Annoying "media ads" and screen stealers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChrisMatson, Oct 16, 2003.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Is there a way to prevent these relatively new ads from the likes of AOL seen on www.usatoday.com and other sites? The ads creep up over the page and then hide back into a banner. I have the google pop-up blocker (highly recommended!) but these ads are unaffected.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

http://www.proxomitron.info

Proxomitron is a really superb all-purpose web filter. It blocks cookies (if you want to), ads (if you want to) and can rewrite pages the way you want them if you want to tinker. Theoretically you could replace whatever you wanted between the web page and your browser.

It is not super simple to get running with but it's not rocket science either. Just read the docs and you should be up and running fairly quickly.

I love this program, I wouldn't want to surf if I had to view all the ads out there. I mean, banners are bad enough but all those damned pop-up, pop-under, pop-over... yick.

Another nifty feature is that you can create shortcuts for favourite sites. I like to type in web addresses from memory to some sites (fast typist and remember the addresses; hunting bookmarks is often slower for me). Anyway, instead of having to type www.hometheaterforum.com I can just type .htf and have Proxomitron translate that short name into the proper address. Very cool.

I checked the USAToday site and see no ads whatsoever when using Proxomitron.

3. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I recently went to the USA Today web site and did not experienced any of the ads you mentioned. Perhaps this is because I am using Mozilla Firebird.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Kimmo, thanks for the info--I will look into that program, but I may be looking for a simpler solution. As for Mozilla, I like MS Explorer and the integrated functionality it offers. Does Mozilla replace Explorer, sit on top of it, or what? I don't much about it at all.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Mozilla is a whole new browser, so its not as integrated into windows as IE.

I was a long-time IE user, and never expected to change over but after using Mozilla Firebird for a week or so, I have converted. Great functionality, great speed, just overall great.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Don't forget Mozilla Firebird 0.7 is out now. [​IMG]

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nice, thanks for the heads up todd! [​IMG]

8. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I'm not sure, but I don't think that using firebird makes a difference in this case, since it seems like it would be an annoying javascript ad. You could right click on the ad and block the server where the image comes from, however.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Oh I'd certainly recommend a browser switch as well. I'd say http://www.opera.com still has the edge on speed an power user features, but Firebird is very good too these days.

Of course, Mozilla 1.5 is out too at http://www.mozilla.org and that is the same rendering engine as Firebird, just a lot more bells and whistles (which can be positive or negative depending on your needs).

Proxomitron isn't hard to get used to. The big advantage is that it is a web proxy, ie you set up your web browser to use a http proxy at the address localhost, port 8080 (selectable so you can change that if you want). Then you can upgrade or switch browsers or use several different variants and have ad filtering, cookie filtering etc work perfectly in all of them.

Seriously. Download it and try it. There is nothing (IMHO) out there to touch it when it comes to powerful features.