What's new

Another Classic Film Showing Alert! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The four hour version of the 1927 silent classic "Napoleon" is being shown on Turner Classic Movies on early Monday morning at 12:30 a.m. ET.

On Thursday, February 28th, Fox Movie Channel is showing "The Ox-Bow Incident" at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Crawdaddy

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
I haven't seen Napoleon yet (kind of a shame because I live in Waterloo where he was defeated) but I highly recommend The Ox-Bow Incident, a very powerfull drama...
Vincent

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Last year TCM did a thirty one days of oscar programming for the entire month of march (where everythign that plyaed was at least nominated for an oscar) are they doing this again this year. Looking at a day like MAr 1st, or 16th it seems like they have really great programming for this month

Mar 1st

The 400 blows

little women (1946)

the yearling

Empire of the Sun

National Velvet

Rebel without a cause

Splendor in the grass

to kill a mockingbird

american grafitti

war games

angels with dirty faces

Mar 16th

They were expendable

from ehre to eternity

the dirty dozen

the guns of navarone

sergaent york

casablanca

all quiet on teh western front

the train

mrs miniver

battleground

these look like the two best days in march, but every other day seems unusually exceptional.

Adam

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Napoleon is one of the best silents ever made, period!

I saw it on TCM last month and it was indeed a great presentation. (They also showed the 4-hour version of Greed).

If there was a DVD for Napoleon, I'd buy faster than one of Abel Gance's "Russian montage" sequences!

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
They also showed the 4-hour version of Greed
Last year, TCM Europe showed the shortened version of Greed. I've taped it but I have yet to watch it.
How the two versions compare? Should I brother watching the short version or is it a complete travesty and thus a waste of my time??
Vincent

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Perhaps this deserves its own thread. The director's cut of "The Alamo" (203 minutes, letterboxed) is scheduled on Turner Classics on March 14th at 8:30 p.m. (PST).

Turner's monthly schedule is worth printing. It's loaded with gems.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
A bit late: TCM is halfway through The Sting right now. Never seen it, didn't get the DVD since it's not in the appropriate aspect ratio, now it's on, it's letterboxed, and I've missed it...

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
A bit late: TCM is halfway through The Sting right now. Never seen it, didn't get the DVD since it's not in the appropriate aspect ratio, now it's on, it's letterboxed, and I've missed it...
Good news Dave!
TCM will be showing The Sting again on Saturday, March 30th at 10PM

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Also for anyone trying to watch all the AFI list, the Jazz Singer is finally being shown. Sunday at 8am on TCM.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I think, if they release the Jazz singer on DVD, they should at least atempt to restore the picture and sound if possible. Just like how they did for Citizen Kane. The Jazz Singer is not the best movie it the world, but it is worth a look since it is a milestone.

Since I don't want to spend money on the DVD, does anyone know when "The Birth of a Nation" will be on TCM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks