What's new

Announcement: Nicholas Ray's 'Johnny Guitar' and John Ford's 'Rio Grande' on DVD and Blu-ray from Ol (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
During this period of transition (March 1953 - September 1956) every studio had their own house ratio, but even that was subject to change.
For example, Paramount starting composing for 1.66:1 in March and then changed to 1.85:1/2.00:1 in September.
Universal-International started with 1.85:1 in March, changed to 2.00:1 in June and then continued to suggest 1.85:1 for some black and white titles.
There were some who remained consistent: Columbia started with 1.85:1 in March and maintained that ratio. MGM was the same with 1.75:1.
But one thing is certain: anything photographed before March 1953 was composed and intended for 1.33:1.
When determining the correct aspect ratio, it's crucial that the dates of principal photography be determined. We've done that research and have a complete database on the first 3 1/2 years of widescreen cinematography.
Bob

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Without having seen the film presented in WS, I can't make any definitive judgment calls, but my experience with other Republic titles from that period is that they're shot for 1.85, but of course protected (ie. keeping boom mics out, etc) for narrower ratios down to 1.37.
Universal and Paramount both ended up having the policy of shooting 2-1, the widest flat widescreen ratio, and protecting for all the ratios down. That way, no matter what a theater was running, there would be no compromise.
Of course, the only way to tell with any film is that it must be tested in the widest AR prescribed at the time and see if it works.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
haineshisway said:
I will not get excited until I've seen them. There is nothing about "mastered from an archival 35mm print" that gives me any hope whatsoever that these will be new transfers or, should they be, that they will be any good. Prints? Generations away from a negative? I will wait.
Paramount released a gorgeous DVD of JOHNNY GUITAR in Spain several years ago. It was miles ahead of the previous UK and German releases. Perhaps an HD version of that transfer will be used for the Blu-ray here.
69ca8ac6_JOHNNYGUITAR00001.jpeg

d426fff3_JOHNNYGUITAR00002.jpeg

edba107a_JOHNNYGUITAR00003.jpeg

c878db7d_JOHNNYGUITAR00005.jpeg

03b0a31a_JOHNNYGUITAR00006.jpeg

cebff2e5_JOHNNYGUITAR00007.jpeg

b352534d_JOHNNYGUITAR00008.jpeg

2bb55472_JOHNNYGUITAR00009.jpeg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I have that DVD and it is indeed miles ahead of any other. That doesn't mean that that transfer would necessarily be a wonderful thing for Blu-ray - as I said, I'll wait and see on these two. Of course, I'm hoping for the best.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
I really like that Spanish dvd of JOHNNY, and it came in a cool steelbook version, so I'm going to jump the gun and pre-order the Olive Films blu-ray hoping for the very best! I'm crazy about the movie, the Victor Young score and that Peggy Lee song!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Johnny Guitar is one of my earliest movie memories. My mother took me on a Saturday afternoon (I'm sure she wanted to see it though I don't remember her ever mentioning any particular fondness for Joan Crawford), and I can only remember bits and pieces of what I was seeing: I do remember them coming through the waterfall at the end rather vividly.

So, getting a first class Blu-ray of this movie is very important to me.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I knew the late Bob Bradshaw on whose Sedona ranch JOHNNY GUITAR was filmed. He manned one of the firehoses on top of the rocks to create the waterfall. He had lots of stories to tell. The script is really weird for a western. What I enjoy most is the red rock scenery and the vibrant color.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I should point out that Paramount, more than any other studio, was notorious for zooming in and manipulating during telecine. Case in point: the HD master of KNOCK ON WOOD currently on Netflix. You'd swear it's an Academy ratio film, but the Olive DVD is widescreen. I haven't seen it but it should be 1.66.
And the Paramount DVD of RED GARTERS, one of their first widescreen movies, is heavily zoomed in and marketed as the Full Screen Collection...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Bob Furmanek said:
During this period of transition (March 1953 - September 1956) every studio had their own house ratio, but even that was subject to change.
When determining the correct aspect ratio, it's crucial that the dates of principal photography be determined. We've done that research and have a complete database on the first 3 1/2 years of widescreen cinematography.
Bob
Is that database available anywhere?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Republic officially changed to widescreen cinematography in August, 1953.
JOHNNY GUITAR began filming mid-October.
Variety lists 1.66:1 as the ratio.
This transfer appears to be field-enlarged.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Brandon Conway said:
Blu-ray.com review for Johnny Guitar
It's Academy Ratio when Bob's research suggests it should be 1.66:1. However, the review confirms it's basically a quality HD version of the R2 DVD, so the AR discrepancy may not be a deal breaker for many.
Isn't it unusual to have a review copy so far in advance of the actual release? Has the HTF staff gotten their review copy yet?
David

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/320663/announcement-nicholas-rays-johnny-guitar-and-john-fords-rio-grande-on-dvd-and-blu-ray-from-olive/30#post_3942863
Republic officially changed to widescreen cinematography in August, 1953.
JOHNNY GUITAR began filming mid-October.
Variety lists 1.66:1 as the ratio.
This transfer appears to be field-enlarged.

Grrrrr.........

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I dunno. Looks like there's extra headroom in the caps. But, I've never seen it, so... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks