What's new

Annoying Pulp Fiction SE problems (grey bars, loud menu music) (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Overall, this is a good SE, but there are 2 really annoying things that could've (and should've) easily been corrected:

1. Why are the black bars generated by the player to frame this 2.35:1 film within the 16:9 anamorphic image a shade of grey rather than black? On a 4:3 televison, it becomes obvious that there are 2 different sets of black bars since the other set of bars generated by the player actually are true black. It's especially noticable during the opening titles and during scene fade outs and fade ins. I've seen hundreds of anamorphic discs and I haven't noticed any of them exibiting this problem.

2. Why is the menu music on disc 2 playing at such a ridiculously higher volume than the extra features? I mean, it's not even close!

Doesn't anyone at Miramax even notice these obvious things before they go and press millions of discs?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

This is a problem that seems to be getting more frequent. My Lord of the Rings 2-disc set is like this as well, so it's not exclusive to Miramax titles. I also noticed it on my Pulp Fiction SE, and 1 or two other titles.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Try and get your hands on the Korean Region 0 version. It has a better transfer and doesn't have the problem with grey bars.

Jeff

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I haven't even opened my copy yet. But upon reading your description my first thought was that you're overdriving your display. Perhaps your white and black levels are set too high?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The odd part is that you seem to be criticizing the disc for bars your player is generating ("the black bars generated by the player to frame this 2.35:1 film within the 16:9 anamorphic image a shade of grey rather than black"). Are the inside bars lighter in color- or is it the outside bars? The bars closest to the picture are in the video stream, the outer ones are generated by the player.

I have seen this problem on some people's display before- and it is usually due to excessive brightness setting.

-Vince

Craig_T

Second Unit
The odd part is that you seem to be criticizing the disc for bars your player is generating ("the black bars generated by the player to frame this 2.35:1 film within the 16:9 anamorphic image a shade of grey rather than black"). Are the inside bars lighter in color- or is it the outside bars? The bars closest to the picture are in the video stream, the outer ones are generated by the player.
Yea, I meant to say "the black bars encoded on the disc," which are the inside ones next to the picture. The outer ones generated by the player are black.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
When i started reading this I remembered pointing out those grey bars to my roomate, I said the letterbox was letterboxed, I haven't noticed this on any other of my DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks