1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Dilemma

Only The Brave is available on iTunes in 4K/HDR for $17.99. It will also port to Vudu in UHD.

Blu Ray is $19.99 with HD digital code.

Wouldn’t have this problem if it were released in 4K on disc.

I’ve always bought the physical discs
    previously but want to see this in 4K.

Decisions
    Decisions.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I know this may not be a popular answer... but with net neutrality now a thing of the past, it's entirely possible that at any day, the internet service providers are going to decide, "If you want to use iTunes or Vudu, that's an extra $20 a month". (This is how it works in some European countries which don't have net neutrality.) So I'm not necessarily keen on having my only copy of a title being tied to needing online access. Having the digital copy along with the disc is one thing, but I'd be especially wary on depending on the internet for content long term given that I think we're likely to be charged a lot more starting soon.

(Netflix in the past has paid ISPs directly for better access, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them picking up the cost, but I'm not necessarily expecting iTunes or Vudu to do the same. And the question is... if having iTunes or Vudu access ends up costing you an extra $10 or $20 a month, will you still use those services?)

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't expect that result, at least, not for a good while.

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I don't think Net Neutrality will have anything to do with streaming prices going up if anything it was restricting growth. The pricing increase is inevitable. As Streaming continues to gain subscribers cutting the chord and more and more studios are starting their own streaming service streaming will eventually become the new cable/satellite TV. Probably still 5-10 years out but as it slowly happens the low streaming prices we see from services like Netflix and Hulu will gradually go up and eventually they will start packaging services together like cable does and eventually the pricing for streaming will be the same as cable when they officially put cable out of business. The low pricing for streaming we see now is similar to the very early days of cable. But once they take over and they have the monopoly the pricing will go way up just as it did with cable.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Just noticed Hell Or Highwater upgraded to 4K on iTunes. :thumbsup:

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I gave VUDU some hell yesterday because six of the films I own on VUDU which I redeemed from UHD digital codes are now available in UHD. but we’re only available in HDX when I redeemed them.

My argument is that since the codes I redeemed were from UHD discs I purchased, those films should be upgraded to UHD.

They disagreed and the issue has now been escalated. Well see but I doubt it will work out in my favor.

More and more I find myself using iTunes more and VUDU less.

Tony Bensley and Sam Posten like this.
  7. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Been there, done that. After chasing my tail for several hours, I ultimately gave up. Vudu will refer you to the studio, the studio will refer you to UV or MA, possibly even back to Vudu. UV and MA will refer you back to both the studio and Vudu. That has been my experience.

One thing I have noticed recently when redeeming codes on MA's website - once the code is redeemed, it will tell you what the maximum resolution rights are for the code you redeemed. Although I rarely redeem on MA (mostly Disney), I will take a screenshot of that redemption notice telling me what my format rights are, so that I can use that as evidence back to the retailer that they owe me the UHD version.

Tony Bensley and Tino like this.
  8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Hmm

Just noticed that about 9 films that I owned in 4K on iTunes are now only HD. Including the Dark Knight trilogy and 2 of the Raimi Spiderman films. Anyone else?

:wacko::wacko:

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I checked the Dark Knight Trilogy all played 4K while only Spider-Man 2 didn’t play in 4K of the Raimi films. Though Spider-Man 1 played in 4K, it was in a different aspect ratio than the other 2 films. I can’t remember if that’s correct or not?

10. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Spider-Man 1 should be 1.85:1

Tino likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    First Spidermam is 1:85

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thanks, it saves me from looking it up.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I ran into the same issue with a code that I claimed via Vudu. After repeated complaining and escalting via an online trouble ticket with Vudu (this went on for months), the best I could get out of them was a $6 credit on my account. The studio would just point me back to Vudu, who would point me back to the studio. It was like dealing with AT&T.

14. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    I remember some discussion when Spider-Man 2 came out that Raimi went with a longer picture to better capture Doc Ock's arms. If not for that, the entire trilogy probably would have been in the same AR.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Still Having issues with iTunes.

4K films keep disappearing and reappearing.

iTunes was no help of course.

Disconnected and reconnected all services.

Missing about 12 4K films now.

Whatever. It is a great free service so I can’t complain that much. Just annoying.

16. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Heads up - I redeemed Lady and the Tramp on MA last week (from my review copy), and it did not include any of the promised archived features, unless you viewed it on the MA app.

MA tech support is supposed to be looking into it.....

17. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Did I read of others not having some titles show up? Particularly Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? On the site they have a FAQ about other Marvel titles not showing up, but not that one.

18. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    The Marvel ones listed on the FAQ are the movies originally released through Paramount.

There shouldn't be an issue with any of the other Marvel movies, since they're Disney movies, and Disney is the main driving force behind MA. I didn't have any issue with GOTG2, and that was one of the first movies I redeemed on MA.

Interesting sidebar about the Paramount Marvel movies -- After redeeming Thor and Iron Man 2, I went back a few weeks later to redeem the first Captain America movie. Did the same thing of redeeming it in itunes and then e-mailing MA. By that time, MA had changed their "proof of purchase" requirements. I initially sent in a picture of the blu ray disc and case, but they wanted more. It sounded like they wanted a screen shot of a redemption or receipt. Obviously, I'm not going to be getting something like that from a digital copy redemption after the fact. I got a little worried, because I got the disc back when it first came out, most likely as a gift, and just recently started caring about the digital copies. I explained that, along with saying that Thor and IM2 were redeemed the same way just recently, and included a screen shot of my itunes library with Cap showing in there. They accepted that, so it's all good, just took a couple of extra steps. I thought it seemed a little silly that I had to do that, because I thought that MA should have had access to my account to see that the movie was there.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    None of my Fox titles will be in 4K on iTunes. You can't directly redeem your digital codes on iTunes, you have to go through Movies Anywhere or FoxDigitalMovies which doesn't give you the option of redeeming thru iTunes, just Vudu and Google.

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Since when?? I just redeemed a few fox titles on iTunes in 4K thru foxdigitalmovies.com.