What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yikes, why bother when there are already websites that have historical price tracking? Blu-ray(dot)com does it for ITunes titles. They used to price-track Amazon stuff too but Amazon managed to get that blocked now.

View attachment 53817
What makes you think I'm not using such sites to help me track these titles? In 2018, I saved a lot of money tracking pricing on titles whether in disc form or digital. However, I felt that I still left a bunch of savings on the table if I was only more patient and diligent with price tracking. I'm retired so I have the time to do a better job of that in 2019 than 2018. Furthermore, there is room for more savings if I'm more discerning of which titles I purchased on disc and which ones I can do so on digital that might not only save me some bucks, but also are in the 4K format on digital while being just 1080p on disc.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What makes you think I'm not using such sites to help me track these titles? In 2018, I saved a lot of money tracking pricing on titles whether in disc form or digital. However, I felt that I still left a bunch of savings on the table if I was only more patient and diligent with price tracking. I'm retired so I have the time to do a better job of that in 2019 than 2018. Furthermore, there is room for more savings if I'm more discerning of which titles I purchased on disc and which ones I can do so on digital that might not only save me some bucks, but also are in the 4K format on digital while being just 1080p on disc.
iTunes price at $9.99 for "The Nun" 4KDolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Usually, I've had decent experiences with Movies Anywhere support, but right now they're having a case of not understanding.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine disappeared from my library. I added it via a disc based redemption through itunes last year. It still shows up in my transaction history, and was still showing up at Vudu. However, when I search MA for the movie, it only gives me buying options, not playing. When I checked Microsoft, it showed up revoked and then disappeared after I clicked on it.

I've read on other forums that this movie has been having problems anyway, so I figured they would be aware of it. Instead they picked up on the part of my message about Microsoft and said it must be an issue with them. I replied back asking about the part of the problem where I can't see it in the MA library.

Their response:

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and/or logging out or logging back into the website, as we can see the movie in your account as active, you should be able to find it in your My Movies section and search for it to play.

Well, if I could find it there, I wouldn't be contacting support, would I?

In the end, I just needed to reconnect iTunes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does anyone here actually use Movies Anywhere to watch a film?? I don’t.

In order I use

iTunes
Vudu
Amazon Prime

Is there any advantage to MA over these services?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I have all the movies I had codes for linked up to Google Play. I then just open the Google Play movie app on my Roku TV and watch what I want. I never use MA for watching.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t believe that has ever been the case. On the contrary many 4K titles I have redeemed thru MA playback in HD only.

There are some codes for some box sets bundled with UHD releases which redeem as UHD in Movies Anywhere but don't port over to Vudu in UHD. "The Matrix Trilogy" UHD boxset is one of these; it comes with the code bundled together for all three films. It redeems in Movies Anywhere as 4K but transfers to Vudu as HD only. So for that title, watching in Movies Anywhere provides a clear advantage over watching in Vudu.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There are some codes for some box sets bundled with UHD releases which redeem as UHD in Movies Anywhere but don't port over to Vudu in UHD. "The Matrix Trilogy" UHD boxset is one of these; it comes with the code bundled together for all three films. It redeems in Movies Anywhere as 4K but transfers to Vudu as HD only. So for that title, watching in Movies Anywhere provides a clear advantage over watching in Vudu.
But it redeems in iTunes in 4K doesn’t it?My point is that MA doesn’t have any exclusive 4K titles. And less than all the other services I believe.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sure there are several such movies in regard to Vudu and probably a few with iTunes too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unless Of course you don’t have access to those other services, I guess watching thru MA makes sense.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But it redeems in iTunes in 4K doesn’t it?My point is that MA doesn’t have any exclusive 4K titles. And less than all the other services I believe.

It did redeem in 4K on iTunes, but at the time I did the redemption, I didn't have a 4K AppleTV. So viewing in Movies Anywhere was my only option to stream that title in 4K.

I'm curious how many 4K AppleTV boxes are out there in circulation, compared to the number of TVs with built-in smart apps, Roku boxes, Chromecasts, Firesticks, etc. Only the AppleTV will play content from iTunes, but all of those options will play content from the Movies Anywhere app. So I'm certainly appreciative of, and in favor of, Movies Anywhere carrying as much 4K content as they can.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It did redeem in 4K on iTunes, but at the time I did the redemption, I didn't have a 4K AppleTV. So viewing in Movies Anywhere was my only option to stream that title in 4K.

I'm curious how many 4K AppleTV boxes are out there in circulation, compared to the number of TVs with built-in smart apps, Roku boxes, Chromecasts, Firesticks, etc. Only the AppleTV will play content from iTunes, but all of those options will play content from the Movies Anywhere app. So I'm certainly appreciative of, and in favor of, Movies Anywhere carrying as much 4K content as they can.
Waitaminit. Are you 4K capable now Josh??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but as you know 4KATV plays content from Movies Anywhere, Amazon and Vudu using those apps on iTunes.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but 4KATV plays content from Movies Anywhere, Amazon and Vudu using those apps on iTunes.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was this: if a 4K code is only going to redeem in 4K in some places but not others, having the redemption work in 4K in Movies Anywhere is, practically speaking, probably more useful to a wider variety of people. If a code redeems in 4K only on iTunes, that only helps people who have an AppleTV, since you cannot stream iTunes movies to any device other than an AppleTV. And since AppleTV is not the most widely used streaming box, that would put a lot of the potential audience at a disadvantage. If the code is valid in 4K in Movies Anywhere, that ends up being more widely accessible, because you can download the Movies Anywhere app on any device, whether it's an Apple TV, a Roku, a Chromecast, a Firestick, or a Smart TV.

This was following up my earlier point that the digital code included with the Matrix Trilogy UHD discs redeems in 4K in Movies Anywhere, but only as regular HD in Vudu. I was using that as an example to explain why someone might want to watch a movie on Movies Anywhere instead of a different service. Tino pointed out that the same code also worked in 4K on the AppleTV, and I was just pointing out that Movies Anywhere is more universal -- having it be in 4K in Movies Anywhere is probably more helpful to more people than just an iTunes 4K version would be.

Waitaminit. Are you 4K capable now Josh??

Technically, but not really. I have a dual display setup in my home. I use an HD 1080 3D capable projector for all of my movie watching and for prestige television. I had a 50" plasma HDTV that I used primarily for news, sports, sitcoms and TV shows on DVD, basically anything for casual viewing. That plasma unfortunately died. Because the TV isn't my primary display device, we didn't want to spend a fortune on an upgrade that was basically going to be used for my "M*A*S*H" reruns and my wife's gaming. We ended up getting a new TCL Series 6 4K TV. I've sampled some 4K content on the set using streaming, but I'm not planning on buying a UHD player at this time. I will probably never use this TV to actually watch movies on. So even though it's 4K capable, it's going to be used almost exclusively for material that is much lower in resolution than 4K. My projector, which is my main display, will continue to be used for watching movies, so for all practical purposes, I'm still HD.

(My receiver is not compatible with 4K because it has the older HDMI standard that will not passthrough 4K content. So if I wanted to start going 4K on the TV, it would take more than just buying an UHD disc player, I'd also need to buy a new receiver. I ran two cables from my new AppleTV 4K box, one going to my receiver to feed an HD signal to the projector, and one directly into the TV for 4K. I'm not sure that we're really going to be watching anything on the TV in 4K, but for how cheap HDMI cables are, I didn't see any downside to having the direct connection available if the need for streaming in 4K suddenly arose.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If the code is valid in 4K in Movies Anywhere, that ends up being more widely accessible,
But as I mentioned, some 4K codes that are redeemed thru MA only play in HD on the MA app while redeeming as 4K every where else.

Or are we saying the same thing? I’m confused now. :P

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But as I mentioned, some 4K codes that are redeemed thru MA only play in HD on the MA app while redeeming as 4K every where else.

Or are we saying the same thing? I’m confused now. :P

I think we're circling the same point :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks