What's new

Another big run series is reportedly on the way (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'll throw in a guess: How about "One Day at a Time?" It ran 9 seasons, but it did have one release.

As to which company may be involved, I know vei likes to release complete series sets like Mod Squad and McMillan and Wife.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'd be very happy if it was "Death Valley Days." I've seen seven episodes in the last couple of years, 3 on VHS, 3 on DVD and one on YouTube and I've enjoyed every one of them. This or Dragnet and I'd be happy.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm going to throw The Lineup, aka San Francisco Beat, out there. It ran for 6 seasons, about 200 episodes, and to my knowledge has never been available in any form. In syndication terms, I would think that 200 episodes would count as "massive".

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see the original Dragnet remastered in a big set. The later color series is already on DVD, and only a bunch of PD episodes of the 1950s series have come out. For those of us who grew up in the 70s, we were weaned on the color series, so it would be great to see the complete 1950s version on disc.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Oh, Life of Riley! Heard the radio show but never saw a tv episode. Never saw Death Valley Days. Maybe I can find something on Youtube. I'm all for a good western. Would love to see Burns and Allen though.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Life of Riley with William Bendix might be interesting but 2 épisodes were released by Alpha Video a while ago ( with 2 épisodes of Our Miss Brooks) so I guess it's out of the picture

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Bob_S. said:
Oh, Life of Riley! Heard the radio show but never saw a tv episode. Never saw Death Valley Days. Maybe I can find something on Youtube. I'm all for a good western. Would love to see Burns and Allen though.
Same here. I've heard my dad talk about the show but never saw it. We have a friend named Riley who's a preacher and sings/picks guitar. My dad was teasing him during a church function one day about having a TV show named for him!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Bob_S. said:
Someone uploaded a ton of Death Valley Days episodes to YouTube, both color and b&w ones, so you should be able to find them easily enough.

"Life of Riley" was still being syndicated to TV back in the late 1970s. In New York, it was shown at an ungodly hour, so I had to stay up really late or get up super early, depending on when it was. But I enjoyed it immensely. They ran the Jackie Gleason episodes first (those are borderline surreal) and then the more famous William Bendix episodes. It had been on when I was a kid and I did see some Bendix episodes when I was quite young, but I had only vague memories of it when I revisited the series approx. 35 years ago. And before the late '70s I had never seen any of the Gleason episodes.

Gleason and Bendix had completely different approaches to the role. Gleason was more manic, Bendix was more reactive. Both great actors, though.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont know anything about the life of riley. but i currently am acquainted with a girl of that name.

and i kid her about it every once in awhile.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
whatever the series is, i hope they are restoring it from the originals, so that we have it saved for posterity !!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would love to have all 514 episodes of Peyton Place restored and released this year which would be a massive release. The 50th anniversary of the show this year could mean it is the one. The episodes from Shout never had the quality of Voyage or Time Tunnel.The PP release could include the complete series release with the unreleased 3 reunion movies the 2 year run of the daytime soap Return to Peyton Place with extras. I cannot think of any other series out there. I thought Ben Casey was a very good guess along with Lassie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
"Long unavailable in any form" in complete series form that is. Lassie is the only series that makes any sense. It is a well known classic show from the golden age of television, it is massive, and has never been handled in even a complete season format.
I don't want to stir up trouble, but frankly I just don't see Peyton Place, or Death Valley Days selling anywhere near what Lassie would. A massive undertaking as described could only be reserved for an iconic character and a no risk, hot seller.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Bryan^H said:
"Long unavailable in any form" in complete series form that is. Lassie is the only series that makes any sense. It is a well known classic show from the golden age of television, it is massive, and has never been handled in even a complete season format.
I don't want to stir up trouble, but frankly I just don't see Peyton Place, or Death Valley Days selling anywhere near what Lassie would. A massive undertaking as described could only be reserved for an iconic character and a no risk, hot seller.
Lassie has been out on DVD and the 3 TV packages of the 1950s-1970's series plays heavily.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
LASSIE makes the most sense as far as being relatively financially stable, given that it's more easily marketed than the other suggestions offered thus far. But it still doesn't fit the "long unavailable" status unless that was being referred to in a "complete" sense. DEATH VALLEY DAYS fits, but only as Brad and I indicated above, if it's being prepped for Encore Westerns or as an executive favored Timeless release or both. In any event, I'm sure Neil is having lots of fun with all our speculating. Knowing him as I do though, I'm guessing he has solid information and is not just baiting us for amusement.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd love if it was the Life of Riley,

Not a big western fan so it sounds like Death Valley Days might not be up my alley. I'll watch Western movies and tv series in moderation, but I wouldn't invest much in a big DVD collection of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks