SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Annihilation (2018)

Tagline: Fear what's inside.

Genre: Mystery, Science Fiction, Drama, Thriller

Director: Alex Garland

Cast: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny, Oscar Isaac, Benedict Wong, Sonoya Mizuno, David Gyasi, Sammy Hayman, Josh Danford, John Schwab, Kristen McGarrity, Bern Collaço, Kumud Pant, Honey Holmes, Annarie Boor, Mairead Armstrong, Hiten Patel, Miroslav Zaruba, Cosmo Jarvis, Matthew Simpson, Daniel Prewitt, Kola Bokinni, Odette Michell

Release: 2018-02-22

Runtime: 115

Plot: A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply.

A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don't apply.

Director: Alex Garland
Writers: Alex Garland (adaptation), Jeff VanderMeer (novel)
Stars: Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Jennifer Jason Leigh

IMDb

Last edited:

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Some of the imagery looks like Alien: Covenant, some like Stranger Things.

I hope there's something for the soul. When stories remind you what it means to be a human being, it's always a better movie. Based on the premise and trailer, this one is going to have to hit that hard to be effective and memorable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I guess nobody includes a synopsis of the movie or at Least a link to imdb in the first post anymore

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, very troubling. Impossible to know what movie it is with the name and the year in the title! Especially watching the actual footage of the actual movie does not give any synopsis like information. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Names of a movie tell you nothing neither does the year.

I actually really appreciate you posting these threads about releases.

Just not always feasible to click a video link and those preview trailers don’t always, almost never really tell you what a movie is actually about.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ironically enough I chose to bring this up for a movie that doesn’t apppear to have a movie poster or any significant synopsis to include.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok s was what I could find.

“Davies introduced lengthy footage from Alex Garland’s Ex Machina follow-up, Annihilation, which stars Natalie Portman as a biologist sent to investigate a mysterious region on Earth. The unsettling footage showed a traumatised Portman engaging with her husband, played by Oscar Isaac, as he attempts to recount his mission in the bizarre region Portman will soon explore.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So outside the US, it can be streamed, but we have theatrical only. I think it's appropriate that the article also mentions the remake of "Shaft."

On the other hand, international people won't be able to see it in a theater as Netflix will keep it to themselves, and Netflix might not allow Blu-rays and DVDs to be distributed in their territories either. As a big fan of the theatrical release, I think we win in getting a traditional rollout for it.

I loved Ex Machina and will be happy to check this out in a theater.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I read the book during the holidays and found it a pretty interesting work. Based on what they show in the trailer I do believe there were changes made for the film. The book is primarily all the internal monologue of the biologist and is not any sort of action packed story. It basically to me seemed heavily influenced by Lovecraft, something like At the Mountains of Madness, and I really enjoyed it. There was a lot in it that I wondered how they would adapt it for the screen and still hang on to the things the story seemed to be trying to communicate.

There are two follow-up novels so this could potentially get a couple of sequels.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So outside the US, it can be streamed, but we have theatrical only. I think it's appropriate that the article also mentions the remake of "Shaft."

Do you know if the international Netflix release will be day and date with the US theatrical? If so, that'll mean that there will be pristine quality bootleg versions available immediately - I wonder how that might impact its box office. I obviously don't endorse bootlegging but I'm not aware of a previous example of a big budget blockbuster type film essentially going "straight to video" internationally while domestically it plays in theaters.

I will also be looking to see this on the big screen, anything with Alex Garland's name gets my attention these days. (Ever since the magnificent "Sunshine")

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Do you know if the international Netflix release will be day and date with the US theatrical? If so, that'll mean that there will be pristine quality bootleg versions available immediately - I wonder how that might impact its box office. I obviously don't endorse bootlegging but I'm not aware of a previous example of a big budget blockbuster type film essentially going "straight to video" internationally while domestically it plays in theaters.

I will also be looking to see this on the big screen, anything with Alex Garland's name gets my attention these days. (Ever since the magnificent "Sunshine")
I don’t know.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I read the book during the holidays and found it a pretty interesting work. Based on what they show in the trailer I do believe there were changes made for the film. The book is primarily all the internal monologue of the biologist and is not any sort of action packed story. It basically to me seemed heavily influenced by Lovecraft, something like At the Mountains of Madness, and I really enjoyed it. There was a lot in it that I wondered how they would adapt it for the screen and still hang on to the things the story seemed to be trying to communicate.

There are two follow-up novels so this could potentially get a couple of sequels.
I tried to read the novel. At about 40% thru I gave up.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks