Another DOS-question ( this time on CD-ROM ! )

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob FM, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hey guys, I finally got that DOS Version 6.22 I was looking for...and since I didn't ever wanna be caught without it again, I burned it onto a CD-ROM so it would (hopefully) last longer than my floppy copy.
    My question is:
    Why can't I boot from my CD-ROM into DOS, like I can from a floppy?
    (Using W2K, PII-500, 24x spinner)
    I was just trying this as an experiment, but it didn't work. Did I do something wrong, or this just not possible to do?
    Curious in Seattle,
    ~Rob

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Go into the BIOS setup on your PC when you boot-up. ("press F2 for Setup"... or something to that effect)

Depending on your system, you can sometimes designate your boot order in there. Otherwise, I would just create a boot disk that will load your CDROM driver and boot your CD.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Hey Dave,
    Where's the pea soup to go with your signature? [​IMG]

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

You might need to run MSCDEX.EXE which is a generic Microsoft CD-ROM driver.

Ahh, the good old days of DOS... when you actually had control of your own system

5. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hi guys, I set up my bios to boot first from the CD-ROM (just for this test) and it spins the CD-ROM, so I think it recognizes the player....and it is a newer machine in that I've booted and installed W2K-Pro, Win-98 from the CD-player.

Maybe (I'm guessing here) when I DOS from a floppy, it has to load the files into RAM...and it has trouble doing that from the CD-ROM?!?

Anyways, just wondering if any of you guys have ever sucessfully booted into DOS from a CD-ROM? If it's possible, I'll keep trying!

Thanks for the suggestions,

~Rob

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Rob,

Yes, when you boot from the Win2K CD, it should give you a few options. I believe they are:

"Install Windows 2000 from CD"

"Start computer with CD-ROM support"

"Start computer without CD-ROM support"

choosing the second option will boot you into DOS, as will the second option, only MSCDEX will not be run.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Bootable CD-ROM's aren't that hard to do, but they aren't that easy either. [​IMG]
    If you want a bootable DOS CD-ROM you can do it fairly easily in some CD-burning programs like Nero. You need a bootable floppy and can then use that with Nero to create the bootable CD-ROM. A trial version of Nero can be downloaded from http://www.ahead.de
    For creating other types of bootable CD-ROM's it gets trickier. For instance, I created a Windows 2000 bootable with service pack 2 integrated into the install, ie when I install Win 2K it is already at service pack 2 level without need for installing SP2 separately - but I needed help on how to do it. I found it here:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

8. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Thanks guys, I'll keep trying it (using these suggestions)
    [​IMG]
    ~Rob