What's new

Another cast member leaving NYPD Blue? (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was reading the NY Post the other day. It had a story about the older detective who appears on the show every once and a while. I don't remember his name. But, he was the guy who tried setting Sipowitz up with his niece. Anyway, it said how he was going to be taking over as Captain of the unit, replacing Esai Morales. When did this happen?? I didn't know if he was leaving. Is it permanent?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It was unclear at the end of last season whether Esai Morales would return at all this season. He has a deal to develop his own show (at ABC, I believe). They left his character's fate uncertain, probably because when the final show of last season was written and shot, things were still up in the air with Morales' future.

It's been obvious (at least to me) from the beginning of this year's episodes that the character of Lt. Rodriguez is headed for the exit. It became inevitable when Capt. Fraker was acquitted for the attempted murder of Rodriguez (an arbitrary outcome, IMO; they had to make the prosecutor behave stupidly to get there).

M.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

My word. I'm about a season behind on NYPD (can't be helped, living out here, I'm just glad we still get it at all), but IIRC he's a complete idiot and incompetent, had cancer, wouldn't get treatment because he couldn't afford to go on long leave, Andy broke a case and let him get full credit (for doing f*ck-all) so he'd get a big promotion to detective first grade, he left for treatment etc, and now suddenly he's a captain? Surely not. He wasn't even a lieutenant yet; even if he comes back as the LT, don't you first have to be a sergeant?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Yeh, I would be very surprised and PO'ed if they brought him in as Lt. There is ano way that guy in real life would become a Lt, he missed the boat 20 years ago to get on that career path.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It is funny. But, that actor was a real NY cop for over 20 years. He was "discovered" and used in a movie a couple of years back and the rest is history

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Fascinating. Thing is, he plays "incompetent detective" so well, it makes you wonder how he did in real life ;)

Also reminds me of Crime Story, Mike Torello v. Ray Luca, i.e. Dennis Farina v. Anthony Sharkey (did I get the name right?), who in real life had in fact been a cop and a convict respectively.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I guess I should clarify, when I said "that guy" I meant "that character". That is interesting about him being a former cop though.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Verrry interesting...
Are we talking about Vince Gotelli who just got caught up in the academy screener bootleg situation?

Rob T

Screenwriter

I believe Rodriguez was a detective in the drug unit when he got promoted to Lt.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Eddie Gibson does'nt make too much sense. I'm not sure who I would've brought in, but not him, actually I do know who I would've brought in. How About almost anyone from Homicide. Or maybe even Bruce Campbell? I thought they should've given the Part of Sips partner to Bruce instead of Gossellar, but they were obviously going the Beautiful People route. Campbell has the acting chops to pull off the Lt. on the show

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
How bout bring Denise Crosby back. She finally gets her own command! And revenge on the 15th squad.

I don't know. Maybe my knee jerk reaction is wrong. Maybe putting Eddie in command will put a new dynamic into the show.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No on Denise Crosby.

Well maybe bringing Eddie Back they could bring back his niece. I thought she was a better fit for Sip than having him married to Blondie there. She was more similar to Sharon Lawrence's character and more believable to who Sip would get. Then they made her character nutty.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, check out ABC tomorrow, Tuesday February 10th at 10:00 PM. You might just be pleasantly surprised. ;)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just read that next year (their 12th season) will be their last. I would love to see them bring Caruso back for an episode or two. I know their are a lot of brusied ego's involved. But, it would be a ratings bonanza.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks