What's new

Another Best Speaker thread =) (1 Viewer)

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
First of all, this is my first post to the HTF so, hi :)

My question is that, I'm piecing together my home theater over the next few months, and I just want to ask your opinions on a question I have.

I'm going to be ordering an SVS 29-31pci sub next week to start off my system, does anyone know of a good surround speakers package (preferably ~$500) or a good set of mains for about the same price. I'd like to get surround all in one shot, but If I'm going to get a significantly better setup out of buying a center and two rears later on when my budget allows, then I'll settle at just buying the mains for now.

I was thinking maybe some Paradigm monitors as I see those for around 300 or so, but will they play up to reference volumes? My goal for my setup is to be able to hit reference without any distortion, even though I will probably never play that loud, that's the kind of power I'm hoping for.

I've tried searching, but I also wanted to post a thread on it.

Thank you in advance guys/gals :)

- matt

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Matt.

What size room are you putting your speakers in? It makes a difference, as your goal is to be able to hit reference levels.

I assume that you already have a receiver. What model? And I assume that you have some speakers already, as your first purchase is a sub.

But if this is an incorrect assumption, you might want to rethink building your system from the sub as your base. Nothing at all against SVS as they make a very fine product, but by locking yourself into SVS, you might be missing out on some very fine package deals.

A final question: what is your overall budget? You have indicated ~$500, which I assume to be in addition to the sub. This means that you plan on spending about half your budget on the sub. Now this may well be the most important thing for you, but there are other ways to spend a balanced $1,000 or so that might better suit your needs. Personally if I were spending $500+ on a sub, I’d spend another $1,5000–$2,500 on the other speakers.

But that is just me.

Finally I suggest that since you appear to accept the Internet-direct model, you consider products from Axiom, Ascend and Rocket for your speakers as well. I think that they provide very good value.

I think that with a little more information, you will receive plenty of suggestions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The speakers playing to reference level has less to do with the speaker and more to do with your amplification. You will do MUCH better starting with mains for under $500, and adding on vs $500 for all.

My Monitor 5s are 92dB efficient and my CC370 is 93dB, and they have no problem reaching and exceeding ref. The Mini Monitors don't move quite as much air, but they sound very similar, and they are very decent for the price.

In this price range, I would strongly recommend considering Axiom speakers. I find them a bit better than the Monitor line, and also less expensive. For a little more than Minis, but still under $500, you can get the M22Ti.

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
The only reason I plan on getting the sub first is because I found a deal on a used one over the interenet, other than that I agree that I probably should start with mains first.

So far I have nothing, no reciever, nothing, and that is simply because I have a few audiophile friends that might let go of their recievers to me for good prices, so the reason I'm doing it like this is simply because most of it is used components and if I want the deal, I have to jump on it :)

I just started looking at Axiom's M2i's, and I like those very much, I will probably go for a surround package by Axiom, SVS sub, and any decent reciever I can find.

And as for my room size, it is about 17' x 25'

- matt (I realize also buying used stuff isnt always the best, but I'm in college, so I do what I can :) )

george king

Supporting Actor
First, welcome to the forum. Second, buying used is a good option. That said, you may want to contact Brian at
Link Removed I believe he has a pair of GR Research AV-1 speakers for sale for around $500. He could also build you a pair of M-1s which get good reviews.

Or, you might be able to swing 5 RADMicros for around $500, which would be an option since you have the sub.

Hope this helps, and Brian is a great guy. And does great work Here is an example

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
The Quintets are to small to sound good, most of the lower mids will be played by the sub. Still, I recomend you horn speakers to achieve what you want. Most other speakers will be seriously compromised with the highest SPL peaks, a horn speaker OTOH will keep going without problems up to every peak at reference levels.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Buying things used is really the way to go. I know that when I upgrade, which seems to be a lot, I let my stuff go at a fraction of what I paid for it. Several of my friends made me promise when I do upgrade that I give them first dibs on what I am replacing.

Make sure you go out and listen to different types of speakers! One may say Klipsh is the way to go and other may say Energy or this brand or that brand is the way to go. You will only know if you can listen to the different types of speakers.

I personally do not like the way Klipsh speakers sound. I do not like the horn sound. Probably because I am used to the tweeter sound. Now, I really like the sound of my planer speakers which does not use a tweeter or a horn! Point is, you do not know what you are going to like without listening to the differnt types of speakers.

If my budget was $500, I would get the Home Theater Direct Level III Bookshelf speakers for $219 for my mains and the Home Theater Direct Level III Center Channel for $149 for my center channel and some Home Theater Level I speakers for the rear. That would be under budget and I think for the money, they sound incredible.

Jeff Aguilar

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I suggest to start with the mains and center instead. it's better idea top timbre match you 3 front speaker. on the speaker part, take a look at the Axiom. plenty of positive reviews here. and welcome to the forum.

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
Yeah I am definitely going to timbre match my speakers, I've heard some "mix n match" systems that just sound horrible because the center was was top of the line and mains were just pathetic. I wont go that route.

Jeff, I like those HTD speakers. They're astehetically pleasing also, which is a plus (though not a requirement). My goal is to hit reference, but I really wont be dissapointed if I cant hit reference, I'd like a good blend of quality.

Anyways, thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I'll be posting more I'm sure :)

- matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll be selling my 5s (v2) and CC370 (v3) as soon as I get my GR A/V-2s (scheduled to be delivered Fri) from Brian. I'll second Brian's work, though I have not heard any of his designs, I've seen his work on GR's stuff.

Shoot me an e-mail if you might be interested (depending on where you live), the prices will be in your price range.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Woah, woah... the amplifier has more to do with output capability than the speaker? I would think that if you want big sound, you should get efficient (and probably larger) speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, that is not to say the speakers are not a factor. Ability to hit reference levels without distortion will require appropriate amplification for a given speaker, is a more complete explaination of what I meant. Even very efficient speakers could struggle if they do not get the power needed.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
John,

Right, that makes sense. But I think that a 50 watt amplifier can sound a good bit more powerful than most people realize. I have a feeling mini-monitors driven by 200 watts would not go as loud (cleanly) as, say, a Klipsch floorstander with 20 watts. I find that speaker distortion starts creeping in at a relatively low level whereas decent amplifiers are clean out to a good fraction of their rated output.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Actually - I would have to say that starting w/ the SVS wasn't a half bad idea - even if it was by coincidence. Having a quality sub to compensate your speakers will make a fairly noticable difference in the quality of your sound - that and that SVS will probably be in your setup for quite a while till everything else in your setup has finally caught up to it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I agree... most people wait until they have had their speakers for awhile to finally get a sub then wondered what they ever did without it. You have a good sub. Now go out and find you some good speakers. Good luck and welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks