Annoying Food Allergies. Do you have any?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Wishton, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I was just thinking about some missed foods that I can no longer enjoy.

Anyone else have food allergies around here? They can really be damaging when it comes to leading a life.

Anyways, I have them to Gluten Grains (Wheat, Barley, Spelt, Triticale, Rye) as well as Dairy and Eggs. I had to have a biopsy for Celiac. How fun that was. Luckily, the damage to the small intestine was minimal and will heal on it's own over time.

I tried to cheat for a long time. I love pizza for example. But, my intolerance became severe this year which ended up in a hospital visit. I always felt ill from it, but at Christmas I became so ill I vomited blood at the Christmas Dinner. Sorry for the details.

There is a chance I will get over the Egg allergies if I avoid for awhile. It's minor. The Wheat one is anaphylactic and I have to carry an EpiPen for that one. That one is likely for life. It's the equivalent of the "peanut" allergy for me. Ugh!

Rice Crust Pizzas with Sheeps cheese for me I guess. Yum... Seriously, this is so ridiculous it's laughable in a way.

My cousin (11 year old girl) had an anaphylactic reaction to Fish. Her head bobbed and smashed off the table. No more Red Lobster in her future. Luckily, the service is poor and no one will miss it. No one else in the family has that we know of. At least so far.

So, any allergies or severe food allergies around here?

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Now that really sucks... I couldn't live without bread products.

I have quite a few and probably a few more I haven't encountered yet. I have an overactive immune system that seems to be constantly looking for new things to react to. The list so far includes raw honey (almost went into anaphylaxis on that one... I could feel my throat closing but thankfully it stopped), citrus products (goodbye orange juice & real lemonade) and the artificial butter they use on movie popcorn. If the citrus & honey have been baked, cooked or in any other way had their chemical composition changed it doesn't seem to affect me which I find weird.

My eyes tear constantly from airborne allergies... I would kill to have the condition that Janine Turner suffers from that makes her have to use Restasis.

I also sufer from severe photosensitivity (basically I'm allergic to the sun). I'm easy to spot in the summer, I'm the guy wearing long pants, a jacket & SPF 70 sun block on my face & hands (in lieu of the big floppy hat) in Oklahoma, no less. I burn in less than 5 minutes exposure and then I break out in a red/purple burning rash that is oh so attractive.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I am diagnosed as sensitive to iodine. I am a big shellfish eater (fried clams, mmmmm) so I'm lucky the only thing that sets me off is scallops. Something to do with the scallop being all muscle, which is where the iodine resides. Ate a couple pounds of bay scallops with my dad when I was younger, I was sick for 3 days with projectile vomiting. Had scallops a couple years after that, same thing. I have not eaten them since.

4. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

My son has Celiac disease. Good luck with that. he has been diagnosed for 4 years now. He just turned 13. On special occasions we let him indulge in "the good stuff" but otherwise he sticks to the diet fairly well. Worst part of it is the non-gluten foods are SPENDY.

Lots of meats and potatoes at our house.

I used to be allergic to whole wheat, but that seems to have gone away.

Other then that, were good.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I am allergic to gluten products. It's funny that, being in a college town, the one thing people always can't believe is that I can't drink beer. They just don't understand how I can survive. I try to explain that there are other things in life other than beer, but the point never really gets across.

Oh yeah, the best thing I've gotten to help with my gluten allergy is a bread maker. I buy some pre-made gluten-free bread mix and drop it in and the bread it produces is 100x better than any of the gluten-free breads I've bought.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

Weird, I belive (no formal testing) that I have a mild reaction to iodine because I can't eat most shellfish, be that shrimp, lobster, crabs, but scallops are no problem whatsoever. The worst is shrimp, the lobster and crabs are very minor and even then, the worst thing I get is an itchy throat and perhaps a tiny bit congested. I seem to be opposite of Jeff!

Jay

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I can eat lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, crab, everything except scallops. My reaction is never a rash or breathing problems, just sick in the stomach for days. Weird...

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Grape Skins (the inside of my ear itches)
    Raisins (lips bust out and become itchy and swollen)

Funny thing is I still eat grapes and raisins. Don't care.

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

One day, my family decided to have crab for dinner. After dinner, I helped mom with some kind of fruitcake. which involved shelling brazil nuts. For some reason, I ended up accidentally piercing my finger with the sharp meat removal tool. I retired to the bathroom to apply a bandage, but my finger swells up, and sometime later. I develop anaphylactic shock. Guess which allergen is blamed?

IIRC, it took an immense amount of cajoling to get my parents to consent to a differential diagnosis, but several months went by without shrimp, without lobster, without shellfish of any kind.

Now, I just look out for brazil nuts. People put them in the oddest foods. Oddly, enough, I remember surviving my last chance encounter with brazil nuts with a controllable anaphylaxis. Not pleasant, but medical attention proved unnecessary.

My brother grew up with a dairy allergy, which made him unaware of the immense culinary importance of cheese. I happen to like a good parmesano reggiano, but the very odor offends him.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Not an allergy but I am on a low-sodium diet due to a somewhat rare ear disorder called Meniere's disease--limited to 2000 milligrams daily. This means basically no pizza, no chinese food, no snack foods other than unsalted dry roasted peanuts. Since I've had to start reading nutrition labels on foods I now find I also can not eat any frozen or canned prepared foods at all, so my microwave has cobwebs inside. Even many deserts are loaded with sodium.

Upside is that I'm learning to make pretty decent low-sodium dishes from scratch and eating a lot more fresh home-cooked foods. Plain Pasta is sodium free but all of the prepared sauces are overloaded with sodium so I'm learning how to make my own sauces, sorta fun.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'm allergic to pineapple. I love pineapple, so every 6 months or so I convince myself the allergy is in my head and end up worshipping the porcelin God for about a 24 hour period.
    I also think I'm developing an allergy to escargot, due to the strenuous bowel movements that result shortly after eating the little fuckers.

Other than that, my only allergies are too Snuggles laundry detergent and the cephalosporin antibiotic Ceclor®. The latter is the only allergy that has nearly killed me. Not bad as far as such things go.

I think it'd die without wheat and diary.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Wow, pretty neat thread, although from the sounds of it, some of you seem to be beyond the "annoying" food allergies to the dangerous food allergies.

Mine is fairly minor and is truly just annoying!

Jay

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Yes, interesting thread. Around 8 or 9, my parents made pizza with shrimp as a topping. Felt like I couldn't breathe and also felt like something was painfully lodged in my throat - assumed the crust went down the wrong way. Just rested in bed and the feeling went away.

It wasn't until several years later that I made a connection - had chinese/korean noodles with shrimp in Chicago. The same sensation returned and I immediately recalled the earlier incident.

Never got anything officially diagnosed, since it was pounded into me that this weakness was merely psychological. So instead, based on my limited experience and sympathy, I concluded that I should steer clear of all things crustacean.

It's worked out pretty well. Although, like Adam, I'll occasionally convince myself, as a relic from childhood, that this weakness disappeared in my adulthood. But the moment my wife cooks up some shrimp or crab, my throat starts to constrict and I'll retreat.

Too bad...whenever I watch someone indulge in freshly steamed lobster or crab, I'll truly feel envy as I get lost in how everyone seems to get lost in the bliss of succulence.

14. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

A few years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot all over. Looked in the mirror and saw what looked like hives all over my back and spreading to my chest. My tongue started swelling and got scared ... wife rushed me to the Emergency Room. Still have no idea what caused it, but we seem to think it was a food allergy to a certain chili bean (we ate chili that night).

- Colton

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I don't have any food allergies (which is lucky since I have to taste many types of foods in my job) but I have a very severe allergy to sulfa drugs. The first (and only) time I used a sulfa drug I had to be hospitalized.

16. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

Reactions for me to tree nuts - almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc. Figured out when young when helping to grind nuts and got all swelled up...I now have an epi-pen after I had a pretty bad reaction when I wolfed down some homemade candy -bad idea - that was chock full of walnuts. Amazing where things turn up. Strange thing is I eat and love Honey nut Cheerios which list almonds as an ingredient. No problems though.

Peanuts are a-ok though...

I usually can tell something has nuts or has been close to nuts after a bite...get a funny feeling in the mouth and some swelling of the lips. Severe exposure results in hives and more swelling...

Also have found that apple skins, peach skins, etc tend to irritate me now - slight tingly sensation in the mouth, lips...

No gluten issues or others, thank you very much...

17. andrew markworthy

Allergic to beef and lamb (give me migraines). Allergic to kiwi fruit (burns my mouth). Intolerant to fresh mango (tends to revisit me about half an hour after it goes down). Imagine my delight when at a formal dinner I was presented with a starter with fresh mango in the salad, followed by roast beef and finishing with a kiwi fruit pudding. And all this after specifying that I wanted the vegetarian option. Also violently allergic to penicillin (at the risk of name dropping, this made it awkward when I used to work in the same lab as the widow of Ernst Chain; knowing her husband's invention nearly killed me did nothing for our working relationship).