What's new

Another Adventure (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This thread is reminding me of the scene in Jaws. The one where they start comparing scars. :) Back issues, are not minor. It's hard to have a good life when the back is not cooperating. Follow their advice to behave, it's important. I've never heard of stitches like you got, I presume there was no anthesis and a portion of them were on the surface and they just pulled them out? Oh yeach!

During the colonoscopy where my cancer was discovered, they allowed me to wake when he was nearly done and was withdrawing. No pain or discomfort, though I was aware of a presence in there. I could also see the screen displaying my colon insides as he was withdrawing.

I've had my gal bladder removed and no biggie. You don't even spend a night in the hospital.

I hope things settle down for you. Higher mileage vehicles require for maintenance you know. ;)

I think I'm almost done. The incision has healed up nicely, no infection or other problems.

They also showed me a screen when they first found the bulging disc. It was kind of fascinating plus it really pointed out what was happening and why I had so much pain.

I've been amazed at the amount of painkillers they've prescribed. The surgeon put me on a mix of oxycodone and hydrocodone, then just settled down to hydrocodone. My own PCP, due to bad timing also prescribed a big batch of meds.

Even now, I've got two prescriptions I haven't filled that I really don't even need. You read about how so many people are getting addicted, overdosing, etc. so supposedly they're cracking down on prescribing, but I haven't seen any of it yet.

Glad to hear the gall bladder thing isn't much of a problem. I'm hoping I can avoid it, but really not much I can do.

Like you said, the older models, although I'm barely into that stage, do require a bit more maintenance.:eek:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I'm almost done. The incision has healed up nicely, no infection or other problems.

They also showed me a screen when they first found the bulging disc. It was kind of fascinating plus it really pointed out what was happening and why I had so much pain.

I've been amazed at the amount of painkillers they've prescribed. The surgeon put me on a mix of oxycodone and hydrocodone, then just settled down to hydrocodone. My own PCP, due to bad timing also prescribed a big batch of meds.

Even now, I've got two prescriptions I haven't filled that I really don't even need. You read about how so many people are getting addicted, overdosing, etc. so supposedly they're cracking down on prescribing, but I haven't seen any of it yet.

Glad to hear the gall bladder thing isn't much of a problem. I'm hoping I can avoid it, but really not much I can do.

Like you said, the older models, although I'm barely into that stage, do require a bit more maintenance.:eek:
I have noticed that it's really up to the patient to monitor what all the doctor's are prescribing. Even though every doctor asks for a list of meds, I sometimes think they don't pay attention.

The gall bladder is laparoscopic surgery, not much post-surgical pain. In and out on the same day. My stones were discovered via a blood test for another issue and then x-rays. The surgeon was surprised I wasn't feeling any pain. He said I could wait for the pain or do it now before the pain. I chose before.

After you're done with the back and gal bladder you might find that there's no other problems for a long time. I hope that happens to you.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Higher mileage vehicles require for maintenance you know. ;)

IMG_1679.JPG

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage."

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The gall bladder is laparoscopic surgery, not much post-surgical pain. In and out on the same day. My stones were discovered via a blood test for another issue and then x-rays. The surgeon was surprised I wasn't feeling any pain. He said I could wait for the pain or do it now before the pain. I chose before.

He didn't offer a before or after choice. I think they were just starting to show up, so maybe they'll go away on their own?

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but a guy I worked with about 30 years ago had stones of some sort, maybe they were kidney?. He had some sort of ultrasonic procedure where they were blasted into little bits, passed normally, no surgery. I do recall he had gotten to the point of unbearable pain before they figured out what the issue was. They blamed it on to much calcium in his diet. Who knows if that was true, medicine has advanced a lot in 30 years.

I've had plenty of laparoscopic stuff, appendix, two on my knee, two major shoulder operations, all pretty easy, fairly quick recovery except for the appendix.

I'll definitely choose before pain if I get a chance, but next check-up and MRI isn't until May.

I feel kind of like I have a ticking time-bomb in me, but surgeon said not to worry about it yet, he'd keep monitoring things.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
One of my dogs had bladder stones four or five years ago. She didn't appear to have any pain but presented with frequent, bloody urine.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
One of my dogs had bladder stones four or five years ago. She didn't appear to have any pain but presented with frequent, bloody urine.

Yikes. If that ever happens, to me or one of the dogs, straight to the doctor, something obviously not working properly.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
He didn't offer a before or after choice. I think they were just starting to show up, so maybe they'll go away on their own?

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but a guy I worked with about 30 years ago had stones of some sort, maybe they were kidney?. He had some sort of ultrasonic procedure where they were blasted into little bits, passed normally, no surgery. I do recall he had gotten to the point of unbearable pain before they figured out what the issue was. They blamed it on to much calcium in his diet. Who knows if that was true, medicine has advanced a lot in 30 years.

I've had plenty of laparoscopic stuff, appendix, two on my knee, two major shoulder operations, all pretty easy, fairly quick recovery except for the appendix.

I'll definitely choose before pain if I get a chance, but next check-up and MRI isn't until May.

I feel kind of like I have a ticking time-bomb in me, but surgeon said not to worry about it yet, he'd keep monitoring things.
Kidney stones are the ones where they are blasted into little bits and then passed, I know because I had kidney stones and had the procedure.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We'll be leaving the house by 7:00 am to check into St. Vincents. Surgery currently scheduled for 10 am. After all this waiting I'm amazed the day has arrived.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The surgery went well this past Monday. Recuperation was easier until Thursday when I was very nauseous all day. That was bad. I had been hoping to be discharged that day, but had not had an "The Eagle has landed" moment, so I stayed in another day and I accomplished my landing. Checked out on Friday.

So I'm at home, very tired, having some wound site issues but I've got drugs for that, which are starting to kick in. I'd better proofread this post. :unsure:

I am home and there no bag!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The surgery went well this past Monday. Recuperation was easier until Thursday when I was very nauseous all day. That was bad. I had been hoping to be discharged that day, but had not had an "The Eagle has landed" moment, so I stayed in another day and I accomplished my landing. Checked out on Friday.

So I'm at home, very tired, having some wound site issues but I've got drugs for that, which are starting to kick in. I'd better proofread this post. :unsure:

I am home and there no bag!

Good news like that is a great Christmas present for us all.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Things have continued to progress. Energy picking up bit-by-bit. Best of all my colon has started to earn its pay again. It's graduated from unpaid intern mode to trainee...no a bit better than that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, if any of you have lost your pleasure in taking a good @#&!, I can help you regain your appreciation. :lol:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Things have continued to progress. Energy picking up bit-by-bit. Best of all my colon has started to earn its pay again. It's graduated from unpaid intern mode to trainee...no a bit better than that.
About a month to a month and a half ago, my colon returned to full time duty. Nuff said about that.

When my oncologist examined my pathology report he pronounced me in the 90% surgically cured status. There will be no radiology of chemo for me. I've also just had a full body cat scan and it found no sign of cancer.

However, since colonoscopies have often revealed polyps, my days of the procedure once every 10 years or even 5, are probably over. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with them yearly.

I consider myself fully recovered except for one thing: my diaphragm. The damn thing is and will always be elevated and paralyzed. I'm walking a lot but can hardly run at all and when I do, it's very slow. I've not been able to run even a 100 yards. I'll keep working at it.

That's the latest. Thanks for all to good wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks