What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If anyone redeems a Sony UHD code on Movies Anywhere, please let me know what versions show up on the various MA partners. I've redeemed two Sony codes directly on SonyPictures.com as indicated on the insert, because that usually gets me a 4K streaming version on ULTRA, at the very least, and every so often on Vudu, too. But redeeming a Sony UHD code on Vudu has always gotten me strictly HDX on Vudu and other UV partner platforms.
Todd

As I mentioned above I redeemed 7 Sony UHD codes on the MA app and they all showed up in iTunes in 4K. Only Baby Driver was redeemed thru Vudu in UHD and ported to iTunes in 4K

Here is the post:

And three more Sony titles which I redeemed the UHD code (1 code for all three films) today thru the MA App are the three Raimi Spider-Man’s.

All three are now playing in 4K in iTunes.

Edit. Oh and Dracula 1992 also redeemed thru the MA app.

So for me thats 7 Sony titles redeemed thru the MA app and Vudu and not thru iTunes that are now in 4K on iTunes.

Baby Driver...redeemed thru vudu
Close Encounters-redeemed thru MA
Dracula..redeemed thru MA
Ghostbusters 1984...redeemed thru MA
Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3...redeemed thru MA

Hopefully everyone will soon get the same results as I did.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd

As I mentioned above I redeemed 7 Sony UHD codes on the MA app and they all showed up in iTunes in 4K. Only Baby Driver was redeemed thru Vudu in UHD and ported to iTunes in 4K
What did they show on Vudu? I do not use iTunes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I already owned them in HDX in Vudu so the only new title was Baby Driver which is available in UHD on Vudu. I don’t believe the other titles are available in UHD in Vudu.

However when I redeemed the Close Encounters UHD code thru the MA app, the theatrical and special edition showed up in Vudu in SD.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
However when I redeemed the Close Encounters UHD code thru the MA app, the theatrical and special edition showed up in Vudu in SD.

Ugh. Similar story just happened to me with the Underworld UHD code. I redeemed via MA app, and ported into VUDU as SD :angry:

It's also MIA from Sony Pictures, UV and iTunes.

From now only, I'm only going to redeem Sony UHD codes via the Sony Pictures site, and hope VUDU eventually offers them in 4K. That seems like the safest way to preserve the 4K entitlement.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
OK, here's my new strategy for 4K codes. And I come at this from the perspective of an Apple TV 4K user, and I prefer that as my 4K streaming platform:

• Fox: redeem via iTunes - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. However, only SD/HD in VUDU, although this might get corrected.
  • Warner Bros.: redeem via myuv.com - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. Will be UHD on VUDU if they offer it as such.
  • Sony: redeem via SonyPicturesStore.com unless VUDU offers it in UHD, then redeem via VUDU. Can @Tino or anyone actually confirm if you redeem a Sony 4K title in VUDU, that VUDU also has in 4K, that it pushes back into myuv.com and/or SonyPicturesStore.com as 4K?
  • Disney: redeem via MA app
  • Universal: redeem via iTunes - should (?) push into iTunes @ 4K, I'll still need to test. Pushes to VUDU as HDX.
  • Paramount/Lionsgate - no freaking clue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For Fs sake, I just redeemed the 5 movie Spiderman legacy 4k pack (2 codes) and it's giving me them all in FING SD.

Will see if it clears up, but don't be like me, don't redeem them on Movies Anywhere, redeem them direct with Sony. Sigh.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
First of all - anyone experiencing Vudu giving them SD copies if they purchased/redeemed HD elsewhere - their engineers said it’s a bug and they are working out it.

Second - let this be the end of this particular topic...

UPDATE 10/17/17 DIRECTLY FROM APPLE:

Apple is ONLY upgrading **iTunes Store purchases** to 4K. Everything else will stay at the original purchase or redemption resolution, be it 4K or HD.

To clarify...

If you PURCHASED a movie or REDEEMED a Digital Copy IN iTunes AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you get a free 4K upgrade and will be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you PURCHASED a digital movie in 4K somewhere else, like VUDU, AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you'll be able to play this title back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy code from a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray somewhere else AND it's available in iTunes in 4K AND that specific movie studio allows for 4K redemption on this specific title, you'll be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

But...

If you PURCHASED an HD version of a movie on VUDU, or one of the other streaming services, it will only playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy from an HD Blu-ray in Movies Anywhere or VUDU or Ultraviolet, it will playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes. Please also note that some studios sell 4K Blu-rays with "HD" Digital Copies included.

With that said, it's still not always easy to actually check the resolution of redeemed titles -- especially since 4K HDR copies are only supported through certain equipment. For example, looking at my iTunes library on a Windows PC shows everything as being in HD. Likewise, since the Apple TV 4K upscales everything to HDR, it's not always a reliable way to determine what native version you own either. Instead, users might need to check the iTunes Store or TV app on their iOS 11 devices to see if the titles are listed as native 4K HDR or Dolby Vision.

To check the playback resolution of a movie on your Apple TV 4K, swipe down on your remote during playback; this reveals an INFO tab along with the playback resolution. Keep in mind that you can't check on your display because the Apple TV 4K is set up to output at one constant resolution based on your display's capabilities.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For Fs sake, I just redeemed the 5 movie Spiderman legacy 4k pack (2 codes) and it's giving me them all in FING SD.

Will see if it clears up, but don't be like me, don't redeem them on Movies Anywhere, redeem them direct with Sony. Sigh.
I redeemed the three Raimi Spiderman films UHD codes thru MA and they all showed up In iTunes as 4K.

I already owned them in HDX on Vudu but the two extended/editors cuts redeemed on Vudu in SD.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
I redeemed the three Raimi Spiderman films UHD codes thru MA and they all showed up In iTunes as 4K.

I already owned them in HDX on Vudu but the two extended/editors cuts redeemed on Vudu in SD.
Do they show up on your SonyPicturesStore and/or myuv.com libraries?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seriously, the arrogance of Disney to call a service within one country's national boundaries Movies ANYWHERE. LOL
Another well executed plan by Igor of Disney.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So now my Vudu version of Dawn Of The Dead theatrical that I purchased the other day from iTunes is in HDX. It originally ported in SD. So they are apparently working on the issues as stated.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Can we all start identifying the studios and/or 4K releases that only include "HD" Digital Copies?

Lionsgate!/?
As far as I know ALL digital copies included with Blu Ray and 4K discs are labeled Digital HD. None have said 4K/UHD digital copy. Not sure if that’s what you were asking Robert.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As far as I know ALL digital copies included with Blu Ray and 4K discs are labeled Digital HD. None have said 4K/UHD digital copy. Not sure if that’s what you were asking Robert.
Tino,

No, that's not what I'm asking. I'm talking about 4K/UHD Disc Releases that have Digital Codes that give you only HD streams and not 4K streams like the following Liongate titles:

Red
Red 2
John Wick
John Wick 2
Sicario
Kick-Ass
The Expendables
The Expendables 2

Just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks