What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Arrgg... Did anyone else purchase the 4K version of Mary Poppins Returns from Amazon Prime? My instinct told me it was going to be problematic with Movies Anywhere. I've never had any issues purchasing 4K content through Vudu or FandangoNow, but this is the first time I purchased a 4K title though Amazon Prime. It was just so I could save a few bucks using some bonus no-rush shipping credits. Anyway it's been over an hour and the title has NOT imported into MA at all. I even bought another title on iTunes which imported to Amazon Prime just fine, so the issue lies with this one title.

I should have followed my instinct and paid full price at Vudu or FandagoNow and used the credits for something less risky. Anyway I’ve contacted MA about the issue and I would imagine a high-profile title such as this will get a ton of complaints and they will have to fix it.
Just an update. The folks over at Movies Anywhere are great! Since Amazon Prime's 4K listing is totally separate and not yet mapped to MA, they manually added the title to my MA account after I provided proof of purchase.
So I'm basically done with digital purchases through Amazon Prime. As already stated, they are the worst MA retailer. I should also point out that the Amazon 4K version doesn't have HDR or Dolby Atmos.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Found a way to upgrade iTunes HD versions to 4K if you already own them.

On your phone or pc simply go to iTunes, find the film you want and gift it to yourself.

I tried it with Wild for$4.99 and it worked.
Actually I reported this process 7 months ago. Guess nobody was listening. :emoji_nerd:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But kudos to Cranston for posting a complete step by step process which I didn’t :thumbsup:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I’ve been curious about the classic My Friend Flicka in HD. iTunes and Fandango only have it in SD but Vudu, Amazon and GooglePlay have it in HD. I decided to take a chance on a disc-to-digital $5 upgrade. There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that Vudu’s HDX file is an old garbage transfer, stretched to 16X9. Amazon’s HD file is also the same old transfer but in the correct 1.33:1 aspect ratio. iTunes and Fandango have the same garbage transfer but only in SD (also stretched). The good news is that the HD copy on both Movies Anywhere app and GooglePlay is a beautiful new transfer with practically no alignment/registration errors.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So I’ve been curious about the classic My Friend Flicka in HD. iTunes and Fandango only have it in SD but Vudu, Amazon and GooglePlay have it in HD. I decided to take a chance on a disc-to-digital $5 upgrade. There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that Vudu’s HDX file is an old garbage transfer, stretched to 16X9. Amazon’s HD file is also the same old transfer but in the correct 1.33:1 aspect ratio. iTunes and Fandango have the same garbage transfer but only in SD (also stretched to 16X9). The good news is that the HD copy on both Movies Anywhere app and GooglePlay is a beautiful new transfer with practically no alignment/registration errors.

I would contact iTunes and tell them about the transfer and that a better one seems available. They have been pretty good about things like that in the past.

Also, yay for Movies Anywhere, which helps having when problems like this come up.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I’ve been curious about the classic My Friend Flicka in HD. iTunes and Fandango only have it in SD but Vudu, Amazon and GooglePlay have it in HD. I decided to take a chance on a disc-to-digital $5 upgrade. There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that Vudu’s HDX file is an old garbage transfer, stretched to 16X9. Amazon’s HD file is also the same old transfer but in the correct 1.33:1 aspect ratio. iTunes and Fandango have the same garbage transfer but only in SD (also stretched). The good news is that the HD copy on both Movies Anywhere app and GooglePlay is a beautiful new transfer with practically no alignment/registration errors.
I wish I had the ability to take actual screencaptures of the two different transfers, but all my computer equipment is Apple which has completely locked out the capability to do screencaps of any DRM material. So I took a couple of snapshots off the projected image in my home theater. Disclaimer: These photographs are in no way representative of the actual digital files.

Here's old transfer Amazon Prime (notice color mis-registration issues)
MFF-AP1.JPG

And here is the new transfer (Movies Anywhere App)
MFF-MA1.JPG

Old transfer:
MFF-AP2.JPG

New transfer:
MFF-MA2.JPG

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Strange. My copy of Backdraft that I recently purchased for $4.99 from iTunes has been upgraded to 4K/HDR 2 weeks ahead of the physical release. I don’t recall a title ever doing that. Not that I’m complaining. ;)

Btw it $14.99 now.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Strange. My copy of Backdraft that I recently purchased for $4.99 from iTunes has been upgraded to 4K/HDR 2 weeks ahead of the physical release. I don’t recall a title ever doing that. Not that I’m complaining. ;)

Btw it $14.99 now.
I preordered this on Amazon, do let me know when you get a chance how it looks.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Has anyone that entered the 4k Alien 40th Anniversary code through MA had their Vudu version upgraded yet? Vudu added the 4k on 5/22.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has anyone that entered the 4k Alien 40th Anniversary code through MA had their Vudu version upgraded yet? Vudu added the 4k on 5/22.
My iTunes copy automatically upgraded to 4K so I haven’t used my code yet. I will and I’ll let you know if it upgrades. It should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks