1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I didn't think this was worth its own thread but had to post it somewhere just because I'm LOLing and wanted to laugh with people who would understand why it's so funny.

On Facebook, in a group where code trading happens, I recently ran across a post with a photo of the Fully Restored Widescreen CAV Laserdisc of The Little Mermaid from 1998 which the person recently purchased. They wrote, "Does this come with a code" for a digital copy? "The discs won't fit in my computer" so he concluded it can't be the old kind of digital copy where you had to transfer from a disc. But somehow the fact that it says "Laserdisc" on it and is not packaged like a Blu-ray or DVD seemed to escape him, and the person seems to have purchased it under the impression that it is a Blu-ray. :rolling-smiley:

I was too polite to laugh there, but I thought this was hilarious. In high school, a teacher once showed us a laserdisc and another student said, "Dang, that's a big-ass DVD!" I think I was the only person in the room to recognize what it was.

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Apparently, Tomb Raider is UltraViolet (although there is no mention whatsoever on Warner's insert as to what redemption service the digital copy resides on). Redeemed via wb.com/RedeemDigital per the instructions on the insert, which then took me to Vudu. Code redeemed as UHD on Vudu, but only SD on FandangoNow.

3. Message #983 of 1194 Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Supporting Actor

That’s because Tomb Raider is MGM, which is a member of UV, not MA.

4. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Yeah, but so were the Hobbit films, but they are both UV and MA. I guess it depends on what the actual role Warner has on a recent MGM co-production. With The Hobbit, they were a co-financier, so they migrated to MA. I suspect on Tomb Raider they were more of just a distributor, hence UV only.

5. Cranston37

Yeah, that’s more or less it. I think the tie breaker is who releases it on domestic home video. In the case of LOTR it’s New Line.

Hopefully things like this will become moot when everyone joins MA...

6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    And hopefully that will be soon.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    No news on that front since MA launched. I don't see any big pressure on them to do so...

8. Cranston37

My hope is that the pressure will come from them not wanting to pay to keep UV up and running for such a small number of studios...

9. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    With yesterday's decision, it is possible that AT&T may want Warner to leave UV as a cost-cutting measure - they were one of the founding studios, and that could force the hand. Both Fox and Universal have already left for that same reason.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I wanted to watch The Incredibles tonight with the sequel having just arrived in theaters, but didn't want to be stuck watching my old DVD in 480i. I couldn't justify paying ~$30 for the upscaled 4K UHD release that just came out, nor $20 for the Blu-Ray that's a few years old at this point. Google Play had it for $12.99, cheaper than all of the other platforms. I never use Google Play, but thanks to Movies Anywhere I bought it there and it's available in the other platforms I do use.

In that sense, Movies Anywhere is fulfilling the promise of a digital locker in a way that Ultraviolet never quite achieved smoothly or comprehensively.

I wouldn't miss it at all on the movies side, but Warner Bros still puts out a lot of TV on Blu-Ray product, and I'd miss the UV copies from that. I redeemed then on a multitude of services, but watch them all on Vudu. And hopefully they wouldn't do like Fox did and drop digital copies all together for their television product.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm so confused. I bought 2 WB movies today. Point break had a UV card in the sleeve but it redeemed at MA. Matrix had a MA card. Aren't they fully MA now?

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Point Break was released on UHD in 2016, before the single-studio Disney Movies Anywhere became the multi-studio Movies Anywhere. The Matrix was released on UHD well after the Movies Anywhere announcement.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Auditioning

Andrew Tan
    YouTube only 1080p in Apple TV 4K. Ever though it label 4K but in actual it is up to 1080p only. You know this by clicking option to change resolution. Also no HDR support in YouTube. Actually no tv box support HDR in YouTube, include Android TV Box. But HDR in YouTube do support in Panasonic TV in model I use EX600K.

14. Cranston37

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    So who is NOT MA still? Criterion, Paramount for sure, is Lionsgate in or out at this point?

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM are the main studios not in MA. Yesterday, I bought Tomb Raider (2018) for $9.99 4K from Vudu. Even though it was a Warner release, it didn't populate to MA because it was a joint production with MGM. Luckily, it plays in 4K/Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos on iTunes through the Vudu app.

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    I'm confused about Disc to Digital. I thought that it worked by redeeming the UV license for a movie. But the wording of that announcement sounds like D2D will still be available.

If Fox titles will still work with D2D, then this turn of events doesn't affect me.

18. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    That's actually old news - Fox stopped issuing UV codes on new releases with Kingsman: The Golden Circle and Universal did the same at the beginning of the year. It did not affect any titles released on the UV platform prior to that studio's cutoff. For example, the codes included with the Jurassic Park 4k Collection redeemed as both UV and MA when redeemed on Vudu.

What is interesting, and possibly new, is where it says:

This is the first I've heard of Disc to Digital in relation to Movies Anywhere. That was something that was always part of Vudu's partnership with UV, and never a part of Movies Anywhere.

19. Message #999 of 1194 Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Technically, Disc to Digital is where you take a DVD or Blu-ray you purchased some time ago that did not come with a digital copy code, scan it using the Disc to Digital option in the Vudu app (or inserted the disc into your PC's DVD or Blu-ray drive while running Vudu's app for Windows), and for a few bucks would add a digital copy of that movie (if it was eligible) to your Vudu library. To add a digital copy in the same definition was $2 (DVD to SD or Blu-ray to HDX), and $5 to upgrade (DVD to HDX).

FandangoNow complicates the term Disc to Digital by referring to it as the digital copy insert included with most Blu-ray and 4K physucal media releases.

20. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    What I am seeing now, with relation to Fox, is that any titles not redeemed prior to July 11, 2018 will be MA only, while titles redeemed prior to the cutoff will remain in both libraries.

If I log in to Vudu, my older Fox titles show both UV and MA logos. When I logout, those same titles show as MA only.

I see this as another nail in the coffin for UV.

Sam Posten likes this.