What's new

Another 717 question--Dolby, THX, Neo 6? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I did the 2EQ speaker calibration tonight and it all sounds great.

I have a question, though, about all the different audio formats the TX-NR717 can do. With my old receiver, if a DVD allowed the choice of Dolby or DTS, the receiver would automatically change according to what I selected. It seems like in all the test discs I've run so far, the 717 is always on Dolby. Will it change automatically or do I need to set something.

Also, what does the THX mode do for me? How do people use that?

Thanks again!

So far, I'm loving this receiver!

Bruce

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would think it should play whatever the BR player sends to it but the receiver might be setup to play a specific surround mode for that particular input. I think most newer receivers allow you to select a sperate surround mode for each input if you prefer (stereo for the cd input, dts for the bluray input, etc) but my most current receiver at the moment is a 3 year old marantz. New receivers have a dizzying amount of choices and selections.

I think the THX modes are similar to Dolby ProLogicII and DTS Neo:6. It seems like most people ignore it but I guess it"s a personnal choice thing. I use DTS Neo:6 when I want to change a stereo program to 5.1.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In your Setup Menu...

You can change the sound mode "presets"...

a. Can be done input specific
b. Can be done sound mode specific.

If you set your DVD/BD input for DTS, instead of the default DD, it will look for DTS first...then play DD if DTS is not found.

Also, depending on what DVD/BD player you have, you can set it for DTS first, DD second...accomplishes the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks