What's new

Annoying Cartoon Network logo... (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott, the Fox logo is still there on the HD broadcast but since The Simpsons is 4x3, it is on the black bar on the right side of the screen so the image is unaffected. My standard def broadcast has the network logo and all the other crap that occasionally flies across the screen too :)

I gotta say that the Fox logo is nearly invisible on HD. It's all the way in the corner (not floating near the bottom) and it's almost translucent. Compared to the other three networks, they 'hide' it the best. I almost wish I watched more stuff on Fox. Almost.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I swear I remember reading something a few years ago where people were complaining about the station bugs and some net. exec stated that they started using them because they wanted to remind viewers what channel they were viewing or something like that.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been against bugs forever. Even more so when I got my RPTV and heard they could cause burn-in. The networks don't care. They wll tell you that because of the hundreds of channels they have to do something to tell folks who they are.

As for the flying animated promos... they have really gone too far. The Smallville banners have a moving spotlight effect that invades about half the picture. And yeah, I've heard the fire engine on FX.

Its getting so that I just want to wait until my shows are out on DVD.

Ric

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I see there are a lot of people angered about the logos. The question is, what can we do about it? Is there any way to get them to stop?

Why do the producers / directors allow thier tv shows to be altered by the networks? Wonder if we could get a director on our side?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It's incredibly strange how little protest from the creative community there's been. The Simpsons had a couch gag where Homer tears the Fox logo from the screen, throws it on the floor and stomps on it, but that's about it. Steven Speilberg had the network logos removed during showings of Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Schindler's List, but it was on during the otherwise-uncensored airing of Saving Private Ryan. (I can't watch anything with that ABC logo without thinking about Schoolhouse Rock!) I don't think it's any coincidence that there are more TV shows out there for sale than there ever have been before though, as that's really the only way to see them properly now. Some of those sets have got to be hurting the syndication market, but lots of local stations now put their own logos on during the reruns so they can go to hell.
If I ever had the chance to ask a question of anyone currently involved with a TV show, I would ask why they tolerate their work being desecrated like this. I myself wanted to work in TV for a long time, but decided not to due to the blatant lack of respect the actual program material now gets (I'd hoped to have a job programming an independent TV station, but most of those are gone now thanks to Fox, UPN and WB.)
I've heard the reasons given for logos, but I think it's just ridiculous. Knowing what channel or network you're watching should not be SO important that it justifies spoiling the picture and the entire mood of the show. Besides, ideally when you're putting stuff on the air you want to make the people keep watching YOUR station and not change to any other channels! Besides, my Mitsubishi TV shows the Extended Data Services signal, which works sort of like closed-captioning- it can display call letters next to channel numbers if they have them on their signal, and with a button it will display the name of the network at the top of the screen and the name of the show currently on at the bottom (it even works during commercials.) The networks started using this technology just a couple months before they started keeping their logos onscreen during every show.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I notice that durring "special things" like this years Masters, the network didnt have any logo on screen. This would imply that they do feel that the logo must be taking away from the experience. Which, in turn, implies that they know it detracts, but Too Bad! So Sad! for us during normal shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks