Another Boston Acoustics Fan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darrell_B, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Darrell_B

Darrell_B Auditioning

Hey there fellow Boston fans. This is my first post to this forum. I have been a "lurker" for some time. Saw a thread a while back on Boston speakers. Just wanted to get another thread started. I love my Bostons. My current setup includes VR950 mains, VR 12 center, VRSPro THX rears, dual HSU TN1220s, Denon AVR3300. I have not listened to the newest line of Boston, how do they compare to the VR series?

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i was going to go with vr950, but there were a few posters told me that i should go with vr-m50 instead because the bookshelf speaker was better.

i am still waiting for the vr-m50 to be shipped. i should got it either tomorrow, or next monday.

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

4. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from Tweeter after listening to the VR950's playing with the new VRM Center Channel. All I can say is wow! I was particularly impressed with the Center Channel. The source material was the James Taylor concert DVD which I also own. The vocals coming from the center were smoother than any other CC I have heard.

I'm starting to wonder if I should pick one of these up even though it's not "matched" to my mains (Energy C-9's). Boston Acoustics should be getting a LOT more hype on this forum.

5. Darrell_B

Darrell_B Auditioning

Does the VRM center have the same Lynnfield tweeter in it that the VR12 does?

6. felix_suwarno

the bostons were delivered last friday, but the apartment's management office was late to notify me. today i got the notice, but the office is closed on saturdays.

that pisses me off.

and my ps2, or my dvd player stopped working last night. it simply wont read any disc, game or dvd.

all happened when i need entertainment the most - after finishing my final exam!!!

7. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Darrell,
    Welcome. It's always nice to hear from another BA fan. I echo your setiments, I also "love my Bostons." I've had my setup for about six months now, and I swear they sound better everyday. I have the VR-M series (VR-M60's mains, VR-MC center, VR-MX surrounds and Velodyne SPL1200 sub), and while I can't compare them to the VR series, I can say that they sound great. They have a large sound stage, excellent imaging, the highs and mid-range are clear and distinct. I'm in love. Right now, I have them connected to a Denon 2802 receiver but I just ordered a Parasound 855 amp, should be delivered today - can't wait [​IMG].

8. Bradley C

Bradley C Auditioning

I just got a pair of VR-965's after fighting over the standalone sub. Let me tell you these guys KICK BUTT!!

They are great for movies or music. For movies, if you are into wall shaking sound you can get it out of these boys. Incredible bass and sub output for 8 inch 80 watt built in subs.

Just cannot believe the sound for music from the 4 1/2 inch mid and their aluminum tweeter.

This was the best compromise me and the little woman made. I love 'em and actually glad she out fought me for speakers and a seperate sub.

The VR-920 center is amazing also.

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I lived with my 960's w/o a separate sub for 3 years. I just got a SVS 25-31PCi a month or so back. And I must say, the difference is night and day. I think the built-ins are better than no sub at all, but trust me - it's worth the fight to get the separate sub. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow - heck it took me THREE years to convince the girlfriend - but you will definitely notice.

10. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Gotta agree with Dave. The built in sub is a nice feature but I think a dedicated sub would still make a huge difference particularly for HT. The 965's are wonderful speakers though.

11. Bradley C

Bradley C Auditioning

I've tried several subs, even a svs, at my house. My bro has axiom m60's and just got a svs(25-31) sub(because I wanted it!!!).

I much prefer what I have. This is my opinion, yours will vary.

12. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Slightly OT, do any of you have Boston Acoustics car speakers?

I just had a pair of BA Rally RX87 5x7 coaxial car speakers installed over the weekend. I did notice that they were a bit forward sounding with an Alpine HU....listener fatigue set in which resulted in dropping the treble a bit.

Just wondering how much better are the BA components?

One thing to note on the BA coax's is that they are kinda pricey for a coax.

Dave

13. felix_suwarno

i dont even have a car.

but if i did, i would have put the boston on my number one list, simply because i dont know where to start.

14. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I've only had my Boston setup now for about two weeks, but they are just incredible. I have VRM50's and VRMC up front and PSB Image 1b's for the rear. I always thought my PSB's were nice speakers with good detail(I've had them for about a year), but my opinion has changed now that I compare them to the 50's. I realize the 50's cost about $500 more, but the difference is just unbelievable. The amount of detail the 50's have and the image they produce is just amazing. I love it when people come over and don't think much of the setup when looking at it, since the 50's are so small. But after the first fight scene in Blade they are ALL believers. The 50's on their Bell'O stands strafing my new Mitsu 46" widescreen sure do look nice!

DavidY --I have a new pair of Boston 4x6 plate speakers in my Truck. They are very different sounding than the VR-M50's I have at home. They are much, much brighter, and don't have near the mids that the vrm's do.

15. felix_suwarno

yep nick, i got the same impression. in my case, the vr-m50 is 300 bucks more expensive than the psb image 1b. and yes, the difference is night and day. i dont consider the vr-m50 as small though. in fact, they are bigger than what i imagined.

do you have timbre matching problem? i watched black hawk down and thirteen days today. to my untrained ears, even though i noticed how different both speakers is, i didnt really hear any problem. the bostons seem to dominate the psb. or maybe i need another dvd to show the timbre matching prob.

i think i am perfectly happy with this setup, and i am still wondering why people keep talking about divas and axioms while the vr-m50s are this good.

i spent 967 bucks shipped on a pair of vr-m50 and a vr-mc, factory sealed. a pair of diva 2.1 and c3 center is 900 bucks, and the shipping cost is not included. you can audition the bostons at a dealer, while you need to audition the divas at home at your expense.

but i do think the divas look goorrrrgeoouusss.

16. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

What kind of stands are you using for your 50's? I picked up The Bell'O international SPC-300M. They look incredible together. I'll try to post some pics on my web page as soon as I get a camera. They look really good sitting next to the Mitsu 46809. It is a little weird sometimes, I went from having my 19" tv strafed by my psb's to having the VR-M series and a 46" HD Big Screen. I'd say it was worth the wait.
    I got a pretty sweet deal on my speakers too. I paid $640 for the 50's and Center. But my brother sells them so I got his discount [​IMG] (and 1300 for the TV[​IMG]
    As far as the timbre matching, I haven't noticed any problems. The bostons definetely over rule them in treble since the psb's are so veiled in the high end anyways. But I think they make excellent surroung speakers. Watching Black Hawk Down was as thrilling as it was in the threater...maybe even better!

17. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

I almost didn't buy my new house cause my VR970's simply weren't gonna fit in my new living room[​IMG] But now my bedroom is a lot more easier to hang out in[​IMG] with the 970's in there. It's complete overkill for a small bedroom of course but I couldn't stand the thought of selling them. I have never used them with a sub but think I might try it just for the fun of it. I also fell in love with the VRM 50's they are "super crispy" (as someone else put it) and really suprise you with their sound [​IMG]

18. felix_suwarno

nick i dont use a stand. i only use a cheap "sterrilite" plastic drawers, bought from target.

and i think vr970s in bedroom is overkill! i mean, they are such a beast. my wife would kill me if i put towers in there!

19. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Since I'm a longtime Boston Acoustics owner I may as well jump into this convo, and ask a quick question or two.

I have VR-950 mains, VR-10 center, and PV600 sub. My surrounds are Def Tech BP1Xs (temp solution that ended up lasting 2 years, great speakers) but I'm looking to replace them with Boston VRS Pros, that is If I can find any.. any sellers????

The VR-950s have always been strong performers, some of the best speakers I've heard, with great highs mids, and even lows. BA has kept them on the market for many years and they're still selling. My sub is a great sounding sub all around. It is a sub you can actually hear as well as feel, especially for it's small size. When I added the center I got a whole new dimesnion on the front stage. I might consider going with a VR-12 if I can find one to get a little more boom from the center channel.

One thing I have to ask... which would sound better... VRS Pros, or VRMX surrounds. Opinions? I'm looking for theatrical performance with a THX receiver in Digital and DPL2 and NEO 6. Thanks everyone. Only thing is the VRMX cost so much.

20. felix_suwarno

awww come on. vr-mx all the way. should be less than 600 bucks shipped from ebay.