What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Oh, yes, let me clarify....

Now I don't have to blindly buy everything. I can rent. Though blindly buying often gets me 7.1 audio which from looking through the Vudu catalog, not all new releases have. Baby Driver is one that doesn't on the HDX version.

The stuff I buy is content I have confidence in.

That is how I mostly use streaming, as well -- as a method of renting films I'm not sure I want to purchase. Almost everything in my online digital library (a little over 100 films) are from digital codes that I redeemed from BDs or UHDs purchases, but I've rarely actually watched any of those redeemed films via streaming. I did one batch of 10 films through Vudu's Disc to Digital program when they were offering half off for 10 titles just to try it (and where I ran into the issue with the pan & scan version of The Hustler).

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This is freaking awesome! I already had Disney Movies Anywhere linked to my iTunes account (and my Vudu account linked to iTunes too). But the new Movies Anywhere takes it that extra step, linking MORE titles from other places, apparently.

When I created my new Movies Anywhere account and linked Vudu and iTunes to it, not only did I get the free 5 movies, but an additional 10 movies were magically added to my iTunes account. Movies that were showing in Vudu but, for some reason, didn't link to iTunes. Now they do.

Best of all (and pretty much the reason I'm excited about this), for any movie that is available in 4K in iTunes that is now linked from Movies Anywhere (even if it was a UV only code) is now available in 4K on my Apple TV 4K for FREE. No need to upgrade to the 4K Blu-ray version!

To verify, I selected a single title that was UV only that I hadn't redeemed yet, Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow. I redeemed it at Movies Anywhere and about 10 minutes later (took a bit) it showed up in my iTunes library. Prior to entering the code I found the title at the store via Apple TV 4K. It prompted a purchase or rental and showed it was available in 4K (which is why I chose Edge of Tomorrow for the test). After it finally showed up in my iTunes library I checked it again on my Apple TV 4K and, BINGO, now it's available to play and it is in 4K (and one of the Dolby Vision titles).

FREE 4K upgrades if the UV code redeems to an HD version and the 4K version is available in iTunes! AWESOME!

Mark

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I have so many Ultra Violet codes I never bothered to redeem before. I am going to have a busy weekend now that this perk has landed.

Exactly! I've got a TON of UV-only codes sitting in my various Blu-ray cases. I am going to be very busy redeeming them all! The Edge of Tomorrow code had an expiration date of 1 week ago, but it still worked. Hopefully, other expired codes will work too.

My thoughts go to all of those fools that sold their UV codes because they thought they'd never use them. For standard HD titles, I'd rather play the Blu-ray too. But for free 4K upgrades, damn straight I'll be watching via the Apple TV 4K!

I've been considering upgrading certain catalog titles to 4K Blu-ray if I could get the titles for about $10 each. Not anymore. Most will likely get upgraded to 4K in iTunes and I can watch them in 4K that way without spending anything extra.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Chill? I have all my movies linked up. No worries here. And I never said you asked a question. Whoever was trying to confirm that what I was saying was accurate or not- as if I wasn't reading the 4K icon in iTunes.? No worries.
Actually you did say I asked a question.

noel aguirreSecond Unit

Me...No one said you were making it up.
You....Then why ask that question?

I agree tho. No worries.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm that seems odd that they only released 2?
Can anyone else confirm that ? Maybe there are however I do know that they are not available in 4K in iTunes.
Why is that odd?? Those are the last two Disney films released and GOTG2 was their first UHD title. And you need someone else to confirm? My word isn’t good enough?:D

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hi Tino, did you have any luck? I had the same problem as you. Once talking to support and disconnecting and then reconnecting my VUDU account all my titles ported over successfully.
My VUDU titles also appeared in my iTunes account. Took about 30 minutes for them to appear in iTunes.
Hope it works out for you.
Thanks Christian. I’ll give that a try

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why would other studios become thralls to a Disney owned service? This doesn't make sense. And how does this affect Netflix subcribers in Canada, since Disney's monopoly service isn't available here?

Also, I would still be leery of giving the keys to my collection to a company like Disney. I don't trust that outfit at all.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hi Tino, did you have any luck? I had the same problem as you. Once talking to support and disconnecting and then reconnecting my VUDU account all my titles ported over successfully.
My VUDU titles also appeared in my iTunes account. Took about 30 minutes for them to appear in iTunes.
Hope it works out for you.
Who did you talk to? Can’t get thru to anyone.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Why would other studios become thralls to a Disney owned service? This doesn't make sense.

While it is true that Disney owns it, I have no doubt that the other studios would not have joined if Disney was “in charge” of the whole thing.

Contracts spelling out the rules of the MA road would have been negotiated and the fact that it happened shows that these huge companies must be happy with the terms.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why would other studios become thralls to a Disney owned service? This doesn't make sense. And how does this affect Netflix subcribers in Canada, since Disney's monopoly service isn't available here?

Also, I would still be leery of giving the keys to my collection to a company like Disney. I don't trust that outfit at all.
It is not a Disney owned service. They are all equal partners. And we all know how you feel about Disney Edwin.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It is not a Disney owned service. They are all equal partners. And we all know how you feel about Disney Edwin.

Actually, Edwin is right - it is owned by Disney...

From Deadline:

“While the service is owned by Disney, it has an advisory committee with representatives of the other studios.”

Last edited:

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Who did you talk to? Can’t get thru to anyone.
Hi Again Tino,
Yeah, it took me a long time to get through. Just checking my phone now I had to redial due to a busy signal 43 times, and when I got through I was hold before getting to the tech support queue for 56 minutes.

When I finally got through the lady I spoke to was named Chelsie. She was very helpful but did tell me that their technicians are having issues with titles porting to iTunes and are working on a solution, there is no estimated time of completion.

Case in point, this afternoon I bought a title via the Movie Anywhere site, it showed up on Vudu in about 5 minutes but it still is not in my iTunes.

They are obviously still working out some bugs.
Anyway hope this helps.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, Edge of Tomorrow showed up in iTunes about 10 minutes after redeeming the UV code. I haven't been so lucky with a couple of others. It's been more than 50 minutes and some others haven't shown up in iTunes yet.

Mark

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Well, Edge of Tomorrow showed up in iTunes about 10 minutes after redeeming the UV code. I haven't been so lucky with a couple of others. It's been more than 50 minutes and some others haven't shown up in iTunes yet.

Mark
Hi Mark, I got impatient and disconnected my iTunes from Movies anywhere and then reconnected it. The title then showed up.
Go figured, hope I don't have to do that all the time.

Chris

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Mark
Don’t forget that Paramount, MGM, Lionsgate, and smaller studios won’t work because they aren’t in the alliance!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes!! Disconnecting and reconnecting did it! Awesome. Thanks Christian. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Yes!! Disconnecting and reconnecting did it! Awesome. Thanks Christian. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

HA! good to hear Tino! Glad it's working for you. Aside from the inevitable startup glitches I think it is a pretty slick set up.
I love having all(well almost) my VUDU title in my iTunes, makes it much easier for me since I am in Canada. No more needing a VPN to access VUDU. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks