What's new

Annoyed with the History Channel and their President's Day programming (1 Viewer)

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
One would think that on President's Day the History Channel of all channels, would devote at least some of their programming today to the history of the presidency.

But that would make sense. Instead of this, what do we have? A "Digging For The Truth" marathon.

Oh joy. :thumbsdown:

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I've gotten pretty tired of the History Channel. There was a time I would have paid extra for some of their programming, especially if it was commercial free, but now I rarely bother. HC seems to be taking the route of other so called niche channels in trying to broaden their audience. Its about numbers of viewers, not delivering programming to a small yet devoted market.

TLC and Discover have gone down that path. What "learning" is there in watching rooms being renovated? Is there something to "discover" while watching a chopper being built?

A&E has transformed from "Arts & Entertainment" to the "Art of Entertainment". I used to enjoy it for the British programming they used to show. "Growing up Gotti"? Geesh. Bravo was great for fine arts and now its the "Queer, Poker, West Wing Channel" (Confession: Celebrity Poker is a guilty pleasure ;) ). I don't even have time for AMC.

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
The History Channel had a good documentary on the presidents around inauguration day. It consisted of about 7 hours covering every president briefly. It would have been nice to go into a little more detail, plus my Tivo erased one of the hours before I could save it.

On Reagans Birthday they had a two part show on his life that was nice. It would be nice if they did that with every president.

Perhaps Ken Burns will take up the torch and do some presidential biographies.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

I know.... growing up I used to watch the mystery shows they had. Murder, She Wrote and Father Dowling Mysteries.

Now all they have are these shows that don't intrest me. And what was with See Arnold Run?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A&E once was known for (villainously) bidding up the price of PBS fare. PBS once showed Poirot-- then A&E bought it up. IIRC, several other shows followed. Now that A&E shows trash, perhaps PBS will have its pick? I suppose it doesn't really matter now, since Mystery lost half of its funding...

Mike Slade

Second Unit
On the Late Show they just had a joke about this during their week in review. They showed a promo parody something like "Join us as the History Channel clebrates President's Day with...[non President related shows]....The History Channel, we don't know what the Hell we're doing."

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Well, I just recently saw a promo on HC for a show on how to break a caisino. Maybe they'll get some actors to dress up as historicial figures playing poker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks