What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It refers to DEVICES AND SERVICES access anywhere. Not countries. As soon as Canada gets a hollywood you guys might be treated as equals but until then you have to understand that there are ridiculous legal, economical and other factors that make it completely sensical that services will start in the country of origin and roll out from there. In the grand scheme of things the only claim Canada has here is relative location, many many other countries are economically more important to these services than you are.

Having purchased Baby Driver in 4K on iTunes I assure you it's there on Apple TV.

Anyway. I have an Apollo 13 code to turn in, 4k. From Universal. I should redeem this on iTunes right?
I just checked and Apollo 13 as far as I can tell is not available in 4K on iTunes. I was thinking the same thing as I bought the UHD today.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you already owned a film in iTunes in HD and there is a 4K version available, you are upgraded automatically. I think it only applies to previous purchases and not to new redemptions....unless it’s a UHD code you’re redeeming.
That makes more sense. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any incentive to pay the premium for 4K -- you'd just buy one AppleTV 4k and defray the cost of the device over 30 or so HD purchases. A great deal for Apple, but a terrible deal for the content providers.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
But I thought I read somewhere that all HD titles in iTunes with a 4K version available would stream automatically in 4K on the new AppleTVs.
^^^ Yes that was the case until about 24 hours ago. Now, you need to either redeem a UHD code, or originally purchased via iTunes in HD to get the 4K version.

Having purchased Baby Driver in 4K on iTunes I assure you it's there on Apple TV.

Anyway. I have an Apollo 13 code to turn in, 4k. From Universal. I should redeem this on iTunes right?

Yes I believe it’s still on the AppleTV interface. Just weird that it’s MIA in iTunes.

Yes, I recommend redeeming via iTunes, but I haven’t done a Universal title, yet. There are some weird examples of Fox UHD titles redeemed via iTunes only showing up on VUDU in SD, but that doesn’t really bother me, as the iTunes version is 4K.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
^^^ Yes that was the case until about 24 hours ago. Now, you need to either redeem a UHD code, or originally purchased via iTunes in HD to get the 4K version.

Yes I believe it’s still on the AppleTV interface. Just weird that it’s MIA in iTunes.

Yes, I recommend redeeming via iTunes, but I haven’t done a Universal title, yet. There are some weird examples of Fox UHD titles redeemed via iTunes only showing up on VUDU in SD, but that doesn’t really bother me, as the iTunes version is 4K.
On my Apple TV interface it shows Apollo 13 as available in HD only.

Edit. Sorry. Just realized you were talking about Baby Driver.

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
It refers to DEVICES AND SERVICES access anywhere. Not countries. As soon as Canada gets a hollywood you guys might be treated as equals but until then you have to understand that there are ridiculous legal, economical and other factors that make it completely sensical that services will start in the country of origin and roll out from there. In the grand scheme of things the only claim Canada has here is relative location, many many other countries are economically more important to these services than you are.

Thanks for clarifying that MA it is not about countries. I am sorry I did not realize this forum/thread was not also for Canadians to find out about issues & problems in Canada, and it appears I have insulted some people here with my Canadians issues which are not wanted here.
Does anyone know of a Canadian forum I should be going to instead? Thankyou , and again I am sorry for intruding.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nobody is driving you off. We welcome members of all countries and have tons of Canadians here.

Claiming that you are being screwed somehow isn’t going to get much traction here tho. It’s a matter of logistics and priorities. You’ll very likely get it soon enough but you are obviously not in the first wave.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
How did you get this working in Canada ? Is it working through a roku ?

Hi, well from here in Canada what I was able to do was connect my UV collection to VUDU (via VPN) and my US iTunes account to Movies Anywhere, then once my collections had synchronized between the two platforms I set up a Canadian Google Play account, connected that to Movies Anywhere and surprisingly enough my VUDU and iTunes accounts synchronized with Google Play and I am able to watch my collection on my Roku via Google Play without needing to have a VPN activated.
it really worked out well.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
take care
Chris

Last edited:

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Yes we got shafted again. This is ridiculous. Why are they even selling UV codes to Canadians.

Exactly! if I didn't figure out this Google Play work around UV would be absolutely useless to me now in Canada now.
It's so infuriating that we have to jump through all these hoops just to watch our digital collections.
Now I can understand if we could not buy UV titles or not have them available to us in our Blu Rays but they are readily available in most Blu Rays and are for sale so not giving us a platform to watch them on is rather vexing.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've just scanned through many of my movies available on the Apple TV 4K again. It's my opinion that most of the "bugs" are fixed with regard to proper versions (resolutions) based on where you entered the digital code.

1) If it was a UV-only HD code that isn't a Lionsgate or Paramount title, the corresponding version in iTunes is HD. The bug last week that showed some of these UV-only HD movies getting upgraded to 4K in iTunes has been fixed. Anyone expecting to get a free upgrade to 4K on Apple TV 4K for UV-only codes they enter in the UV system needs to drop their expectation. It ain't happening anymore (and wasn't really happening in the first place, the films were just labeled wrong). That said, it still seems that some titles are having HDR applied to them, even in just HD.

2) If it was an iTunes-compatible HD code redeemed in iTunes and the 4K version is available in iTunes, I am seeing free 4K upgrades for those titles.

Clearly, the only free 4K upgrades we will be getting from here on out (unless things change) is if the codes are redeemable directly in iTunes.

In my opinion, there is still a bug, however. If I purchased a 4K title with UV-only code, I believe I should be entitled to the 4K version in iTunes. Some of my UV-only 4K codes ARE showing up in iTunes as the 4K version. Batman v Superman is one example. But Baby Driver 4K (which is CLEARLY available for purchase in 4K in the iTunes store) only shows up as HD in my iTunes library. Not cool. I paid for 4K.

I suspect that last part is Warner Bros. vs. Sony. Warner Bros is allowing 4K UV-only codes to be available in 4K in iTunes, apparently Sony is not. I'll have to check other 4K Sony titles.

Mark

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unfortunately if you purchase a 4K title in iTunes and there isn't a 4K version in VUDU they will give it to you in SD.

turns2stone

Agent
Real Name
Sam
I suspect that last part is Warner Bros. vs. Sony. Warner Bros is allowing 4K UV-only codes to be available in 4K in iTunes, apparently Sony is not. I'll have to check other 4K Sony titles.

Mark

Mark, your experience matches mine. What other 4K Sony title is available on iTunes (aside from Baby Driver) that we could try to redeem via UHD code?

EDIT: original Ghostbusters is behaving the same as Baby Driver. I redeemed the UHD code for Ghostbusters on the Sony Pictures site, and it only plays in HD on the Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still cannot migrate my Disney Movies Anywhere account to my new Movies Anywhere account. It keeps telling me that account cannot be migrated. I sent an email to the address on the MA site for tech support, but have received no response.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I still cannot migrate my Disney Movies Anywhere account to my new Movies Anywhere account. It keeps telling me that account cannot be migrated. I sent an email to the address on the MA site for tech support, but have received no response.

When I set mine up a few days ago, I got the same error but when I came back a short while later it had fixed itself (I think it helped that my email account for DMA and MA were the same).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mark, your experience matches mine. What other 4K Sony title is available on iTunes (aside from Baby Driver) that we could try to redeem via UHD code?

EDIT: original Ghostbusters is behaving the same as Baby Driver. I redeemed the UHD code for Ghostbusters on the Sony Pictures site, and it only plays in HD on the Apple TV 4K.
I redeemed the original Ghostbusters UHD code on the MA app today and it plays in 4K on iTunes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I also redeemed the Close Encounters UHD code on the MA app today and it too now plays in 4K (and ported the Theatrical and Special Edition to Vudu in SD).

So clearly you can get Sony 4K versions in iTunes from codes redeemed elsewhere.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And regarding Baby Driver. I still think it’s s glitch. When I search for it on the iTunes Store I get this message.

D453AFC3-8C80-42CC-96FB-26053C7C14B7.png

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And as I now type this Baby Driver is playing in 4K on my Apple TV

Apparently the glitch has been fixed.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And three more Sony titles which I redeemed the UHD code (1 code for all three films) today thru the MA App are the three Raimi Spider-Man’s.

All three are now playing in 4K in iTunes.

Edit. Oh and Dracula 1992 also redeemed thru the MA app.

So for me thats 7 Sony titles redeemed thru the MA app and Vudu and not thru iTunes that are now in 4K on iTunes.

Baby Driver...redeemed thru vudu
Close Encounters-redeemed thru MA
Dracula..redeemed thru MA
Ghostbusters 1984...redeemed thru MA
Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3...redeemed thru MA

Hopefully everyone will soon get the same results as I did.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unfortunately if you purchase a 4K title in iTunes and there isn't a 4K version in VUDU they will give it to you in SD.
This part does suck. I also bought the HD theatrical version of Dawn Of The Dead from the iTunes Store for $4.99 and it ported to Vudu in SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks