What's new

Another Amp question, sharing a center with a sub (1 Viewer)

Steve_D

Second Unit
OOPS title should be sharing a center amp with a sub!
I would like to upgrade my center channel to an external amp. I currently use a B&K Ref 4420 Main L/R and Denon 3801 for the other channels except of course the .1 is an SVS 16-46 with a Marantz MA700.
I was thinking (cost wise) if i bought another used B&K Ref 4420, I could use one channel for my center and one for the sub, and then sell the MA700, for a total upgrade cost of only about $300.
Since the Ref 4420 is a dual mono design, it's not like the center's power supply would be "compromised" by pairing it with a sub.
Good idea or not?
The other option is to find a good 3 channel and sell my existing B&K 4420. But I'm VERY happy with the 4420 for main L/R.
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Steve_D on August 13, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
quote: OOPS title should be sharing a center amp with a sub![/quote]
Header changed.
wink.gif

quote: I was thinking (cost wise) if i bought another used B&K Ref 4420, I could use one channel for my center and one for the sub, and then sell the MA700...[/quote]
I would definitely keep that MA700 - a very popular and well regarded amp, now discontinued - and use it for the center channel. Isolating the center channel with a monoblock can really improve the front soundstage as it is never challenged by what is happening with the mains (conversely as well).
quote: Since the Ref 4420 is a dual mono design, it's not like the center's power supply would be "compromised" by pairing it with a sub.[/quote]
I would think that for each amp section to be truly isolated from the other it would have to be a true mono design. Others will be able to speak to this more accurately, but I would suggest that with a sub of the calibre of the SVS you would be better off with a dedicated amp. For and extra $100 (ie. total $399) you could keep the Marantz and buy a Samson S700 amp just for the sub from Link Removed . I would think this would yield the overall best performance.
This would be the route I would take.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
[Edited last by Jay Mitchosky on August 14, 2001 at 08:36 AM]

Steve_D

Second Unit
Thanks Jay for the title change :)
I want to use the same type amp across the front 3. This precludes using the MA700 for the front, since Main L/R are B&K. I did think about using the MA, but quickly decided not to after testing Marantz mono blocs for my Main L/R.....
The dual mono design shares one path across channels, the power cord and switch. There is 2 of everything besides that including torroidal power supplies, put into one chasis.
I thought about a pro style amp, like the Samson or a Crest Audio, but have 2 concerns:
1) Fan noise
2) They don't store energy in big caps like high current "audiophile" designs. For instance, the Crest 4a draws 6 amps at 1/3 power, and up to 15 amps at full rated output. While this may be fine in a professional setting with multiple 20 or 30 amp circuits, I have one 15 amp circuit dedicated to the HT. If I have one component drawing over half the amps....what do the rest have to work with? By contrast, the dual mono B&K can deliver 75 amps of current...but max draw is only 6.8 amps. Yes, I need to have an electrician out to run some more dedicated circuits...but that is a winter project when I have time and desire to re-paint the walls.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks