What's new

Another boring (but short) 20-39CS+ SVS Review!! (1 Viewer)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
What? 20-39CS+ and a 1000 Watt Sampson amp.

Replacing? Take 5 eight inch subwoofer

Speakers? B&W CDM7NT

Results?

I started off calibrating the subwoofer with AVIA, set at 75 db, no more.

Next I went to a reference CD (Sheffield Sampler disc) that I have used to judge just about every speaker system in the Tampa Bay area (many of which were way over my budget!!). With the 20-39CS+ my speakers sounded brand new, like I have never heard before. Even with music that was not typically low frequency, there was a definitely improvement.

On to U-571, a Christmas gift I waited until tonight to open - I increased the subwoofer 3 db. Torpedos and depth charges were overwhelming. I played it LOUD!!! Now to the beauty of the 20-39CS+. My room is 27 X 18 X 8. No bottoming out at all. I'm sure the 20-39CS would have sounded just as good, but I'm not sure it would have kept up with the reference volume level in this larger room.

I have picked up a small ground loop that can only be heard at the lowest of sound levels. I'll do a search tomorrow and see what is the best way to get rid of it. It seems to come and go, which I find really wierd.

Packaging is awesome. The better cable is inside the sealed Sampson amp box. (I first though it was forgotten!) My wife found the 20-39CS+ much smaller and much better looking than she expected. (I guess I primed her too much.)

Thanks SVS and thanks to all of you on the board that recommended them!!

Joe

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
One quick update!

Ron, from SVS, read my post and couldn't stand it that everything wasn't 100% perfect. He sent me an Email and politely reminded me that the Quick Start sheet that came with the sub mentioned what to do about my ground loop. (My 17 year old son was in charge of reading the Quick Start, he gets his impatiance from me.)

I did what Ron suggested and fixed everything - perfectly!!!

If you spend any time at all on this forum you know how highly everyone thinks of SVS products and services. Let me assure you all this praise is warranted!

Mark me as one delighted customer - hell, I was delighted before Ron's last Email!

(Ron, we are setting up Toy Story intro right now at +7db!!)

Joe

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Joe,

Thanks again for the kind words. You said:

"Ron, we are setting up Toy Story intro right now at +7db!!"

The intro and first 10 min are just about the most intense subwoofer workout on the planet. If you keep your master level and overall calibration at semi-sane levels it's simply the best check out DVD I think you can use.

PS Don't miss the "Monsters Inc." promo. That is just stunning when your sub is dialed in just right.

Ron

Jason Price

Second Unit
Where can I get this Quick Start sheet? My 20-39CS+ didn't come with one, and I'm curious what's on it...

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Mine was in the plastic folder with the manual (I think). It's called "Quick Start Setup!" It mentions 1)Why SVS no longer uses spikes (cause no one used them and they didn't make anything sound better), 2)How to calibrate(covered in manual), 3)Where to put the sub (in the corner), 4)What cables to hook up(covered in the manual), 5)connecting to Sampson Amp (also in manual), 6)"Have a buzz?" (which is what I needed. SVS recommends a 3 to 2 prong plug for external amps and reversing the polarity of the plug for the PC), and the last topic is how to set the sub's level, also covered in the manual.

If you read the manual you should be fine except for the two topics I mentioned (spikes and buzz). If you are like me, you downloaded the manual long ago and practically had in memorized while waiting on the sub.

Hope you are enjoying your 20-39CS+ as much as we are enjoying ours!

Joe

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jason,

I probably ought to post that on the website but check your mail, I just sent you one.

Sorry for the omission.

Ron

Jason Price

Second Unit
There was a manual, too? Ack! Didn't get that, either. :frowning: I was wondering why there was no documentation, hehe...
I'll fire you off an email, Ron...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks