Annoying Hum From My Sub :(

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by tommy_E, May 7, 2005.

1. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Whats up everyone..
    I am currently getting a loud hum from my subwoofer...I tried unplugging it, waiting 5 minutes then plugging it back in, doesnt work. One of my friends was telling me i have to get a Soldering iron and re solder something on the back of the sub's-amp.

thanks for any feedback

2. Ben Ch

Ben Ch Agent

Does your sub have a grounded plug?
    If so, then there is a chance you have a ground loop caused by different potentials on the subs input ground vs. the sub's power cord ground.
    You can rule this out by trying a "cheater extension cord" that has it's ground plug conductor disconnected.

3. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

A grounded plug? sorry little confused..is it a extension plug with 3-prongs? if so I tried that..didnt work. I also tried plugging it into different outlets.

thanks

BTW- The hum only happens when i hook up the sub-out from my receiver to the sub..not when nothings hooked up.

4. Ben Ch

Ben Ch Agent

It could still be a ground loop (not saying it is for sure).
    You may also have other components that are allowing their grounds to be at different potentials... try running the reciever/pre-pro powered up, along with the sub amp powered up and connected the way you normally would but disconnect the AC on all other devices such as DVD player, CD player, sat. receiver, video display device... Anything that is connected to anything else with more than one conductor. This will rule out a ground loop problem, then you can start checking you're interconnects, which can sometimes fault and cause noise.
    I'd then go looking at individual components and seeing if something is starting to fail there.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    could be the cable.. what cable are you using between the reciever and the sub? in some instances, you will not be able to use a basic RCA analog audio or video cable, it has to be a subwoofer cable, which is slightly different (something about the ground not being terminated on one end)

6. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

I "was" using a subwoofer cable, but my stupid brother was doing something in my room and stepped on it by accident because he tried getting something behind my sub.The end of the cable bent and the gold cap came off...what are my chanceS?[​IMG]

So i mainly think that i damaged something behind the audio input jack.

Thanks

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar problem with my set up a few months back. One day out of the blue, my speakers just started humming, and then my system stopped working. Turns out that there was a soldering problem in my reciever.

8. Niti

Niti Extra

Is the subwoofer plug a three or two prong plug? If it is a three prong, go to your local Radio Shack or the likes and buy a three prong to two prong converter. I agree that it may still be a ground loop issue if the plug is a three prong one. I had a similar issue and converting it to a two prong worked. If it is a two prong, then it could be anything (I would check the cable and then work on the receiver and then the subwoofer).

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I used to have the same problem, and it turned out to be from the house current. After I started using a Panamax power conditioner, the hum went away.

Doug

10. John S

John S Producer

Have you tried a different cable????

Sounds like you may need to fix the input jacks, if it started after somebody stepped on the cable and you have eliminated the cable as the problem.