What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Earlier today I redeemed Kong Skull Island on VUDU and just streamed it in 4K HDR from the iTunes Movies app on my Apple TV 4K.
I own this in 4K on Vudu. It did not port to iTunes or Movies Anywhere in any form.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I own this in 4K on Vudu. It did not port to iTunes or Movies Anywhere in any form.
Something went wrong with one of your linkups. All of my Warner Brothers titles populated to all my platforms. It wasn't instantaneous but did happen after a few minutes. You don't by chance have more than one Vudu account do you?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Something went wrong with one of your linkups. All of my Warner Brothers titles populated to all my platforms. It wasn't instantaneous but did happen after a few minutes. You don't by chance have more than one Vudu account do you?
Only one Vudu account.

Checking now and I see many films from different studios that are part of MA did NOT port. Will call them later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just signed up. Linked my iTunes, Amazon and Google accounts despite the fact I have nothing in them.

I suppose I can go through all my discs and insert redemption codes, but I don't know how good those codes are good for and I don't know if I really need to stream what I own. Maybe. Still deciding.

But I have to say, I am very excited about this. Having my video collection in the "cloud" that I can access at any time.

It will all be perfect when 7.1 and Atmos codecs are added to the mix.

With new Blu-ray discs at $20 and streaming at $20, the Blu-ray is still a better choice -- especially if it contains a redemption code.

However, I have to say, after signing up I felt a sense of optimism for things to come.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW, Vudu offers Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (which is higher quality than regular DD) and Atmos for many titles.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I suppose I can go through all my discs and insert redemption codes, but I don't know how good those codes are good for and I don't know if I really need to stream what I own.

What you need to do, Ron, is use Vudu’s Disc to Digital service to turn your discs into MA digital copies (when you don’t have a code). Only $2 per movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spending time looking through this site.

What's interesting is a number of HD titles not available on optical.

Take for instance The Parent Trap and A Night At The Opera. It's indicated that there are HD versions. I wonder how these look and if some sort of restoration was done. And if it was, at least for ANATO, why hasn't Warner released it to Blu?

I could easily see myself dropping $20 here and there for movies not available on disc. No wonder Disney stopped announcing new classic titles to their club.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I just signed up. Linked my iTunes, Amazon and Google accounts despite the fact I have nothing in them.

I suppose I can go through all my discs and insert redemption codes, but I don't know how good those codes are good for and I don't know if I really need to stream what I own. Maybe. Still deciding.

But I have to say, I am very excited about this. Having my video collection in the "cloud" that I can access at any time.

It will all be perfect when 7.1 and Atmos codecs are added to the mix.

With new Blu-ray discs at $20 and streaming at $20, the Blu-ray is still a better choice -- especially if it contains a redemption code.

However, I have to say, after signing up I felt a sense of optimism for things to come.

This is my current project, Ron. Out of the A-F movies I have (probably 100-150 titles), only three were expired or I couldn't redeem. That's not a bad ratio, IMO. It's interesting to see all the different kinds of DC's over the years and realize everyone working together (well, almost everyone) should have been done at the beginning, not 10 years into DC's. It didn't take a long time for HD DVD to go away and one high def format to be on the shelf.

Movies Anywhere, or some version, needed to be around a long time ago. But at least it's here now. It's not perfect (not every studio is on board, for instance), but I'm going to redeem all DC's from now on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What you need to do, Ron, is use Vudu’s Disc to Digital service to turn your discs into MA digital copies (when you don’t have a code). Only $2 per movie.

Okay, you have my attention.

How does the service know you actually own the movie?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You either insert the actual disc into your Mac or scan the barcode with your iPhone
I’ve tried scanning multiple times with zero success.

However I have converted hundreds of films on my computer. I’m up to 1600 HDX films on Vudu.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I’ve tried scanning multiple times with zero success.

However I have converted hundreds of films on my computer. I’m up to 1600 HDX films on Vudu.

The mobile version has a smaller number of films compared to the disc version, so that’s to be expected.

Yeah my Vudu collection is at 1,400 (and all of that is now in iTunes and Amazon as well!) - all built on D2D conversions and codes. If you buy full price for a digital movie you are doing something wrong ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Movies Anywhere, or some version, needed to be around a long time ago. But at least it's here now. It's not perfect (not every studio is on board, for instance), but I'm going to redeem all DC's from now on.

The only two holdouts, as much as I am aware, are Paramount and Lionsgate.

I would estimate Lionsgate will come on board eventually.

Paramount, on the other hand, is a tough cookie. From some internal things I know, they are demanding a very high price for their catalog and have been courting buyers, but I think most everyone has backed away (my opinion). Either Paramount is going to continue holding out for a distributor that can afford their price, or, they will agree to make their money on streaming purchases. Again, my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks