Annoying new way to advertise a movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gary->dee, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I thought flash animated movie ads were annoying, like the kind you find at AICN and various other movie sites. But they're nothing compared to this new thing that works with Java. Perhaps you've seen them if you visited one of the larger movie sites. It's a normal banner with graphics promoting the movie and within the banner a small box that plays scenes from the movie. Problem is that, for me at least, these things take ages to load and play! ARGH! Sitting there waiting for this ad to begin playing can be very annoying while waiting for the page to load.

And then when it finishes loading it plays some scenes or something from the movie. Why don't they just play the entire friggin' movie in that banner while they're at it?

I have a feeling it's only going to get worse: this thing will catch on and we'll see more of it.

Anyone else notice this new trend in movie advertising?

2. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I think I saw such an ad from the Internet Movie Database web site. Fortunately, I know how to disable these ads.

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I hate those ads that POP UP right in the middle of the page and then plays it's flash animation! [​IMG]

4. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Yeah me too. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes both have those annoying new Java script ads.

6. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

In the new Google toolbar there is a pop blocker that works really well.

7. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

If you are on a mac, download apple's web browser, Safari. It has a built in pop up blocker. I haven't seen a pop up since I started using it in february.

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I think a lot of site designers forget that not everyone has a T1 line at home. How about those corporate sites that play a large Flash presentation on entry- some don't even provide an option to skip it.

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Right there with you... I was wondering why a certain site was taking forever to load, and imagine my surprise when a trailer started to play right there in a little banner.

YEAH, I SURE AS HELL CAN FEEL THE EXCITEMENT OF THE MOVIE IN THAT 80x50 WINDOW, YOU GENIUSES!!!!

Worst marketing ploy ever: You fail to give viewers a proper taste of the film, AND you annoy them to bits in the process [​IMG]

10. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Since I have yet to see Java ads on RottenTomatoes.com or at IMDb.com in weeks, I am unable to provide everyone on how to block them. It is somewhat a complicating process.

Are there other web sites that use Java ads?

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

12. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

The worst is when you open up a page with one on dialup, minimize/forget about it, and then suddenly out of nowhere 5 minutes later the trailer is blasting sound through your speakers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter