Another burning question: Copying "On-The-Fly" = Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Is it a risky procedure to copy "on-the-fly", meaning from one CD or DVD drive to a CD-R(W) drive without first creating an image on the HD? My laptop has a Toshiba DVD drive and a Matsushita CD-RW drive; both are on the same IDE channel/port/whatever. I've been doing a hella lotta burning lately, duping live shows for trade on the 'net*. I've read on some sites that doing this can be bad and that all CDs should be imaged to a hard drive first and then burnt to prevent problems. So far, I've had no problems. It works, so I don't want to change if I don't have to.

Anyone know about this?

* Yes, this is legal.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For data, on-the-fly is okay, but for some reason, I tend to do a data-dump on the HD for music CD backups (mainly in an effort to avoid tics and pops).

It's best to put the CD drivers on separate/different IDE channels if possible (probably not for a laptop).

How in the world do you fit 2 CD drives in one laptop?

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Patrick, I used a high-end blow torch and ALOT of duct tape. [​IMG]
    The DVD-Rom drive is a "permanent" drive on the left side. The front of the laptop has a bay for either the floppy drive or the CD-RW drive, as well as space for the battery. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100.