What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if you redeemed it twice once with Blu-ray and then a second time with 4K/UHD?
This is what I found out which is messed up. When Warner released The Accountant did they not have the 4K/UHD code activated in January, but had such codes activated in February when I added Argo and The Town?

The Accountant: SD, HD January 14, 2017

Argo: SD, HD, UHD February 17, 2017

The Town: SD, HD, UHD February 17, 2017

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This is what I found out which is messed up. When Warner released The Accountant did they not have the 4K/UHD code activated in January, but had such codes activated in February when I added Argo and The Town?

The Accountant: SD, HD January 14, 2017

Argo: SD, HD, UHD February 17, 2017

The Town: SD, HD, UHD February 17, 2017

I did a Google search for “The Accountant UHD code redeem.” It looks like back then you had to redeem in Flixster to get UHD. Flixster has of course since gone under so now it’s through Vudu...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did a Google search for “The Accountant UHD code redeem.” It looks like back then you had to redeem in Flixster to get UHD. Flixster has of course since gone under so now it’s through Vudu...
As I stated previously in this thread, I wish I could go back to 2016, when I bought my first 4K/UHD disc and I would have deferred redeeming any of those titles until sometime next year, hoping that all the issues and bugs would be addressed with these 4K/UHD codes.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
As I stated previously in this thread, I wish I could go back to 2016, when I bought my first 4K/UHD disc and I would have deferred redeeming any of those titles until sometime next year, hoping that all the issues and bugs would be addressed with these 4K/UHD codes.

The life of being an early adopter in the digital age?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
OK, here's my new strategy for 4K codes. And I come at this from the perspective of an Apple TV 4K user, and I prefer that as my 4K streaming platform:

• Fox: redeem via iTunes - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. However, only SD/HD in VUDU, although this might get corrected.
  • Warner Bros.: redeem via myuv.com - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. Will be UHD on VUDU if they offer it as such.
  • Sony: redeem via SonyPicturesStore.com unless VUDU offers it in UHD, then redeem via VUDU. Can @Tino or anyone actually confirm if you redeem a Sony 4K title in VUDU, that VUDU also has in 4K, that it pushes back into myuv.com and/or SonyPicturesStore.com as 4K?
  • Disney: redeem via MA app
  • Universal: redeem via iTunes - should (?) push into iTunes @ 4K, I'll still need to test. Pushes to VUDU as HDX.
  • Paramount/Lionsgate - no freaking clue.
I don't have 4K apple play, so I don't know how it shows in iTunes, but Paramount UHD codes show in Vudu as UHD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How does Disney make money from this? It doesn't look like there is a subscription fee, at least not yet. Advertising littered all over the place?

I sincerely hope Disney provides better long term support for you fellows signing up for this than they did for people with 3D displays.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How does Disney make money from this? It doesn't look like there is a subscription fee, at least not yet. Advertising littered all over the place?

I sincerely hope Disney provides better long term support for you fellows signing up for this than they did for people with 3D displays.
This is not Disney owned. It is shared currently by the four participating services equally.

Jeez Edwin. Hate Disney much?:D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is not Disney owned. It is shared currently by the four participating services equally.

It has already been established that this is a Disney owned service with several studios opting in essentially as junior partners.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Even if it was joint ownership, which it isn't, the question still stands. How do they make money from this? What is the angle? What did Disney promise to other studios in order for them to climb on this platform?

Make that three questions. :D

Disney has done nothing in the last few years to incur any love from me. They think their customers are marks. They consistently have some of the highest prices on their new and catalog titles if any studio. They screwed owners of 3D displays. If they had maintained support, TVs would probably still have 3D capability built-in.

I hope you guys have better luck with them in regards to this service, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Their recent track record instills zero confidence from me.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Guys, didn’t we just do this 5 days ago. Tino, again, Edwin is right...

Why would other studios become thralls to a Disney owned service? This doesn't make sense.

It is not a Disney owned service. They are all equal partners. And we all know how you feel about Disney Edwin.

Actually, Edwin is right - it is owned by Disney...

From Deadline:

“While the service is owned by Disney, it has an advisory committee with representatives of the other studios.”

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I don’t think there is intended to be any money made from Movies Anywhere directly.

The money will come when they sell a movie through iTunes, Amazon, Google, and Vudu, much like when they sell a disc through Target, Amazon, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart.

MA is basically the cost of doing business in the digital age, and is an expense like packaging and shipping was for discs. They needed to create it in order to make consumers feel more comfortable spending $19.99 on a digital license, which will then increase sales.

Last edited:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I realized I don't have any Paramount UHD Blu-rays... how do they instruct you to redeem their codes?
You are usually able to redeem both iTunes and UV (one of the only studios to still allow this). I redeem in iTunes and usually in Vudu. If there is a 4k version in Vudu you get it. It appears that when I look up Paramount UHD titles in iTunes that they show as 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks