What's new

3D Another doom and gloom prediction....3-D (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I interact with a lot of young people and very few of them have any interest in theatrical 3D anymore, largely because of the extra expense and because they now view it as a tired gimmick. Of course, they're waiting for the next gimmick! Home 3D to these kids stands even less of a chance what with movies on mobile devices a regular pastime. I'm not trying to belittle anyone here and I'm 54 years old, but I think things like Blu Ray and 7.1 and 3D are largely old man's games. The electronics companies are scrambling to adjust to this mobile-centric world and I just don't see home theater ever being the player it once was. However, my crystal ball is on par with Madame Blanche's so who knows? I hope I'm wrong.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Home theatre isn't going anywhere. 3D was not the savior the CE industry was hoping for. I remember a BD player article trumpeting that "3D penetrated 65% of BD player sales". Nevermind the fact that 3D was bundled with wifi/apps. If it weren't for the increased production necessitated by the "fear of the digital transition"...CE manufacturers wouldn't need to keep the "over-production" up. Seriously....how many of us on here actually "use" the fact our TVs were ready for the digital transition?

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
TravisR said:
I'm not going to try to answer for Sam but I've seen lots of people online who talk about a topic (be it a movie or book or music or 3-D or whatever) that seem offended that anyone could like it and have to endlessly tell them why they're wrong for liking it. No one flat out says "You can not like this" but when they can't just live and let live, it's tough to not read the posts as being told why your thoughts are wrong.
How dare you answer for me while pretending not to! Seriously, I appreciate your response and couldn't have put the matter any better than you have. You nailed it.... the tone of being offended is what rankles me. Thanks!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Professor Echo said:
I interact with a lot of young people and very few of them have any interest in theatrical 3D anymore, largely because of the extra expense and because they now view it as a tired gimmick. Of course, they're waiting for the next gimmick! Home 3D to these kids stands even less of a chance what with movies on mobile devices a regular pastime. I'm not trying to belittle anyone here and I'm 54 years old, but I think things like Blu Ray and 7.1 and 3D are largely old man's games. The electronics companies are scrambling to adjust to this mobile-centric world and I just don't see home theater ever being the player it once was. However, my crystal ball is on par with Madame Blanche's so who knows? I hope I'm wrong.
Yup. Watching movies on a 4" screen with a pair of cheap ear buds. That is a step up. Who knew that devolving to tiny screens and shitty audio would actually be what young people want? Although, I really think that all of these technologies are just going to coexist with each other. Each having their place within an increasingly fragmented entertainment sphere. As for 3D, I don't think the process is dead. There will always be a number of "3D" films released in any given year. What I do think is dead is shooting natively in 3D. I didn't think I'd use the 3D feature on my TV that often, but I find I use it much more than I thought I would. It may not be the sales driver that manufacturers thought it would be, but if 3D is part of the feature set then it is going to get used at one time or another, even if only out of curiousity/

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think four-inch screens are long gone now. I watch movies on my phone all the time. Would I watch BEN HUR? Nah but I do love watching Ken Burns' documentaries and countless other shorts, documentaries, TV interviews, special features and other type stuff. I really can't say I'm interested in buying a 3D television. The gimmick in the theater is getting old and I keep getting burned because I'm hard-headed and simply won't listen to myself. I certainly don't have much desire to watch 3D movies at home more than once. I'd love to catch up with some older 3D movies but I'm not certain I'd go through all the upgrades just to do so.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ok. 4.5" screens. :) See. They are already starting to get bigger. If the sinister trend continues, they'll soon have surround sound, have to be carried around in backpacks and will be called "personal theaters". :D

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
TravisR said:
I'm not going to try to answer for Sam but I've seen lots of people online who talk about a topic (be it a movie or book or music or 3-D or whatever) that seem offended that anyone could like it and have to endlessly tell them why they're wrong for liking it. No one flat out says "You can not like this" but when they can't just live and let live, it's tough to not read the posts as being told why your thoughts are wrong.
You're talking about "people online" and not those who have posted in this thread. I think we all know that across the Internet there is a large number of people who seem to have personality problems and who post aggressive and intolerant messages and sometimes libellous ones too. But in this thread we're discussing whether 3D is dead or not. No-one here has suggested that it's not sensible to enjoy 3D.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
They're advertising the fact that you can watch movies on your mobile phone or tablet, personally I can't think of any film I hate enough to want to watch it like that (but no criticism of anyone that does, honest!). But MP3 was a giant step back in sound quality (but very convient), cassettes saw off Minidiscs, Betamax was better than VHS, so you never know what's going to happen. Quality won't always win. Hollywood has been pushing 3D for a couple of years now, I'm sure that by now they would have thought that audiences would have insisted on it, maybe with no special glasses & no extra fee it would take off. How about just...better movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
You're talking about "people online" and not those who have posted in this thread. I think we all know that across the Internet there is a large number of people who seem to have personality problems and who post aggressive and intolerant messages and sometimes libellous ones too. But in this thread we're discussing whether 3D is dead or not. No-one here has suggested that it's not sensible to enjoy 3D.
Sure but I took the post to be referring broadly to people online and doom & gloom media members (who know that a negative article will likely get more hits than a positive one) rather than pointing at anyone in this thread.
Edwin-S said:
Although, I really think that all of these technologies are just going to coexist with each other.
So do I. If records and mp3s can co-exist, I think Blu-rays and streaming/downloading will be able to do the same for a number of years to come.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
Robin9 said:
No-one here has suggested that it's not sensible to enjoy 3D.
You are correct. My frustration was motivated by the topmost link that the OP provided which you described as "irrational" and "idiotic." Nothing in this thread has been negative.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
The people who keep claiming 3D is dead are apparenlty missing out on the fact that big ticket 3D movies like THE HOBBIT are still coming out. 2012 not only saw that movie, but THE AVENGERS, MEN IN BLACK 3, and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN among others. 2013 is promising IRON MAN 3, THE HOBBIT 2, THOR 2, and MAN OF STEEL among others. If 3D was truly on the way out, only crap like TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D would be coming out, not big movies.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The theatrical boom for 3D is being driven significantly by foreign markets, who have an insatiable appetite for 3D content and now usually surpass the domestic box office for many titles. In North America, the studios have seen 2D ticket sales steadily increasing as a percentage vs 3D ticket sales ( when both versions are offered for a particular title ) as 3D's share of the box office begins to erode. This is especially true for family and animated titles. It's the gimmick films like Texas 3D and Jackass 3D that retain the strongest percentage of 3D vs 2D ticket sales.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
About a year ago there was talk of increasing 2D tickets prices and lowering 3D to the same so there wouldn't be a difference. But, that never happened.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Albert_M said:
People can like what they want. Personally, I'll be happy to see the gimmick end.
Well, now that it's become standard in all sets without fanfare, I'd say the "gimmick" has ended, and the good hardworking daily general use begun. :D

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I think what bothers me most about that article is the "It's Official" proclamation. "Official"? Really? Even if most of the author's points and conclusions were accurate, this is clearly false. 3D would only be "officially" dead if the TV and movie industry proclaimed they were no longer going to support it. When all the studios state they'll cease production of 3D features, when all the cable and satellite companies state that they'll no longer carry 3D content and when all TV manufacturers state that they will no longer build 3D-capable displays, then it will be officially dead. I think most people would agree that 3D hasn't taken off nearly as well as the industry hoped. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who own 3D capable sets don't even watch 3D on them (I haven't even bothered to buy 3D glasses yet for my 3D set). However, it is clearly not "officially" dead, and I think it's even hard to make a case that it's anywhere close to dying. 3D is alive. It might not be doing all that well, but it is clearly still alive.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
3-D will be a niche market feature. The fact is that there is not that much demand for it as very few tvs have the option available. The reason that studios are shoving 3-D movies down our throat is to charge a higher admission price. That will hurt it rather than help it as people will not stand for being gouged.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FrancisP said:
3-D will be a niche market feature. The fact is that there is not that much demand for it as very few tvs have the option available. The reason that studios are shoving 3-D movies down our throat is to charge a higher admission price. That will hurt it rather than help it as people will not stand for being gouged.
(Um, when you were studying logic in high school/freshman year, did they ever bring up the concept of "Begging the Question"? Just curious, seems to be popular with the 3-D bashers. In fact, now that it's a fact that everyone hates it, and we already know that Sony's going to go out tomorrow and announce they're getting out of the business, how will this play out with the public's widespread new acceptance of 4K? :rolleyes: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks