Announcer-less football has returned!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_C, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Those of you who have Fox stations with the SAP (Second Audio program) capability missed a rare treat last night...for the first time in nearly 20 years, there was ANNOUNCERLESS FOOTBALL!!! It was accessed via the SAP channel (where foreign-dubbed translations would have been).

You could hear the game without interference from the announcers. What a treat it was for me!!!

The last time announcerless football happened was some 20 years ago, when NBC decided to dump Dick Enberg and go with a game free from announcers (remember, this was from the same network that also experimented with female play-by-play football announcers, the "silent minute", and one-announcer games).

Fox really has gone innovative, hasn't it?

"Do'h!"
    --Homer Simpson

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Wasn't the last game that did that the Jet's Vs. Miami? I recall people liked it but it was never followed up on. Me, personally, I like announcers...if they have a classy style and can turn a phrase. Annoying people like Jerry Glanville or Bill Maas can just go.

Bruce

3. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

You have Howard Cosell rolling in his grave. He felt the obligation to imbue each MNF telecast with a theme that he - of course - was uniquely blessed with the talent to expound and expand upon.

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Ah, it's nice sometimes isn't it?

Here in Canada, at least some of the NHL playoffs were announcer free on French CBC due to a labour strike.

It was very...relaxing?

5. clemente

clemente Agent

One of the things that I miss when I go see a sporting event live is the commentators. There the only thing that gets me through the lulls in the game...and often what's going on, on the field (penalties and the like) aren't always apparent.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I remember that NBC announcerless broadcast. Wasn't it on one of the Saturday games in the final week of the season? It was a unique treat, but I do like having announcers -- if they know what they are talking about. It gets frustrating listening to some of these guys blather on, discussing an officiating decision when the announcers do not even know the rules.