Another big run series is reportedly on the way

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, Feb 24, 2014.

1. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Dragnet 5X sort of fits "long unavailable in any form", if you exclude the bootlegs recycling the same 30 episodes.

And I hope that's what it is.

/or Burns and Allen. Lassie would be nice too.

I'm leaning toward Dragnet 5X because that hasn't even seen the light of day in Syndication since, what, the 1960s? That's long unavailable.

2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    While I'm not doing cartwheels over the 50's Dragnet set I have it isn't technically a bootleg. It may be rinky-dink, but it's not bootleg in the stick sense of the word.

Gary "not disagreeing with any of the guesses, just not sure exactly what Neil means by his description of the series" O.

3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    You're right, my mistake... they're public domain, not bootleg. The quality is usually horrible, but those episodes are free game for any company since they lapsed into PD.

4. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    "The Hollywood Palace" (1964-1970)

Where Jack Jones and Henny Youngman would rub up against James Brown one week and Bob Newhart would share the stage with Liberace the next. Arthur Godfrey and the Mamas and the Papas one week, Eydie Gorme and the Rolling Stones the next. Bing Crosby, Milton Berle and Jimmy Durante sing a song called "The Good Old Days," only to be followed in the same episode by Ravi Shankar performing "Raga" and the Association singing "Never My Love." Janis Joplin one week, Sergio Franchi and the King Family the next. Only in Hollywood of the 1960s.

(Although my avatar should tell you where my heart really lies in this matter.)

5. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Another thing to keep in mind with Lassie is the purchase of Classic Media by Dreamworks Animation back in mid-2012. Classic Media looked more content to just syndicate Lassie then do that much from a DVD release stand point. But now with Dreamworks involved just maybe they will take ownership of Lassie to the next level. Even though it is an animation division it is famiy oriented and should have the budget backing to pull it off. They've had about 18 months since the purchase so having remastered 80 episodes could fit within their plans if that was a goal of the purchase. If so, hopefully they would take an approach that prepares it for the longer term future by remastering to HD.

Gary OS likes this.
  6. JMas

JMas Stunt Coordinator

How about The Millionaire? 6 seasons (1955-1960) with 205 episodes. All I've ever seen available commercially are a couple of VHS tapes a long time ago.

7. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dreamworks is in a rush to get Lassie done sooner than later. Especially if a certain current court battle ends a certain way, since then as the owners to the Lassie brand they are going to be hating a date later this century.

8. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure quite a few volumes of 'Lassie' were released in Germany so notunavailable in any form.

Gary OS likes this.
  9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Maybe daytime programs? Talk shows, game shows or soaps? I can think of very few massive primetime shows that don't have at least one release.

10. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Most of this stuff has been wiped long ago. I don't see it.

11. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I'm guessing most of the early Ed Sullivan so I'm guessing that's a new go. Besides, even it was an option, I don't know if it would even sell well enough to make a company a profit from a massive investment like that. Remember that for every Beatles and Doors on there, you also had three times as many forgotten stars of that time and unknowns. I don't see it.

For whoever mentioned Our Miss Brooks, that doesn't meet the criteria of 80 done and "lots to go" by a longshot.

I'm sticking with Benny or Lassie

12. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    77 Sunset Strip?

davidHartzog likes this.
  13. maskedmala

maskedmala Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    Yes! 77 Sunset Strip

Frank Soyke likes this.
  14. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    This is actually not a bad guess and could by some definitions be considered "massive," but I can't imagine much of a market for this series, though I know it is beloved in more than a few circles. I'm loving this thread. Just when I was about to pack it in at HTF and go fishin', I'm reminded of the days when this forum used to be positive and fun.

15. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    DEATH VALLEY DAYS

Massive Series, not see in a couple of decades!

452 Episodes!

Gary OS likes this.
  16. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    to go in another direction chronologically, both Lou Grant and Empty Nest might qualify (depending on how you define 'massive')

17. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Ooh, I like this guess. It does meet all the criteria, if Neil was being literal with his description of it being a show that hasn't had any type of release previously.

Gary "I'd love to have at least a portion of this show in my collection" O.

Rob_Ray likes this.
  18. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Another vote here for DEATH VALLEY DAYS!

19. John Karras

John Karras Stunt Coordinator

Lawrence
    My money is on either Lassie or Death Valley Days, both of which certainly qualify as massive. Death Valley Days especially meets the not available in any form qualifier and has been on the radar for a few companies who have attempted to interest a rather apathetic rights holder (Borax Corporation).

20. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Oh, boy I love a puzzle. This was my guess. My reason, I have been an avid reader of Neil Brock's posts for years, and he has previously commented on this show a number of times, particularly how it was owned by its sponsor and how the sponsor was not interested in releasing it (at least previously). As it meets the criteria of his post and as I know that he has had a running interest in it, I vote for Death Valley Days as the most likely answer. If so, HOORAY!