Another 16:9 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee M T, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hey guys, newbie around here. I'm going strong with two posts!

I recently got a TV, Sony KV-27FS100, but I can't open it until Xmas. haha. It has the 16:9 Enhanced Mode and I need one thing answered before it is too late to return it.

How exactly does it figure out if it needs to switch to the Enhanced mode? Auto-detect or is there an option that I get to choose? I rarely watch DVD's, but I do play a lot of video games. Most video games, as you know, are in 4:3. So if I plop the game in my PS2 hooked up with comp video cables, for instance, I don't want the TV to assume it's a DVD with widescreen.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Not sure if your model is auto, if not it will be located in the setup menu for you to manually activate. I have the 36XBR400 and which has the auto mode.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Lee, also remember to keep the brightness and contrast levels to a minimum if your going to use the tv for games. Fixed images like in video games are certain death for a RPTV if caution is not used. Over time, burn-in could become a factor.

4. Reginald Trent

His TV is not a RPTV but a 27" direct view.

5. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you have to worry. For the autodetection to work the DVD player sends out a certain flag to the TV (it's encoded on the DVD) - as long as there's no flag on the game it shouldn't switch to widescreen mode.

6. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Sweet guys, thanks a million! I've been searching through the forum and also looking elsewhere and I was getting the vibe that I wouldn't have a problem, but nothing definitive as a "yes" or "no."

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Video games can be dangerous for a direct-view set as well. Keep that contrast low.

8. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

Set your contrast at about 50% and you will be fine. Some TVs by default put contrast at 100%.

9. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Alright, thanks. I'll make sure it is set reasonably.

10. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

Lee
    I have the 36 inch version Sony (not XBR) and the tv does not switch into the enhanced mode by itself. The XBR is the only Sony Direct View that does the auto switch. Set your DVD player to 4:3 and 16:9. If the movie is enhanced for widescreen, then enter into the TV menu and select enhanced. The screen will essentially squeeze itself and your movies will look a lot more clean. I love it.

11. carlos torres

I almost forgot. When you turn the TV off or video switch the enhanced feature turns itself off.

12. Reginald Trent

The DVD player should be set to 16:9. Setting the player to 16:9 will not effect 4:3 and other non-anamorphic DVDs.

BTW you cannot set a DVD player for both 4:3 and 16:9 at the same time.

13. carlos torres

Reginald
    Yes you can but essentially we get to the same place...
    My Sony Jukebox has within the Screen Setup a TV Type called "16:9/4:3 Wide Mode". It also has 4:3 letter box and 4:3 pan Scan, however, within 16:9/4:3 Wide Mode it outputs the enhanced signal to the TV. I still have to switch the TV to enhanced because the TV does not recognize the enhanced signal.

14. Reginald Trent

Carlos,

DVD players have three settings 16:9 widescreen 4:3 letterbox and 4:3 pan & scan. Your Sony is essentially outputing 16:9 signal for a widescreen display. They simply gave it a non standard name.

However, Lee might not have a Sony with the non standard named 16:9 setting. If that is the case, he should set his player to 16:9 as I mentioned earlier.