What's new

another cat healt problem thread (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
There seems to be so many knowledgeable cat people on the HTF. It's my turn to appeal for your wisdom :)

About 2 weeks ago I adopted a cat (my first non-dog pet, you guys converted me:D ) from my local Humane Society. When I got him I was told one of the conditions of the adoption was that I take him to the vet within 5 days. I planned to do that anyway because he seemed like he had a cold.
The vet checked him out and said that he probably got something at the Humane Society, which is apparently pretty common. Anyway, the vet gave me some pink stuff to give him twice a day till its gone. I did that and Pete seems to be in great health now except one thing. He is CONSTANTLY sneezing. Theres cat bogies everywhere!!! I'm getting to the point where I dont want him sitting in my lap because I've had my face sprayed by sneeses twice now. I called the vet today and asked about it and the vet suggested that I get some of that nasal decongestant stuff (for humans) and give it to the cat, a drop in each nostril twice a day for three days.
I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this, and if so, is the Afrin the correct remedy. I ask because this stuff is for stuffed up noses I thought, not sneezing and runny nose. Should I just go with it?

Thanks for the help guys,
Marshall

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When my little buddy had a terrible bout with sneezing years ago, his doc suggested keeping the place draft-free and the heater cranked up (even if it was uncomfortable for me). I did, and Attila's awful nonstop sneezing stopped during the night. It was heartbreaking to see him have to go through all that.

Dan D Burke

Agent
A lot of cats are allergic to dust, dander, etc. My cat sneezes when the air is dry (winter). A humidifier helps significantly.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I've kept the house very warm as Jack suggested. And I've used the Afrin as my Vet suggested. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps it is an allergy since he's still sneezing up a storm. I think a trip to the vet is going to be necessary.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I got my kitten from the Humane Society as well and she was sick when I got her too. THe vet called it "kennel cough" and I have tried three or four different meds and she still sneezes and sprays all kind of snot. I love the cat to death though. The vet cannot figure it out.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My cat had the same kennel cough after I brought him home.. which developed into the same sneezing and cat boogers. In fact he gave it to my existing cat so I had 2 cats with runny noses.

They did slowly get better (a couple weeks).. I remember my wife was just about to take the cat back to the vet to get checked when he started to get better.

Cat snot is gross, though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cat snot is gross, though.
:laugh: Name any snot that isn't. :D

The cat we had while I was growing up didn't sneeze very often, but when she did it was usually when she was sitting in your lap looking at you. :) Sigh...I still miss her. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks