What's new

Another BFD question, and a Stryke question (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I'm using a BFD to EQ stereo subs and just want to confirm that I am doing it right.
Using preset 5, I decoupled the left and right engines. To make it easier I use six filters on the left channel for one sub and six on the right for the other, saved my settings and voila.
On the display now only one of the engines has a light showing ('cos they are decoupled), I'm assuming this makes no difference?
Also, I've asked this elsewhere but I may as well do so here to get your opinions too. I just sold my Velodyne LFE sub and I was going to replace it with an SVS 20-39. However, for a few hundred more I can do the Stryke 15.2 using the prebuilt dual 18 PR cabinet on their site.
Worth the extra bucks?
Cheers
Steve

Julian Data

Second Unit
Steve,
That's a good question. When I had the FBD, I didn't separate the engines although I wasn't running the subs in stereo config either. I still don't understand why you need to eq each sub in stereo mode as I would just rather take the sum of the responses at the listening positions and then modify the signals for both subs using the same engine.
------------------

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Julian,
I measured the subs separately and the response was very different for each one, so it made sense for me to do them separately.
Also I am EQing from about 120Hz down so I definately do not want to sum that high.
Steve

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Steve,
What is significant to consider with the HE15 sub in comparison to the SVS subs is that the HE15 will require a good deal more power to get maximum performance from it. For the volume of the box, it's a monster. I would expect the new SVS subs with the bigger TV12 driver to compare very favorably to the HE15 sub, where possible peak output levels will be higher from the larger 15" driver and the 18" PRs. So factor in the purchase something like a Crown K1/K2 or maybe a QSC PLX amplifier if the quiet fan noise is workable for you. Also, the HE15 is unfinished. This will be either a blessing or a pain for you, but if you want to, you could ultimately have any cabinetmaker finish the box for you. No question the HE15 does sound awesome and I had used the prototype sub pictured at the Stryke audio site to fill 2 different, MONSTEROUS open style great room theaters with no problems of bottoming... just rattling light fixtures :).
Mark Seaton

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
As it happens I have a spareish amp available that does indeed put out 2 x 1000 watts into four ohms, as well as various Mirage outboard crossovers and a BFD. Plus I quite like being able to finish the sub to fit my decor. I really hate natural wood finishes so the ability to avoid them is good.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.