What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
George Sidney’s Annie Get Your Gun is far better than anyone might have expected it to be given the numerous problems it faced getting to the screen.

Annie Get Your Gun (1950)

Released: 17 May 1950
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 107 min

Director: George Sidney, Busby Berkeley
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Musical, Romance, Western

Cast: Betty Hutton, Howard Keel, Louis Calhern, J. Carrol Naish
Writer(s): Sidney Sheldon (screenplay), Herbert Fields (musical book), Dorothy Fields (musical book)

Plot: The story of the great sharpshooter Annie Oakley, who rose to fame while dealing with her love/professional rival, Frank Butler.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: 77

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By:...

Continue reading...

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Hutton has gotten slammed a lot for replacing Garland, but I think she was terrific. Annie Oakley as written here was larger than life and needed a truly robust performer. After all, Ethel Merman originated the role. Hutton's enthusiasm is undeniable. Maybe too much for some, but you can't accuse her of walking through the role. More like stampeding.

:dance:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt opines that Hutton’s voice really wasn’t suited to ballads...Don’t watch, but just listen to her moving rendition of “It had to be you” from 1944...You may be surprised...???
To be fair, I said her voice wasn't suited to the ballads in Berlin's score for this show, and one listen to her tentative, occasionally slightly off-pitch and too soft (as if she were scared of singing it) chorus of "They Say It's Wonderful" was the source of my opinion.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM will be showing the 4K restoration as part of the virtual TCM Film Festival 11:45 AM May 7th EDT.

1618507940897.png

ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
19501H 47MTV-G
TCM premiere of recent 4K restoration from the original nitrate technicolor negative. Fanciful musical biography of Wild West sharpshooter Annie Oakley.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Have to disagree, Matt. I think that her "tentative, occasionally slightly off-pitch and too soft (as if she were scared of singing it) chorus of "They Say It's Wonderful" is in fact quite purposeful and very moving. But of course as always it's good we can disagree....
If you want to hear that song sung to perfection. listen to Doris Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks