What's new

Another Adventure (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My comment on hospital food "it's really not that bad". I think it's just a running joke, but it's usually pretty decent.
I don't know if it's the same food that's served to patients but during college, I interned in a lab at a hospital and I loved the food they made in the cafeteria. I still think about going back there to buy their tatter tots.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Try telling your PCP that you prefer the Conway hospital. Surely he can recommend a surgeon that uses the hospital.

BTW, I've not had the opportunity to dine at both St Vincent and Baptist, both in Little Rock. St. Vincent's food gives hospital food a bad name. It is very, very, bad. Baptist, however, has "room service." You order your meal via phone from a menu. It's still hospital food, but most of it is at least decent and some is good. The hamburger was bad. I can only presume that the St. Vincent in Morrilton will be the same.

Bon appetit. :P
Finally got in to see my PCP today and he set me up with a surgical consult next week in Conway. I did a treatment cost estimation today through my insurance company and Conway Regional is well over $1000 cheaper than St. Vincent Morrilton.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it's the same food that's served to patients but during college, I interned in a lab at a hospital and I loved the food they made in the cafeteria. I still think about going back there to buy their tatter tots.
Spent two weeks in hospital about ten years ago. First week was given horrible food, all "non roughage", Whitefish, mashed potatoes, etc. My room-mate was getting wonderful food, I was so jealous. Second week they finally gave me regular food. Loved it, especially the tatter tots. :P

Turned out I was massively diabetic, blood glucose was 750, not a good number. Three years and five insulin injections a day, it oddly went away, one day dropped to 32, I nearly died, but perfectly fine now. Last blood test my A1C was 4.1. The mysteries of the human body.

Another one of my WTMI posts, but this is a friendly forum, very tolerant. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Finally got in to see my PCP today and he set me up with a surgical consult next week in Conway. I did a treatment cost estimation today through my insurance company and Conway Regional is well over $1000 cheaper than St. Vincent Morrilton.
A "treatment cost estimation?" I've never heard of that. Did you just call up the insurance company and ask for it? BTW, is that $1000 your out-of-pocket?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's a tool on my insurer's website. You plug in the procedure, physician, and hospital and it will give you a breakdown of estimated total cost, how much insurance will pay and how much out of pocket you can expect to pay. It's pretty nifty. And yeah, the $1000 difference was from the out of pocket amount. Close to $4000 total out of pocket to repair both hernias at once in Conway vs over $5000 to do it at Morrilton. Those out of pocket totals don't take into account my deductible which will be met by the operating room fee so they may be less.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's a tool on my insurer's website. You plug in the procedure, physician, and hospital and it will give you a breakdown of estimated total cost, how much insurance will pay and how much out of pocket you can expect to pay. It's pretty nifty. And yeah, the $1000 difference was from the out of pocket amount. Close to $4000 total out of pocket to repair both hernias at once in Conway vs over $5000 to do it at Morrilton. Those out of pocket totals don't take into account my deductible which will be met by the operating room fee so they may be less.
Thankfully you have insurance. I also am covered.

I get my bills and it is shocking what they charge non-insured people. With my knee and broken foot issues, I only owe about $200. The bill shows the "retail" charge and it's $4000-$5000 if you're not insured

See my doctor about a probable knee replacement Wednesday. Can't even imagine how much that would cost without insurance.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thankfully you have insurance. I also am covered.

I get my bills and it is shocking what they charge non-insured people. With my knee and broken foot issues, I only owe about $200. The bill shows the "retail" charge and it's $4000-$5000 if you're not insured

See my doctor about a probable knee replacement Wednesday. Can't even imagine how much that would cost without insurance.
Yes, reading the bills and seeing what the hospital charged, what the insurer allows, and what the insurer pays is quite an eye-opener.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I saw the surgeon this morning and got a plan of action. I'm having the inguinal hernia fixed the morning after Labor Day. The surgeon is pretty confident that he can do the surgery laparoscopicly that Tuesday and I'll be back at work on light duty the following Monday. Six weeks after that, he wants to do the umbilical hernia.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw the surgeon this morning and got a plan of action. I'm having the inguinal hernia fixed the morning after Labor Day. The surgeon is pretty confident that he can do the surgery laparoscopicly that Tuesday and I'll be back at work on light duty the following Monday. Six weeks after that, he wants to do the umbilical hernia.
Sounds like the plan. How many days in the hospital for each surgery? It's great that the first one will be laparoscopic. What about the umbilical?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Both are planned as outpatient laparoscopic with each surgery running about 45 minutes then about two hours in recovery before discharge. There's always a chance the inguinal can turn out to be open incision once he starts on it but the preliminary exam makes him think he can achieve the desired result with minimal invasiveness.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Both are planned as outpatient laparoscopic with each surgery running about 45 minutes then about two hours in recovery before discharge. There's always a chance the inguinal can turn out to be open incision once he starts on it but the preliminary exam makes him think he can achieve the desired result with minimal invasiveness.
Holy crap! Outpatient, the holy grail of surgery. Good for you.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

So glad they can do it laparoscopic, so much better, less pain, quicker recovery. Three knee surgeries, two on my rotator cuff and appendix. 41 years old and I had to have my appendix out, thought that was a young person problem, apparently can hit you at any age. All done laparoscopic, a few tiny little scars for a year or so, but nothing now, all of them have disappeared.

My possible knee surgery will be much more invasive, but nearly as bad as things used to be. Neighbor had it done, huge vertical cut down her leg, but doctor told me things have changed a lot.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
My brother (64) just had his knee replaced at Woods (Milwaukee VA). Home in 3 days. Up and around (Walker, and then cane) in 2 weeks.
Then again, he was on his feet at least 8 hours a day BEFORE surgery, stubborn cuss Marine Vet that he is....

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So here's the latest update. My wound has been getting smaller and smaller. The wound vac started making a lot of noise. Remember that sound when you've finished your malt and you're sucking the the last tasty bit with a straw. The wound was making that noise, but loud.

Called the surgeons office to update them. They called the home health nurse to inquire of their evaluation of the wound. It was decided to discontinue the wound vac. On Tuesday my wife removed the wound vac and it's dressing and replaced it with a wet/dry dressing. The next day the home health nurse made her final visit and said the wound looked really good. I think it's butt ugly.

So now we change the dressing daily while the wound fills completely in and I don't have to carry that damn vac with me all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks