Annoying sound from Subwoofer !!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James_H, Apr 15, 2004.

1. James_H

James_H Auditioning

I need help get rig of this " THUD " sound making from Subwoofer everytime I turn on receiver.

I have Kenwood receiver with AC Outlet so I plug subwoofer directly to the outlet on the back of receiver. I alway leave subwoofer on so whenever I turn on the receiver then subwoofer would turn on also. This THUD sound always happend even I set the subwoofer sound level to the lowest, only one possibility to get rid of this thud sound (for me) is to turn subwoofer on manually.

This subwoofer is a cheapo one so there is no Auto on/off switch with it (the another one I have doesn't have this problem becuz I use AUTO on/off. So anyone know how to get rid of this annoying sound???? Thanks in advance.

One more question, Is it safe to leave Subwoofer on at all time. I' m thinking about plug subwoofer to household outlet instead of AC outlet from receiver. My concerned is about life of subwoofer and cost of electric bill.

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Plug it into the wall. You are getting uncontrolled power-on thump when power goes to the amplifier. It isn't a signal that is being sent to your amplifier. The sub will last long enough with the power always on.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    NEVER plug a sub or another amp into your receiver's outlet.

The thud I believe sub's amp picking up voltage (possibly the caps?) when it powers up. Just plug it into the wall and turn it on/off manually or leave it on all the time.

4. James_H

James_H Auditioning

Thanks I think I will do what you both sugested.[​IMG]