What's new

Annoying keyboard shortcuts (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Fairly new Toshiba laptop, bought in January with Windows 10 installed.

I can barely even touch a key and my font expands/shrinks. Often just using the touch-pad also screws with the font size. It's an easy fix, just Control and + or -, but I'm not doing anything to cause the problem. And not a jump from a ten to 12, sometimes a ten to about a 900, just guessing. A single letter will fill the entire screen until I do the Control - thing.

The worst is when my screen will suddenly switch to portrait. So I've got to turn it on its side, plug in a mouse and search around for about 15 minutes to figure out how to fix it, Which I've now memorized, so probably not so bad next time. Never even knew you could do that, and who would want to, incredibly annoying.

I think most of the problem is the Toshiba design has everything shifted slightly to the left, (model is Satellite C55-B5240X) not centered like most laptops. I'm learning more and more to only let my fingertips touch anything, no resting my wrists on the laptop, which I've been doing for probably 20 years, so hard habit to unlearn.

Is there a way to reset the keyboard so it's not so sensitive. Am I brushing against certain keys? I obviously must be doing something, but what is it?

I'd swear, some times I can just look at the keyboard or breathe on it and things will change. Or maybe hit a key once and the font expands 15 times, so have to hit Control - 15 times to fix it.

It seems like a symptoms of a sticky keyboard, but it's fine. Bought brand new from Amazon, but could they have possibly sold me a refurbished machine that someone spilled a coke into?

Nothing seems to stick, I'm beginning to think it's a Windows 10 issue. Any info would be appreciated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this a hardware problem, where the Windows randomly gets font increase commands? Or is this user error, where you are resting your hands on Ctrl-+ and not paying attention to it?

It sounds like bad hardware, so return it or get it fixed under warranty.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is this a hardware problem, where the Windows randomly gets font increase commands? Or is this user error, where you are resting your hands on Ctrl-+ and not paying attention to it?

It sounds like bad hardware, so return it or get it fixed under warranty.

Just going through old topics.

Think this is a combination of user/hardware issues. The touch-pad isn't quite in the right position. 25+ years of laptops and you adjust to where the touch-pad should be, but this one is slightly shifted to the left, so my "user" palms rest on it in the wrong position and things flip out.

You'd think I would have adjusted by now, but "muscle memory" seems to be over-riding things and my hands expect the pad to be in a different position.

Not touching any keys, but I may end up disabling the touch-pad and going back to an old fashioned mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks