What's new

Anone got a review on "My Name is Earl" yet? Music Intact? (1 Viewer)

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Not to nitpick here, bit in the pilot when the family is driving up to the convenience store and won't go in until Earl leaves, isn't the tune playing on the car radio a Wiggles song? It wasn't on the dvd.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much. I think that Warner Bros will let it sit in the vault for a while, letting Cold Case build up a large fan base, so that it will actually be worthwhile and profitable to release it to DVD. Supernatural is pretty popular and doesn't have as much music in it as Cold Case, so it makes sense that they'd release that over Cold Case. And yes, as you said, supernaturally themed shows do sell better than crime shows. I think that that's why Law and Order takes so long to be released each year.
-James

Terry H

Second Unit
Well, they had to know the show was going to dvd and they still didn't secure all the music rights. Pitiful. They just don't give a damn.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why is it pitiful? I said this before...I would HATE to think that a studio would chose music solely based on what they know they can use on the DVD release. Talk about artistic stifling!!! DVD is not the main concern here - Keeping the show running is!

I'd rather see the studio produce a great epsiode without worries about the DVD release. Again, as I said before, once you start stifling the artistic intent of a show, the show will become weaker. If the show becomes weaker, there won't BE any TV show to be released on DVD. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Although it sounds like it is saying that there are music replacements, it seem a bit cryptic to be 100%...It almost sounds like it's saying that they chose music that they knew they'd be able to license for DVD, but again, the blog entry doesn't exactly say one way or the other.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ugh....

Normally, I don't get that uptight about certain instances of music replacement. But if the "Halloween" theme is gone, that's a tough one to swallow. I have not opened my set yet, so I guess decisions have to be made.

I think I may be starting to disagree with this. Obviously, the concept of licensing music for broadcast and home video isn't as simple as it sounds. We're coming into an age where television is becoming much like film. It will air on tv and be re-run from time to time (possibly syndication, but shows will be edited) and then spend the rest of it's life on DVD. So, maybe the creators of these show should be keeping DVD in mind and be more pragmatic in music selection to avoid problems. Nobody has to know that they really wanted this song, but used this one because it could be cleared for DVD release. Maybe creators should stop relying so much on music for the shows in the first place.

Not that I would want to stifle artistic creativity, but lets face it, creators of the shows are limited in what they can do in other areas (FCC, Standards and Practices) Music isn't exactly the same thing, but I'm sure we would all be happier if our favorite shows did not have to suffer on DVD.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I've dreaded the time when I would finally be effected by music replacement. I've managed to avoid it until now. Now that the time has finally arrived my first thought is "that sucks". Followed by "this show is still pretty damn funny". I don't regret my purchase at all. I watch for the comedy, not the music.

So, I guess it's just the Mark's who don't really mind? :confused:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I might have to change my name to Mark too...it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Sure, it would have been nice to have all the original music and yeah, they really should have licensed it all in the original negotiations, but it has no effect on the show at all to me. It's still as entertaining as ever and I would have never known if it weren't for the blog mention.

It's a great set; a few replaced songs doesn't detract from 22 fantastic episodes (not a big fan of the election or Christmas ones) and a bunch of great bonus features.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and while it does bug me that the songs are changed, the show is brand new and I've only seen the episodes once - so it's not like changes to Star Wars where the original has been burned into my memory for the past 30 years (to the point where any change seems awkward).

The songs may be changed, but I'll learn to love the show the way it now is on DVD "as is". In fact, with the Simpsons, I LOVE this show and have basically watched at least 2-4 episodes every night for the past 15+ years and there was a song change in the DVD set that I didn't even notice, so if that could get by me without too much anger, I guess I can let these music changes slide...especially since it sounded like they tried their best to get all of the releases for the DVD.

And besides, as per my DVD watching, I like TV on DVD for future 'background' use. I watch the whole set on my HT setup, but subsequent views are usually on the kitchen DVD player while I'm preparing and eating dinner, so the changes ain't gonna kill me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Mark, what was the change in the Simpsons? I know those episoded backwards and forwards as well and never noticed a music change.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It was the episode where Bart worked for the Mob (Fat Tony). There was a music montage where it showed him working at their hideout. Apparently they couldn't get the rights to the song that was originally used (I forget the name of the song or the song that replaced it).

Terry H

Second Unit
Yeah, and that's only half the season. I have no doubt it's actually worse than it appears. I looked over the package in a store today and nowhere on it was the music replacement mentioned. That's just plain dishonest.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just read about this issue in the thread over at DVD Talk and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't buy the set. Normally music replacement wouldn't bother me that much, but the music in Earl is absolutely crucial to the show IMHO. The fact that so much good music got cut from this DVD is absolutely appalling and there's no way I will reward the studios with my money for this inferior DVD set. I still love the show, but this is inexcusable. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks