Another Amp question, sharing a center with a sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_D, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

OOPS title should be sharing a center amp with a sub!
    I would like to upgrade my center channel to an external amp. I currently use a B&K Ref 4420 Main L/R and Denon 3801 for the other channels except of course the .1 is an SVS 16-46 with a Marantz MA700.
    I was thinking (cost wise) if i bought another used B&K Ref 4420, I could use one channel for my center and one for the sub, and then sell the MA700, for a total upgrade cost of only about $300.
    Since the Ref 4420 is a dual mono design, it's not like the center's power supply would be "compromised" by pairing it with a sub.
    Good idea or not?
    The other option is to find a good 3 channel and sell my existing B&K 4420. But I'm VERY happy with the 4420 for main L/R.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org
    [Edited last by Steve_D on August 13, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

quote: OOPS title should be sharing a center amp with a sub![/quote]
    Header changed. [​IMG]
    quote: I was thinking (cost wise) if i bought another used B&K Ref 4420, I could use one channel for my center and one for the sub, and then sell the MA700...[/quote]
    I would definitely keep that MA700 - a very popular and well regarded amp, now discontinued - and use it for the center channel. Isolating the center channel with a monoblock can really improve the front soundstage as it is never challenged by what is happening with the mains (conversely as well).
    quote: Since the Ref 4420 is a dual mono design, it's not like the center's power supply would be "compromised" by pairing it with a sub.[/quote]
    I would think that for each amp section to be truly isolated from the other it would have to be a true mono design. Others will be able to speak to this more accurately, but I would suggest that with a sub of the calibre of the SVS you would be better off with a dedicated amp. For and extra $100 (ie. total $399) you could keep the Marantz and buy a Samson S700 amp just for the sub from SVS . I would think this would yield the overall best performance.
    This would be the route I would take.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
    [Edited last by Jay Mitchosky on August 14, 2001 at 08:36 AM]

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Thanks Jay for the title change [​IMG]
    I want to use the same type amp across the front 3. This precludes using the MA700 for the front, since Main L/R are B&K. I did think about using the MA, but quickly decided not to after testing Marantz mono blocs for my Main L/R.....
    The dual mono design shares one path across channels, the power cord and switch. There is 2 of everything besides that including torroidal power supplies, put into one chasis.
    I thought about a pro style amp, like the Samson or a Crest Audio, but have 2 concerns:
    1) Fan noise
    2) They don't store energy in big caps like high current "audiophile" designs. For instance, the Crest 4a draws 6 amps at 1/3 power, and up to 15 amps at full rated output. While this may be fine in a professional setting with multiple 20 or 30 amp circuits, I have one 15 amp circuit dedicated to the HT. If I have one component drawing over half the amps....what do the rest have to work with? By contrast, the dual mono B&K can deliver 75 amps of current...but max draw is only 6.8 amps. Yes, I need to have an electrician out to run some more dedicated circuits...but that is a winter project when I have time and desire to re-paint the walls.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org