Another Adventure (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I won't tell if you won't.
After one of my colon cancer surgeries when I was getting to the point of to a take the hydrocodone (I think) or ibuprofen, I took the ibuprofen. Later I wished I had taken the H. By chance, I saw my surgeon the next day and he said I could have taken the H anyway. Than I commented that I wished I could have had a glass of wine with it all and he said, why not?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The three knee injections I had past few weeks haven't helped at all. Surgeon told me some times they work, sometimes they don't. I'm a big "don't". I oddly don't have any pain, but wow, I can barely walk. Just hobble around the house, friends take me out for grocery shopping, etc.

Supposed to see the surgeon in March, but I think it's going to be sooner. Things just aren't working and time to go under the knife, just get a new knee and get it over with. I'll work it out with friends and family. Heard they often send you home the same day, or it could be a few days in hospital. I really don't care, I've got to get this fixed.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The three knee injections I had past few weeks haven't helped at all. Surgeon told me some times they work, sometimes they don't. I'm a big "don't". I oddly don't have any pain, but wow, I can barely walk. Just hobble around the house, friends take me out for grocery shopping, etc.

Supposed to see the surgeon in March, but I think it's going to be sooner. Things just aren't working and time to go under the knife, just get a new knee and get it over with. I'll work it out with friends and family. Heard they often send you home the same day, or it could be a few days in hospital. I really don't care, I've got to get this fixed.
While you are the best judge, I have to agree with you. When something is necessary, don't procrastinate.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
While you are the best judge, I have to agree with you. When something is necessary, don't procrastinate.
Yes. It has to happen. I'll call the surgeon next week and start the process. Been dealing with this for 30 years, three operations and all they do is remove stuff, they don't fix anything. Last operation the surgeon said the next one would be a knee replacement, and that's where I'm at.

Cartilage doesn't grow back. They take the torn pieces out to stop the swelling and the pain, but it never comes back.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I hope the surgeon can get it sorted all out for you, Stan. I have pain in my right knee when the weather changes but it's nothing like what you are going through.

As for my little adventure, I'm eleven days post-op and am back to my normal routine (I was actually back at work this past Monday and none the worse for wear) with only two restrictions: The first is a 15lb lifting limit for the next month and the second is that I can't squat back on my heels for 6-8 months. My second hernia repair is coming up in five weeks and I hope it goes as well as this one did.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
He has not. I go in for a post-op checkup in two weeks and I'm sure he'll give me a better understanding of my dos and don'ts at that time.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hope the surgeon can get it sorted all out for you, Stan. I have pain in my right knee when the weather changes but it's nothing like what you are going through.

As for my little adventure, I'm eleven days post-op and am back to my normal routine (I was actually back at work this past Monday and none the worse for wear) with only two restrictions: The first is a 15lb lifting limit for the next month and the second is that I can't squat back on my heels for 6-8 months. My second hernia repair is coming up in five weeks and I hope it goes as well as this one did.

Glad things are going well. Follow doctors orders. Tore my rotator cuff a few years ago. All fixed up, but they said no lifting anything for two months, or I'd rip out the eight little anchors they put in to re-attach my tendons.

I'm still kind of wimping out on my knee replacement, it really scares me. Surgeon referred me to a physical therapist. Guaranteed that won't help when the cartilage in your knee is gone, He showed me the x-rays and MRIs, there's nothing left, physical therapy will not help.

We've still got pretty good weather and oddly I can ride my bike just fine, walking, not a chance. My car needs a new starter, so it sits for a while, relying on friends for rides.

The injections didn't work, so TKR is coming. Just have to arrange for a temporary home for my dog, fill the litterbox up and leave a big bowl of water and food for the cat.

Kind of a bitch getting older. :eek:

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Haven’t updated in Johnny’s thread in a while.

I went in for my second (and hopefully final) hernia repair this morning. Since this one was behind my belly button, the doctor said I will most likely be more sore than I was with the last one and the doctor has decided to keep me off work for two weeks for recovery. The surgery itself went great and only lasted about a half hour. The doctor was able to do this one laparoscopically like the last one and I even got some great pictures he took from inside my abdomen pre and post repair. If the timeline on this recovery goes anything like the last one, Thursday will be the worst day and I’ll feel like a horse kicked me in the gut. Good thing I have a big bottle of pain killers.

I’ve rambled on long enough and am really tired and a bit loopy (it’s taken me 40 minutes to compose this post) so I’m going to get some sleep. Looking forward to two weeks of movies and Nintendo.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Haven’t updated in Johnny’s thread in a while.

I went in for my second (and hopefully final) hernia repair this morning. Since this one was behind my belly button, the doctor said I will most likely be more sore than I was with the last one and the doctor has decided to keep me off work for two weeks for recovery. The surgery itself went great and only lasted about a half hour. The doctor was able to do this one laparoscopically like the last one and I even got some great pictures he took from inside my abdomen pre and post repair. If the timeline on this recovery goes anything like the last one, Thursday will be the worst day and I’ll feel like a horse kicked me in the gut. Good thing I have a big bottle of pain killers.

I’ve rambled on long enough and am really tired and a bit loopy (it’s taken me 40 minutes to compose this post) so I’m going to get some sleep. Looking forward to two weeks of movies and Nintendo.
I can identify with the 40 minutes. If it makes you feel any better, it only took me a minute to read it. ;) However, what you wrote was clear and concise. It's great your procedures have gone so well.

Enjoy the good stuff.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
885A95FA-E566-4B0B-A587-EAAF7B230073.jpeg
I get to enjoy some bonding time with our newest puppy Chloe. She’s an 11 week old Cavachon.

*Edited to correct spelling errors.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Son of ass, my belly is sore. :D

The doctor was spot on about what my pain level would be per day (as he was with the last surgery but I don’t think I posted about it). It’s like he does this for a living or something. ;)

He told me the day of surgery (Tuesday), I would go home and sleep most of the day with a little moving about the house, but I would be sitting or laying most of the time.

Day one post-op (Wednesday), I would do more moving about, perhaps getting adventurous and going outside or riding along with my wife to get lunch.

Day two post-op (Thursday), I would pay for everything I did Wednesday. :laugh:

I’m so glad I’m taking an extra week off work for this recovery. I went back to work the week following my last surgery and the almost hour-long car ride each way hurt like hell. It was either my first or second day back at work and I got cut off in traffic and had to slam on my brakes, causing my seatbelt to tension up. I won’t lie, I squeezed out a few tears when that happened.

Anyway, I’m currently enjoying a cup of coffee, a couple of pain pills, a puppy on my lap, and the sweet moves of the dancing banana. :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks