What's new

Announcement: Warner Home Video Blu-Ray Loyalty and HD-DVD Trade Up Program (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But there's an additional cost when you do it that way. If you do all 19 titles at once, the handling fee is $6.95 for the entire order. If you do it in three orders, it's 3 x $6.95, or $20.85. Makes a difference.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

HD-DVD players can be had in abundance NEW and used on ebay.

I am still not convinced by this argument.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I not sure anyone wants to convince you.
Just saying why it's good for them.

As I said before this is a way for me to buy blu's
For little more then $5.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I guess Reggie's kind of seeing this the same way as I am - not really seeing the point of spending even $5 on Blu-rays that are just about exactly equivalent to the HD DVDs we already own. Max out the offer, and you could have bough five or six new movies; by the time the HD DVD player breaks in a few years, replacing these discs with Blu-rays will likely be nearly as cheap without the special offer because prices will have dropped, or there will be new editions available that you might have purchased anyway.

It really reads like an amazing scam - like Warner is getting people to spend money on things that are exactly the same as what they already own, and the marks are thanking them for the opportunity. Is the convenience of getting a little closer to having the HD DVD player out of the rack really worth that money?

(That said, if I didn't have an HD DVD player, I'd go see what iNetVideo and the like are offering for $3 this week and wind up with $8 Blu-rays)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Take it from someone who knows the worst case scenario of having 3 HD DVD players vanish overnight (via home theft last Christmas), that when you don't have a HD DVD player to play your HD DVDs, and then have to go on the 2nd hand market (Ebay, Craig's List, etc), you are having to settle with used HT gear, and you never know if the shipping gods will deliver you a HD DVD player in good working order, or one that gets abused just enough to be "working" but with diminished functional use from being banged around in transit over the short run. Plus the hassle of dealing with shipper's insurance when things go bad is a big time waster and unpleasant for the parties involved.

If you get a format upgrade for each title for $5/title, at least you know that if your current blu-ray player goes south, you will have plenty of options for a new blu-ray player without the hassle of sourcing 2nd hand goods.

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I just tried to do this, twice, using their online cart, etc. I have 15 titles to trade in. And, both times I tried to do this, I never received any sort of confirmation email with the "printable bar code" that identifies my order when I send in the covers. I did it once, but waited all night for a response, and the bar code, to appear in in my mailbox. When nothing showed up this morning, I did it again. And, again, nothing in my mailbox confirming anything at all.

They take all my info and email address, I fill out all the forms and then they don't even send the order confirmation to my email address? How am I supposed to send anything back to them without the order document? I believe to have to include the generated bar code with your sleeves, so they can identify your order... but I got no bar code/email after trying this twice.

Anyone else having this problem?

I guess I'll do it again, but I really hate the fact that I've given some "phantom" recipient at WB my credit card info twice now (and probably having generated two "order numbers" as well), with nothing to show for it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
$5 for a additional/back-up Blu-ray is a damn fine offer by any measure.
Anybody who says not is simply being obtuse.

Hell, if you're happy with you HDDVD versions you could buy them and give them as inexpensive gifts to family and friends who have Blu players.

You might have different theater set-ups in different rooms (HDDVD/BLU)

You could buy them and give the HDDVD versions to family/friends who still have HD DVD players in use

You could buy them and sell the HDDVD versions

Hell you could buy them for $5 and probably sell the new Blu-ray for more than that.

What if your copy of an HDDVD is damaged or might be---you get a Blu copy back-up for $5 and all you need to give up is the sleeve.

In my case I only have a few titles on HDDVD---all but one are Warner titles. (I was mostly a HDDVD renter)
Now i can retire my HDDVD player and I'm giving it to my mom as a quality upconvert player.

Are we really at the point where people are saying $5 is too much for a blu-ray disc? It should be cheaper?

This was out of the blue (or Blu) and seems a really good idea for fans who were 'red' and felt a little annoyed at their behavior. A nice gesture.
And their customer service has been very helpful and efficient to me.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

Yes!

It happened to me. for some reason my e-mail intercepted it and sent it to 'SPAM'
Check your spam--it may well be there.
Also, don't worry, they don't charge your card till they SEND your order of Blu-rays

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's not a question of 5$ being too much per disc (at least not for me). For me, the 130$ (or whatever it would be) can get me stuff I don't already have. I recognize its appeal to many people--my point is simply that it isn't necessarily appealing to everyone.

Anyway, this is just going around in circles. Those who are taking advantage of the programme, enjoy. Just remember there are legitimate reasons not to do so as well.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Evidently a few of the upgrade prices have increased. Casablanca is now up to $9.95. Planet Earth is $14.95. The Ultimate Matrix and Harry Potter sets are now $19.95.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Check during the check out process. I just looked at Casablanca and it still shows $4.95 on the product page, but it changes to $9.95 at checkout.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... then I wonder if folks will call them up and raise hell, but I wonder if anyone will answer the phone now that we're close to the weekend on the west coast.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It appears they have also added some product notes under a few of the titles like Casablanca.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed some of these prices have been jacked up. My 50 dollar order just went to 75.00! I may not do that Matrix thing after all now.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Also the Ultimate Matrix. It now refers to both the Trilogy and Ultimate HD DVD collections and requests the cover art for Matrix Revolutions -- which supports my theory (stated earlier in this thread) that they aren't enforcing strict compliance with the fine print that requires you to send in all the cover art in every box set. (I played it safe and included all of it anyway.)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I went back and took a look at the listings. It seems that PLANET EARTH is no longer listed. Glad I jumped on this on Weds! Mailing my inserts out tomorrow.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Planet Earth no longer listed? Double ouch! Since the original case I got with the HD-DVD was badly damaged this was gonna be one of my top selections. He who hesitates.... I guess. I'm starting to wish I never heard of this deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks