What's new

Another Columbia pan & scan travesty - "Castle Keep' (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
BTW, I now have in hand the region 2 of this title which is, of course, anamorphic. It looks fine and I'm looking forward to watching the film

walter o

Supporting Actor
hope they re-visit ANNIE, MOUNTAIN MEN, WHERE ANGELS GO TROUBLE FOLLOW, WHOLLY MOSES, GIDGET,

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
Now if MGM can do the same for the movie Charly, that would be the best news ever. The petition is over 140 signatures and continues to go up. Widescreen does outsell fullscreen.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm glad this was finally released in it's OAR. I'm also glad that we have advocates in the film industry such as George Lucas, Stephen Speilberg, and others. But I do see them as being hypocritcal, since they have both released films in the dreaded pan & scan format. I also wish they would demand this for all releases, not just their particular favorites. Columbia has had a slew of full screen only releases over the past year, and the film community has been mum about it until now. And contrary to what Robert has said, I dont think that that will change without a change in management. I just found out that there are releases planned for January that are full screen only releases. Magic in the Water is one. Karate Kid SE is unknown at this point, but it wouldn't suprise me the plan for that one is full screen as well. After all, the two-disc SE of Matilda was going to be fullscreen as well.

I have added Castle Keep to the victories page at Widescreen Advocate.

walter o

Supporting Actor
well apperently CHARLY has been cancelled and that they are indeed releasing it widescreen in March!!!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well that's good news. I don't get why Studios keep trying to get away with releasing MAR versions of films on DVD when this keeps happening. People uproar and then the Studio either has to delay the title to do a Widescreen transfer or re-issue the DVD in its OAR.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

They should have blackballed it unless there was a release of the ORIGINAL versions! (I know, wrong thread! I just think it's extremely hypocritical for George Lucas to insist that they only be shown in their new versions, but allow a pan and scan release.)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. I wish someone would have hit him with that question when he was doing all his interviews about the set.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Will,

Do you know for sure that Charly is being issued in Widescreen? I have been following this issue very closely with the author of the Charly petition, and as far as I know, we only have anecdotal evidence that it will be released in Widescreen. We do know that the Online Retailers have changed the release date and the aspect ratio info in their online listings, and that alone does suggest that something is changing, but it does not confirm it. Remember, the exact same thing happened to Matilda over a year ago, and it is still up in the air!

If you have other evidence, please share, I'd like to update my site with some more concrete news.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Joshua,

If you are asking me, I really don't know. I was not the one who reported it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks