Another Dayton DVC 15": Design me a Box :D

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up 1 12' 24" diameter sonotube, which they cut in half for me, so I know have 2 6' lengths. I ordered the Dayton from PE today, which I hope to get soon.

Taking into consideration this driver, what volume of box should I use. Space is not an issue, except it obviously can't be taller than 6'. I want to port it probably 2 or 3 ports on the base, possible 4" diameter??? What length should they be? Should they be on the bottom with the driver or on top?

I have looked at previously built sonos with this driver and 250L or so is what's the norm. Would I gain anything if I made the volume closer to 350-400L?

The amp I have is a 2-year old 180w-rms plate amp running 4Ohms, so I will wire the DVC in parallel. Right now Im thinking of mounting the amp into a box attached to a cut out in the tube-box in the tube. Will this pose a problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Adam

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about 280-300L tuned to 16hz with a single 6" port for a true EBS allignment. Don't think there is any point in going larger than 300L with a 15"DVC.

3. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

How would I go about tuning to 16Hz, would that be directly related to the length of the port? Also where would the port be, on the top I assume as a 6" port on the bottom with the 15" driver would leave less than 3" spacing all around.

Or

Would you suggest the driver on top and the port on the bottom, does it make a difference?

BTW I have hardwood floors in a 14 x 18 x 12 room.

Thanks alot,

Adam

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Tuning is related to the volume of the enclosure, the cross sectional area of the port and it's length.
    280L would require a 24.8" long 6" inner diameter port
    300L would require a 22.9" long 6" inner diameter port
    in order to tune the enclosure to 16hz.
    I'd for sure put the driver on the bottom and make sure it has at least 4" clearence to the nearest surface. The port can go top or bottom doesn't matter.
    Here's lots of pictures on building a sonosub using 24" sonotube with a tempest and 6" port
    http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html

5. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Bump