What's new

Anone got a review on "My Name is Earl" yet? Music Intact? (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
(as he clutches all his off air recordings, not gonna screw up like he did on House Season 1)

Clay_E

Second Unit
House Season 1 was edited? Didn't know that...I just watched the whole season for the first time on DVD. :frowning: How severe was it?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! I pre-ordered from Amazon before checking in on this!

Oh well, I guess the only saving grace would be the fact that I haven't watched the repeats enough to know where all of the music replacements were. Unlike the Simpsons that I've seen SO many times that I know it like the back of my hand, at least if they replace a song in this set, I can get used to it quicker and just accept it as the original song :D

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
According to the review at DVDTalk, the music is intact on this release.

If you're looking for reviews, check DVD-Basen first. If there's a review from a major site, it will usually show up there pretty quickly.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just got my review set today, so I assume others didn't get theirs much earlier (if at all). Reviews should pop up soon...

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully it's unedited. There's great music in the show, and it helps the plot, so they shouldn't replace it.
-James

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It would surprise me if any show that is currently in production would have replacement music since TV on DVD is such a big business. Are there examples of shows produced for the 2005- 2006 TV season that are now on DVD where there is replacement music ?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But that's a double edged sword - If you think about that, it actually would make sense that there would be MORE music replacement. The CD industry isn't doing well, so where are the music studios going to make the money? By charging TV studios for using their songs. They know that DVD is "big business", so why not charge an arm and a leg??

They most definitely want a piece of the TV DVD business.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since studios know that their TV shows will most likely be released on DVD, I would think that shows that are produced now would include the rights to use music on the eventual DVD release. It is older shows that have the music problems because the idea of releasing a whole season of a TV show on home video was not thought possible at the time the TV shows were produced.

Mary_P

Second Unit

I believe the producers have said they could swing the cost for broadcast rights, but the cost to license for both broadcast and DVD release was prohibitive.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Scrubs had music replacement for the first season, I didn't care.

From then on though, all music cleared.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The original theme song has again been replaced with the overseas theme music on "Las Vegas Season 3". That's the only one I can think of right now.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Could this be holding up subsequent seasons of shows, Without A Trace for example? It uses quite a bit of music, especially in the closing sequences.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Possibly could be part of the reason, but the main reason is from low DVD sales. More sales could make Warner Bros want to clear the music and release the DVDs.
-James

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
are shows a case by case basis, like the ones they figure would fare better on DVD get negotiated early while ones that might not do so well are kinda left in limbo. I mean, any Supernatural fan knows the emphasis and importance that classic rock music has on the show, and yet every single song that aired on WB last season also transferred over to the DVD. Yet... the same company who owns Supernatural also owns Cold Case and doesn't wanna bother with getting that one cleared for DVD. Is it because Supernatural appeals more to the sci-fi/horror type crowd that is a bit more devoted whereas Cold Case is a cop-style show, and with the exception of CSI, they don't seem to be quite as big on DVD (just look at how long it took before Fox returned to NYPD Blue, and also Warner's abandonment of Without A Trace). So is it a case by case basis because it was more obvious that Supernatural would have an audience on DVD that would buy the DVD's and make it worth the while to put the music on the sets, whereas Cold Case could likely be a poor seller and the same company would take a financial hit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks