What's new

Another DIY sub with a shiva (1 Viewer)

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of an 8 cubic foot box tuned to 20hz with around 200-300w running to the Shiva. I've done the thing in WinISD Pro, says I should get over 100 db's at 20hz with such a big box. Though this is based on theroy..I was just wonder what you people thought of this design...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I think 8 ft^3 is a little big. Adire's recommended EBS allignment for the Shiva is only 5ft^3. There really isn't much point going any larger.

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
I think I am a hybrid type person. I like car audio as well as Home Theater. In the car audio field I like LOUD SQ. So the bigger the box the better. So I didn't see anything wrong with going bigger than 5 ft. Just me, thanks for you reply though..

Cam S

Screenwriter
Why not throw a Tempest in there instead, that box would be perfect for one, double the output, and SQ out the ass.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I thought that generally referes to sealed boxes where you try and get a q=0.577 (I think that is it) where you have the least group delay....but then again...perhaps I am missing something.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you are used to car audio, I think you'll definately want to consider the Tempest over the Shiva then. Also I don't think you'll care much for EBS allignment home subs. I think you'll want something like the SBB4 allignments in Adire's tech papers.

Say a Tempest in 7ft^3 tuned to 19-21hz with 300W-400W.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Might want to consider the dual Tempest I built if you're used to loud car stuff:

480L sonotube
2 Tempests
250watts per driver

I've measured over 120dB at the listening position. I've had friends of my teenage son say it hits harder than most cars. Sounds good for music and goes very low for HT.

Just do it...Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks