Another Anamorphic squeeze question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete P, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Pete P

Pete P Auditioning

My new 4:3 Sony 32FV27 will automatically detect and do "the squeeze" on anamorphic DVDs. My only DVD player currently available is a playstation2 (I know.....ugh!) and I would like to know which setting to use on it in order to generate the squeeze. My choices:

4:3 Letterbox (the default)

16:9

Thanks

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Although I am not sure whether the Playstation passes through the anamorphic signal to automatically trigger the squeeze, you should set the player to 16:9 mode all the time when your TV has both aspect ratios. You may have to manually choose the aspect ratio at the TV.
    If you put the player in 4:3 mode, it will downconvert the anamorphic disk picture, losing all advantages of the squeeze on the TV.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

I got a 27" wega and a PS2 as my DVD player. I have it hooked w/component cables, and when I do the Enhanced 16:9 mode, all it seems like it does is make the picture even more flat. I never watch movies like that just because the people look flatter and stuff. It basically just looks like its squeezing it all into a smaller area.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Select 4:3 mode on the TV when viewing a non-anamorphic (non-16:9 enhanced) DVD including letterboxed movies.