Another beautiful victory!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Yes, ladies and gentlemen...after a week of waiting, Tyrone Willingham brought his Fighting Irish home to play the Purdue Boilermakers...and once again, the Irish trounced the competition, winning 24-17. Okay...maybe trounced isn't the right word, but still, it's a win.

The Irish are now 2-0, 9 left to go. Why don't we just save the trouble of playing the season and just declare the Irish the National Champions? I mean, it's going to happen anyways...

GO IRISH

**this has been a Public Service Announcement from your friendly, heavily biased Domer, Rob.**

2. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

As a Boilermaker alumni and fan, this was one of the most frustrating losses to Notre Dame in many a year. Purdue's defense totally dominated the Irish, only to be let down by lousy special teams and offensive ball handling. I wouldn't be very proud of this victory, considering that your kicker is a big question mark, your quarterback looked frightened and indecisive, and you got beat for a touchdown on a punt return when at least 4 of your guys had a shot at the tackle. Yes, I am a sore loser on this one, but you were the one who called this victory "beautiful". It was uglier than Lou Holtz in a dress. [​IMG]
    Brad

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Will the ND offense ever score a touchdown this season?

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

As a lifelong Notre Dame fan let me say that a National Championship won't happen this year or next. Ty has too much retooling to do with the offense, before Notre Dame can be competitive in the National title picture. If they win eight games then this season has been very successful which should help their recruiting efforts. Notre Dame needs more impact players at the skill positions such as the caliber of players at Miami, Florida State, and Oklahoma.

Crawdaddy

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob said:

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I love it when Michigan wins, and I love it when ND loses. I hope neither team disappoints me this week!

8. Rob Tenniswood

Crawdaddy - In all honesty, I'm quite sure that the Irish have little to no chance of a National Championship this year. I mean, coming into the season, I said that if they lost every game, I'd be okay with it simply because Willingham is having to come in and clean up the s**t-mess that Davie made in his last few years here. However, that being said, the team is looking better than last year. Granted, we've played two games, scoring 46 points combined without getting a single offensive touchdown, but I don't think that'll last too long. Willingham is not pleased with the offensive line, and he's working them to the bone in practice. So yeah, maybe it won't be a National Championship year, but, compared to last year, this is gonna be one helluva year...know what I'm saying?

Jim_F - lol. Why bother to 'hate ND'? I can understand just not being a fan (for instance, I'm not a fan of Bowling Green...I don't hate them...pretty much indifferent), but I just can't get my head around hating a team.

Keith - It's a loft...not a bunk bed. *hang head in shame*

9. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Rob,
    Ther's nothing rational about my 'hating. Why do I 'hate Michigan State? It would make sense for them to be my second favorite or even my favorite team, but where's the fun in that?

There was a time when I liked ND. Then they renewed their rivalry with Michigan and in my (extremely biased) view, ND was getting all the calls in their favor. And lo, a hate was born.

It's great fun to root for a favorite team and it's a joy to appreciate a well played game, but it's also a hoot to watch a hated rival get spanked.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I am a fairly twisted individual.

10. Rob Tenniswood

11. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob said:

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

All Michigan fans are required to hate both Notre Dame and Ohio State. I think it's a law. [​IMG] Michigan State is more like an annoying little brother who sometimes gets in your stuff.
    It's great to have the Irish back on Michigan's schedule this season.

14. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michigan fans hate Ohio State? No kidding! Who woulda thunk it? Right. [​IMG]
    I went to Penn State and Illinois, two Big Ten schools that aren't hated by fans like some other Big Ten schools. Illinois isn't hated because it hasn't been competitive in football consistently. Penn State isn't hated as much as some Big Ten schools because it is still relative new to the conference and has not been around long enough to develop deep rivalries. Also, Penn State football hasn't been so competitive the last few years. It's hard to hate a team that loses a good bit of its big conference games. [​IMG] Hopefully my schools will be competitive to the point where they are hated deeply by everyone. It's something to shoot for. [​IMG]

16. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I hardly call that a great victory. The score should have been 10-3 purdue winning. ND's offense is so weak. They couldn't even score from the three yard line. Not only that, I'm sure you could count the number of first downs on one hand. The only reason ND has won two games thus far is because the opponent made a couple of mistakes. There was not great defensive play that made the purdue player fumble the ball on the kick-off return.

Of course, I'm a purdue alumni and fan so I'm a bit dissappointed. And yes, a purdue fan is supposed to hate ND and IU.

-------
    Why don't we just save the trouble of playing the season and just declare the Irish the National Champions? I mean, it's going to happen anyways...
    --------

This is the typical arrogance that makes people not like ND. Just wait until this weekend when Michigan punishes ND. It will be winning ugly for the Wolverines and will hopefully get ND knocked off of any ranking.

17. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

18. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

What is the difference between Cheerios and Notre Dame? Cheerios deserves to be in a Bowl!

Old, yes, but true this again this year.

19. Rob Tenniswood

20. Scott Merryfield

Supporter