What's new

Annoying Horizontal Lines with Squeeze Technique (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
While I plan my entry into the big screen world of front projection, I'm still making due with my lowly 27-inch Panasonic.
The old girl has given me many good years and I'm giving her new life of a sort by delving into the service menu to perform the squeeze technique. It definitely lends better clarity to anamorphic movies, no doubt about it.
But it also reveals these horizontal lines (for some reason mostly near the edges of the screen) that I find distracting. It is almost like I am projecting the image onto a lined surface. What is this? Are they scanlines? Is this typical? Anything I can do about it?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Probably the appearance of moire ...

you are doing something for which it was not specifically designed ...

Defocus of crt might help to get rid of lines.

Regards

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
James, I also periodically perform the squeeze trick on my TV, a JVC D-series. The horizontal lines are indeed annoying, but I was told to expect them, that they are normal.
The perfect solution is to make some screen mattes. They hide the lines completely and give you a perfectly black area around the widescreen picture, instead of the dark grey the tv produces.
Do a search here on HTF and you'll be able to find some threads dealing with making your own mattes. It's quick, easy & dirt cheap. Makes a big difference, to me anyway!

Cheers,

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Michael, I don't suppose you want to tell me how I might go about "defocusing the crt," or if it is possible for someone like myself to do so - would you?

Kris - thanks for responding. I don't think I explained my problem clearly enough. I wasn't talking about the black bands on the bottom or tops of a widescreen picture, but lines actually running through the picture, viewable mostly at the sides.
I did make some mattes though, after reading about them, and you are right - they do really make a big difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks