What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This part does suck. I also bought the HD theatrical version of Dawn Of The Dead from the iTunes Store for $4.99 and it ported to Vudu in SD.
That does suck because right now I'm using Vudu with my Roku Ultra unit more than iTunes because the Roku offers me Dolby Atmos along with any 4K presentations I do have in my digital library.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That does suck because right now I'm using Vudu with my Roku Ultra unit more than iTunes because the Roku offers me Dolby Atmos along with any 4K presentations I do have in my digital library.
Robert

You don’t use the Vudu App on your LG OLED ? Many of the Vudu UHD films are in Atmos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know, huh? I’ve got apps on AppleTV, TiVo box, Blu-ray Player, etc. I don’t need apps on my smart tv and projector too!
Also, there is an 8 device limit for Vudu that I've already reached as I have three HT setups in my home.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Also, there is an 8 device limit for Vudu that I've already reached as I have three HT setups in my home.
Me too. Whenever you get a new piece of equipment does it go in the main theatre and the old piece gets demoted to one of the other setups? My bedroom setup is all hand-me-downs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Me too. Whenever you get a new piece of equipment does it go in the main theatre and the old piece gets demoted to one of the other setups? My bedroom setup is all hand-me-downs.
Yes, new equipment in the main HT and old pieces are demoted to the other setups.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I set mine up a few days ago, I got the same error but when I came back a short while later it had fixed itself (I think it helped that my email account for DMA and MA were the same).

I tried mine again yesterday, and it still didn't work. My email account is the same for both sites, just like you. I even made sure my passwords matched between the two.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I know, huh? I’ve got apps on AppleTV, TiVo box, Blu-ray Player, etc. I don’t need apps on my smart tv and projector too!

Having apps on my display is handy right now, as my Roku Ultra just died and I have to send it back to Roku for a warranty replacement. My Sony UHD player does not have NHL.tv, but that app can be cast on my Vizio display. So I do not need to move an old Roku temporarily from another room to my main HT for the next week or two. Right now the only thing I cannot watch is any 4K + HDR content on Amazon, as the Ultra was the only device I owned which supported that.

Also, my Vizio display is the only device I have which supports Vudu in 4K + Dolby Vision. I didn't buy a Apple 4K TV yet, and am not sure if I will -- I have never owned an Apple TV in the past and haven't used the iTunes store for anything other than grabbing a few free songs for my iPods.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Having apps on my display is handy right now, as my Roku Ultra just died and I have to send it back to Roku for a warranty replacement. My Sony UHD player does not have NHL.tv, but that app can be cast on my Vizio display. So I do not need to move an old Roku temporarily from another room to my main HT for the next week or two. Right now the only thing I cannot watch is any 4K + HDR content on Amazon, as the Ultra was the only device I owned which supported that.

Also, my Vizio display is the only device I have which supports Vudu in 4K + Dolby Vision. I didn't buy a Apple 4K TV yet, and am not sure if I will -- I have never owned an Apple TV in the past and haven't used the iTunes store for anything other than grabbing a few free songs for my iPods.
Scott,

That Roku unit of yours was clearly a lemon as I never any of your problems with my unit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What does that solve as I'm getting the same with my Roku Ultra and Vudu?
Does Roku have Dolby Vision? That’s why I use the app on the OLED. And it just seems more convenient to me. If I thought so I would actually just play the damn disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does Roku have Dolby Vision? That’s why I use the app on the OLED. And it just seems more convenient to me.
I have seriously doubt that Dolby Vision vs HDR 10 is much of a difference while streaming, especially with 2016 OLED models.

Edit: Also, I lose Dolby Atmos using the LG's Vudu app because I'm restricted to using an optical cable from my LG to my receiver for audio.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looking back, I wish I didn't redeem any of the codes that came with my 4K/UHD disc purchases. I should have just collected them and waited for the industry to figure this crap out and offer us a better process to received 4K streams. From now on, I'm collecting those codes and will redeem later on hoping the industry figures it out.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Looking back, I wish I didn't redeem any of the codes that came with my 4K/UHD disc purchases. I should have just collected them and waited for the industry to figure this crap out and offer us a better process to received 4K streams. From now on, I'm collecting those codes and will redeem later on hoping the industry figures it out.

That's why I never really redeemed codes until last week. I have about 10 unopened UHD titles, I'm still debating on what to do about redeeming the codes.

Here's the issue with Sony, I'm going to use 1984 Ghostbusters UHD code from the 4K disc as an example, as this title is available from iTunes in 4K as well:

I followed the instructions on the code slip, and started the redemption process at SonyPictureStore.com. I redeemed the code, and my UV library is linked to Sony. The Sony site does verify that I own "Format: 4K Ultra HD + HDR". Also, myuv.com Library indicates the title is sourced from Sony Pictures (as opposed to VUDU) and "SD, HD, UHD". So far, all good.

Now VUDU only shows this title as HDX (as expected). In the Movies Anywhere iOS app Transaction History, it lists Ghostbusters as purchased from VUDU. Since VUDU doesn't reflect my 4K entitlement, MA must not be sending my 4K entitlement to iTunes. When I watch on Apple TV 4K, the main menu correctly identifies Ghostbusters as 4K, but the Info screen while playing only shows HD.

It appears @Tino avoided this by redeeming this title directly in the MA app. Tino can you tell us where the MA app shows your Ghostbusters transaction history origin from? I'm guessing it will say MA.

Anyone else know of a way to get MA (or iTunes, really) to try and grab my 4K entitlement from Sony/UV, instead of from VUDU?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

That Roku unit of yours was clearly a lemon as I never any of your problems with my unit.

Yes, this Ultra has been a royal pain in the butt. I am glad that it finally stopped working completely so it can be replaced by Roku. The intermittent problems have been frustrating. The only downside is I have to pay for shipping to Roku -- Sony covered shipping both ways when my X800 UHD player was replaced under warranty. It's still better than having to buy a new streaming box, though.

My luck hasn't been very good with 4K devices. :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But doesn’t that put you at risk of losing them, if the codes expire while you’re waiting?

c.f. I’m confused about all this digital code / streaming stuff

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
But doesn’t that put you at risk of losing them, if the codes expire while you’re waiting?

c.f. I’m confused about all this digital code / streaming stuff

Possibly, yes...after going through half my collection last week, I came across maybe a half dozen I couldn't get to work. And some of the physical discs have been on my shelf for 7 years. So, in that case, it's all on me and no one else.

Real Name
Manny
The one thing that I welcome but strikes me as a loophole and/or odd is that I primarily use itunes for my streaming services. Dr. Strange is currently 14.99 on the google play store while itunes is selling for 19.99 so I bought it via google play and now have my itunes copy in HD.

Just seems too good to be true.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The one thing that I welcome but strikes me as a loophole and/or odd is that I primarily use itunes for my streaming services. Dr. Strange is currently 14.99 on the google play store while itunes is selling for 19.99 so I bought it via google play and now have my itunes copy in HD.

Just seems too good to be true.

That’s not a loophole, that’s the free market.

Heck, you could D2D a movie on Vudu for $1 and have it show up in other services. And what about codes redeemed from buying the blu-ray? Nobody got a cent from that.

If iTunes wanted your sale they could have competed better in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks